PDA

View Full Version : He'll on wheels

Skunk1
12-07-2014, 08:12 PM
My wife's grandfather was in the hell on wheels division under Patton. I have been installing wood floors in her mothers house and opened up a closet to be done and there it is. 2 yard long photos of Patton (and of course pattons dog) and the troops. Wow!!! Almost put a tear in my eye. Almost putting tear in my eye just typing this. Her grandfather passed away before I could meet him. What I wouldn't do to hear some stories. My wife loved him.

William Yanda
12-07-2014, 09:54 PM
My BIL just recommended O'Reilley's latest book on Patton. Said it realleges assination rumors about his death.

ncbearman
12-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Thats really cool! Lots of hero's in his army. Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation told some of them. Here's my hero ( my Father)

Patton's 3rd Army • 42'-45' • Ranger • Forward Observer • landed at Normandy in the 2nd wave • 2nd and 1st Lt. battlefield commissions from Patton himself • Bronze Star recipient • Purple Heart w/2 Clusters • He was on the 3rd tank to go into Bastogne during the battle of the bulge

He wasn't real forthcoming with "stories" he saw alot of action and lost alot of friends. We saw "Saving Private Ryan" together and he said That the first scene represented what happened to a T. The only thing missing was the smell of dead fish. There was virtually nothing that would rattle his cage while I was growing up. He was very even tempered.

tygar
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Can you post the pictures?

John Allen
12-08-2014, 01:09 PM
Post some pics I would love to see them.

mac60
12-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Thats really cool! Lots of hero's in his army. Brokaw's book "The Greatest Generation told some of them. Here's my hero ( my Father)

Patton's 3rd Army • 42'-45' • Ranger • Forward Observer • landed at Normandy in the 2nd wave • 2nd and 1st Lt. battlefield commissions from Patton himself • Bronze Star recipient • Purple Heart w/2 Clusters • He was on the 3rd tank to go into Bastogne during the battle of the bulge

He wasn't real forthcoming with "stories" he saw alot of action and lost alot of friends. We saw "Saving Private Ryan" together and he said That the first scene represented what happened to a T. The only thing missing was the smell of dead fish. There was virtually nothing that would rattle his cage while I was growing up. He was very even tempered.

Thank you very much for sharing that!

Circuit Rider
12-10-2014, 10:37 PM
ncbearman, My older Brother drove a tank in the battle of the bulge. His wife said he still woke up screaming up into the late 50's. He refused to speak of his time over there. He passed about 10 year ago. Miss him greatly. CR

ncbearman
12-10-2014, 11:30 PM
ncbearman, My older Brother drove a tank in the battle of the bulge. His wife said he still woke up screaming up into the late 50's. He refused to speak of his time over there. He passed about 10 year ago. Miss him greatly. CR

CR- That was an amazing generation of men and women. They really understood what Liberty and Freedom meant and what it takes to be able to have those things. They believed that 1 person can make a difference. Very similar to the Founding Fathers and their perseverance. I'm sure they are on the right hand of God now.

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 08:01 PM
My father was in the 3rd Marines and survived the liberation of Guam. He told me a little bit of what actually happened. I now
know why the WWII guys didn't want to talk about the war. A book
about it would be very interesting.