PDA

View Full Version : Lodge Dutch Oven

echo154
12-08-2014, 09:24 PM
Well I scored a 5 qt Lodge dutch oven and lid for $34.95 at Wally world…..also found a good source for isotope containers……got a turkey fry burner in the garage somewhere….gonna get it set up play around a bit. Gotta get a face shield yet and a rowell #2…..and clean out the garage:groner:

NavyVet1959
12-08-2014, 09:25 PM
Do you have natural gas at your home or are you stuck with having to use propane?

bangerjim
12-09-2014, 06:09 AM
When you are re-melting your lead, do not to forget to flux 3X with pine sawdust! And skim, skim, skim. The best flux to use for making clean ingots out of dirty WW's and other lead!

If you do not have a wood shop, get pet bedding at WalMart. Do NOT use the free stuff from HD or Lowes, as they cut particle, glue, and pressure treated woods......BAD stuff.

banger

MrWolf
12-09-2014, 07:38 AM
Don't forget to get a slotted spoon to remove the junk.

echo154
12-10-2014, 12:08 PM
I have to use LP no natty gas here…I have my own wood shop and a ton of red oak sawdust…might cut up old yeller pine boards to get it to smell purty……maybe a touch of hoppes too:Bright idea: just for the ambiance!

dragon813gt
12-10-2014, 01:24 PM
If you are getting the large isotope core containers there is no need to use sawdust. They are clean lead. There are two brass plugs and a sticker that will burn off. That's all you have to remove from the lead.

NavyVet1959
12-10-2014, 02:43 PM
I have to use LP no natty gas here…

With LPG, you can go with any of the burners, depending upon the pressure you are going to be running it at. With natural gas, the banjo style burners work best in my opinion. I've hooked up a banjo burner to unregulated LPG and gradually opened the valve and was able to get what looked like a 6+ ft tall afterburner coming out of my burner. Not practical, but impressive... :)