PDA

View Full Version : AG is still Alive.... But No Internet, no Phone, and no Power...lol

AlaskanGuy
12-08-2014, 02:48 PM
we are still Alive Near Naukati Bay, Alaska (google it).... Cabin is about 1/3 finished..... Wood foundation is down, sub floor is down, back wall is up.... No Power, Internet, or phone service yet... Drove over to a friends place and sent this message...... I miss my online family here..... Wife got a Moose with the 375 h&h and the 375449.... a pretty nice 60 inch bull.... I will try to post a pic next time I run into service.... prolly be a month or 2 before I get service though....

here are some pics...123967this is the simpe shop building we put up in order to store our tools and work on chainsaws... we power it with a small generator....

Our Chainsaw mill in action making 2 sided logs for the walls, and making planks that we use for flooring and roofing....
The property is very remote, and all of the logs/boards that we use to build with come from our land.....

Here is a Pic of the moose the wife got with my 375 and the 375449

and finally, a pic of me working on the flooring of the cabin.....

Miss you guys... I will Post an update next time I can find an Internet connection.....

AlaskanGuy

John Allen
12-08-2014, 03:01 PM
The cabin is coming together I hope you get everything done soon. Lets see some more pics once everything is up and running.

Beagle333
12-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the pics and the update! [smilie=s: Have fun and be safe at it. Jealous here. :coffeecom

DougGuy
12-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Man they need to get you on Life Below Zero! You guys are doing it up there!

starmac
12-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I bet that mill is a slow go for the deminsional lumber you need, not to mention a little bit of work too. lol
Glad to see you have some tyvec trees down there, sure speeds things up in a pinch. lol
It also looks like Alaskagurl is keeping the bellys full too.
If we don't hear from you again this year, have a Very Merry Christmas on the homestead.

Plate plinker
12-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Completely jealous..... Keep it up and best of luck to you.

stuck here in civilization. :/

ph4570
12-08-2014, 06:58 PM
Very good. Thanks for the update.

MrWolf
12-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Keep us posted on the progress as some of us live vicariously through you! I am jealous as you and the family are having a great adventure. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ron

smoked turkey
12-08-2014, 10:46 PM
What you all are doing is totally awesome. Such memories. I think you should write a book about it. Stay warm and safe. Send us more pics and report when you can.

Artful
12-08-2014, 11:22 PM
Well, Happy Belated Thanksgiving - Merry Christmas - Happy New Year
Nice Bull she shot - Nice work on the homestead
You all stay safe and warm.
Thanks for posting the pictures, we appreciate 'em.
Oh, and did you find the boolit or did it sail clean through?

dilly
12-09-2014, 12:28 AM
Nice hearing from you AG.

you might find it humorous to ear that I thought someone heard something about Al Gore and was making some kind of "invented the internet" joke from the thread title.

GabbyM
12-09-2014, 12:40 AM
Wow that's some real hardy living you are doing.
First Lady and I are worn down from two days of stripping and waxing vinyl floor. Big building with a hurry up date.
Not showered out yet so still stink of acid stripper and propane exhaust fumes. Something tells me you are having more fun than I am. :bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
swweeet !

Cowpoke
12-09-2014, 04:36 PM
That's every Real Man's dream right there! Congrats and good luck!

smokeywolf
12-09-2014, 05:33 PM
Really appreciate the pics and narrative. The chainsaw may be slow goin', but beats the heck out of an adze.

Already looking forward to your next report.

smokeywolf

MaryB
12-09-2014, 10:57 PM
Think I would be looking for a small portable sawmill... I have used the chain saw method and it is slow going

starmac
12-09-2014, 11:27 PM
Probably not a lot of sawmills on craiglist in his area, infact no craigslist in his area. lol
The alaska mills are slow, and work a chainsaw hard, but sure handy to get out in the bush. Just gettin to where he is at, is pretty spendy, so you choose what you take carefully.

MaryB
12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
Yeah, land itself is not cheap out there, I checked! I need to find an old farm site in MN to buy... one with enough space for a minimum 500 yard range... ahh dreams but not on my budget right now

starmac
12-10-2014, 12:39 AM
The price of land varies widely here, depending on a lot of things. On a road system, on a waterway, ocean front, then the biggy, is power available. If you want fly, atv, snowmachine, or foot back access only a lot of it can be bought relativly cheap. Another thing, is it is Alaska, just because it is land, even on a road system with power available does not mean it is usable land. There is as much or more accessable land that is not fit for anything except for raising registered mosquitos. lol

MaryB
12-11-2014, 02:12 AM
Being from Minnesota I am used to eating mosquitoes and black flies lol I am to beat up to consider it now. Back is to far gone to be building in wilderness.

