PDA

View Full Version : Bisley and boolit score again

Thumbcocker
12-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Slept in till 05:00 yesterday because the weather called for cloudy. When I got up the moon was shining bright and the wind was blowing 16-24 mph. I decided not to take the tree stand because of the wind. It had rained all day Friday and the creek was out in the bottom where I had planned on hunting. At the last minute I decided to hunt in our white oak woods which are on higher ground. It took forever for shooting light to get there because the clouds had rolled back in. I sat at the base of a big white oak tree where I could watch an area where three draws come together.

It was so windy that the squirrels were sleeping late instead of bugging me. Around 9:00 I texted a friend who hunts in another county. He hadn't seen anything either. I decided that I was gong to pack it in at 10:00. Around 9:30 I decided to rattle just a little since the wind dropped to a dull roar and the squirrels made an appearance. At about 9:40 I saw mama longhead with two offspring on the hill north of me. I saw her body first but her rump and head were covered by trees. One of the youngsters was giving me the stare down. Finally I saw her head and figured out which end to shoot at. The wind was out of the North and they were north of me so they were not quite sure about me.

I had eased the Bisley up earlier and pulled the hammer back. The range was 40ish yards. I got a good sight picture on her shoulder, started to dip the front sight in anticipation of the recoil, fought that impulse down, started my squeeze with nothing but the front sight in focus. Bang. Nice H110 flash in cloudy timber shot felt right and if I see the muzzle flash I know I didn't flinch. She ran down hill out of sight. I saw two deer come out on the next hill. I was worried but then I saw one doe look back. I went over to where she had been to look for blood. No blood. Creeping doubts. Took two steps down the trail and saw her piled up about 30 yards from where I shot her. Hole dead center through both shoulders exactly where I was holding. It was not the longest shot I ever made but it was a pretty shot sitting on the ground unsupported. Mrs. Thumbcocker helped drag and brought the truck out.

Load was 429421 hp from an I deal mold 50/50 ww and lead pipe, lubed with lithy-bee and sized .431. 22.0 of H110. Golf ball sized hole in both lungs. The freezer is filled and I am happy.

Wolfer
12-07-2014, 10:03 AM
Sounds like a good hunt. I have the hardest time telling whether a doe is big or small in the brush. Head length is what I look for.

Im glad to know I'm not the only one that has to fight down the impulse to dip in anticipation. Lots of people have the urge to dip but many do not know or believe they do.
Hunting with a pistol will make you aware of anything you do wrong.

Beagle333
12-07-2014, 10:04 AM
Can't argue with results like deer on the ground 30 yards from the shot. :D Good job and happy eating!!

taco650
12-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Congrats! Elmer Keith would be proud ;-)

CastingFool
12-07-2014, 07:26 PM
Congrats on the doe! I'm still looking for my 1st handgun deer. Will have to wait till next season, as I'm already tagged out. Could buy another doe tag, but I think I had enough excitement this season.

T-Bird
12-11-2014, 07:13 PM
As we say down here, "Niice-un!" she'll eat good. T-Bird

white eagle
12-11-2014, 09:22 PM
excellent

shoot-n-lead
12-11-2014, 09:46 PM
Im glad to know I'm not the only one that has to fight down the impulse to dip in anticipation. Lots of people have the urge to dip but many do not know or believe they do.

And, I am worse on deer than I am at the range. It is always the last thing that I check for before pulling the trigger on a deer.

OP. great job and some mighty fine table fare, also.

Tradhunter
12-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Great job! Thanks for sharing.