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2014, 05:33 AM
I can not imagine sleeping in down bag every night with the stars for my roof this time of year in Alaska.

Also being the main course on the menu every day and night to every critter and insect that wanders by.

Ed in North Texas
12-11-2014, 11:11 AM
Nice hearing from you AG.

you might find it humorous to ear that I thought someone heard something about Al Gore and was making some kind of "invented the internet" joke from the thread title.

No, no. Ag is Algore.

Seriously, AG. A very Merry Christmas and all the best for the New Year to you and your family. And to all the Cast Boolits members and their families.

dragonrider
12-11-2014, 01:29 PM
AG I can't imagine having the energy it takes to accomplish what you are doing. Good luck to you.

TXGunNut
12-11-2014, 01:48 PM
Wow! Looks like you're having a great time. Stay healthy, stay safe. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

jmort
12-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Very impressive. An ideal that, as noted, many dream of doing.

starmac
08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Long time no hear nothing, hope all is well.

Has any member had any correspondence with AG?

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-29-2015, 12:26 PM
I'm wondering the same thing

osteodoc08
08-29-2015, 06:54 PM
I'm hoping he's still back in the bush enjoying some much needed solitude.

jonp
08-29-2015, 07:16 PM
He sucks but in a good way. If he has a narrow kerf chain the sawmill works pretty good but if he nailed down green lumber its going to work.

Hope all is well up there and alaskangurls moose is a fine animal!

jonp
08-29-2015, 07:17 PM
I can not imagine sleeping in down bag every night with the stars for my roof this time of year in Alaska.

Also being the main course on the menu every day and night to every critter and insect that wanders by.
Boy I can. Its my dream. I slept outside in africa guarded by guys with sweet 375 h&h rifles listening to lions roar. Its something else

Bad Water Bill
08-29-2015, 08:07 PM
jonp (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?28312-jonp)

Before volunteering to sleep out there you better check the date I posted that statement.[smilie=s:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

jonp
08-29-2015, 08:59 PM
jonp (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?28312-jonp)

Before volunteering to sleep out there you better check the date I posted that statement.[smilie=s:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/statusicon/user-offline.png

lol, I saw the date. I know this is an old thread, no reference to you intended [smilie=s:

starmac
08-29-2015, 09:07 PM
The date is what concerns me. lol I know he has at the very least been to places with internet service, just hoping he had other more important stuff to do than worry about logging on here.

bearcove
08-29-2015, 10:14 PM
That is very possible, I'm working on moving and I forget all about the internet.

JonB_in_Glencoe
05-31-2016, 11:19 PM
I was thinking of AlaskanGuy today.

This thread started 18 months ago was his most recent post.
But his profile shows he logged in 6 weeks ago.

I wonder why he didn't post an update of his adventure ?

starmac
05-31-2016, 11:26 PM
Sure wish he would at least post that everyone is healthy, have even contemplated a road/boat trip down there to look him up.

Bzcraig
06-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Great to hear from you see you and Alaska Girl are doing well and accomplishing your goals!

Artful
06-01-2016, 01:02 AM
But his profile shows he logged in 6 weeks ago

- maybe too busy to do more than see if we are still here after all the fun we have been having.

Buck Neck It
06-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Hillbillies must have got him. Loggers call Naukati "Deliverance".

He is also right there on the best chinook salmon fishing that is to be had, west coast Prince Of Wales island.

I bet that he is picking and grinning and dragging a herring, and slugging big Kings.

I will report back if I see him on the grounds.

Blackwater
06-02-2016, 01:28 PM
I've only been in Alaska once, and then only passing through, but what good ol' country WOULDN'T fall in love with it? The air was so "clean smelling" for lack of a better description! It was a country boy's paradise. But I'm too old and have too many health problems to ever get back, I'm afraid. I sure get a great vicarious thrill from photos like yours, though. What you're doing is what I'd have loved to have done at one time, but I got married too young, and was pretty well locked in to staying here. I'll never lose the feeling for Alaska that I got that first time I was there, though. It's a "hard life" in some respects, but oh so satisfying! I wish you and your wife and cabin and friends well. It's good to see folks who still CAN do what you're doing.

jonp
06-05-2016, 10:09 AM
I'd be interested to hear about his adventures. I hope he logs in and gives us an update.