PDA

View Full Version : Head light

starmac
12-07-2014, 01:42 AM
I have owned a lot of different headlights over the years, actually use one daily right now.
Yesterday I met a single headlight that flat blinded me from some distance off. I had to completly stop, and still didn't know what was coming until the lead dogs in the dog team went by my drivers door.
I don't know what kind of headlight the guy was using, but if I had of had one of them back when hunting coons in Texas, I could have lit a coons eyes up in Alabama. lol

geargnasher
12-07-2014, 01:50 AM
Always been partial to the Coast brand triple LED one. Not nearly as bright as the one you describe, though.

Gear

Mk42gunner
12-07-2014, 02:17 AM
Yep, some sort of LED. I have a flashlight the size of an old 2 D cell light that throws a better and brighter beam than any Wheat light or Nite Lite that I ever used while coon hunting. It uses 6 AA batteries and they last for several months using it as a flashlight.

Robert

2wheelDuke
12-07-2014, 02:59 AM
I have a Streamlight headlight that I bought for hunting. It can run a single green LED, 3 green LEDs, or a single white LED. The white LED is brighter than the xenon Mag Lite that I thought was like a spotlight when I was a kid. My head light takes 3 AAA's and lights up a gator's eyes from a LONG way out.

I find myself using it for stuff around the house sometimes too, and have some cheaper versions that I keep in the truck or tool box.

Modern tech is amazing. I have a little LED light that takes a single AAA that's brighter than any handheld lights from a decade ago.

starmac
12-07-2014, 06:29 AM
I have several led headlights, and thought they shined, but they are about like a candle compared to whatever this guy has. lol

compass will
12-07-2014, 10:16 AM
There is a company making them for bicycle riders. So bright they need an external power pack you wear on your waist. I will try to remember to look it up.

Petrol & Powder
12-07-2014, 11:36 AM
Mine is pretty bright but you have to add carbide and water occasionally :kidding:

MrWolf
12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
There is a company making them for bicycle riders. So bright they need an external power pack you wear on your waist. I will try to remember to look it up.

Picked up this for my wife's bicycle. The battery pack straps to the frame. She loves it and it is bright -1200 Lumens for what it is worth.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GJZ015Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

geargnasher
12-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Mine is pretty bright but you have to add carbide and water occasionally :kidding:

I have one of those, too, but the leather band rotted away years ago. Where do you buy sodium carbide these days? I had some in an old rusty, IMR-powder looking can, but it corroded through and all reacted away years ago, fortunately without blowing up the store room.

Gear

popper
12-07-2014, 03:56 PM
Last 2 projects I worked on 1 million candlepower copter light (border patrol) and 747 front landing light. Arc lamp for the chopper & 60 white LEDs for the 747. Either would do the job for you.

fecmech
12-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Where do you buy sodium carbide these days?

Don't know where (Welding supply??) but I'd be happy to give you some from my can if you stop by. Might be a bit old as the price tag says $1.25.

Petrol & Powder
12-07-2014, 05:29 PM
It is Calcium Carbide and there was a company in West Virginia that made it. It is essentially limestone & some type of carbon heated in an airtight kiln.

Houndog
12-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Any welding gas place that makes Acetelene probably could fix you up, but getting them to is another thing! The last I bought came from Air Gas about 25 years ago.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-07-2014, 05:51 PM
I use a cheapo Harbor freight headlamp for carrying firewood into the house from the woodshed (no lights in there). Works excellently for close range stuff and walking in the dark, where you want your hands free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8bLrOp4Us

I think wiljen had a GB for a LED headlamp ???

Lee
12-07-2014, 05:57 PM
calcium carbide.

MrWolf
12-07-2014, 06:16 PM
I use a cheapo Harbor freight headlamp for carrying firewood into the house from the woodshed (no lights in there). Works excellently for close range stuff and walking in the dark, where you want your hands free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH8bLrOp4Us

I think wiljen had a GB for a LED headlamp ???

He did and I got one. There is no comparison whatsoever. I had to use an LED headlamp to do a repair the night before mine arrived and it was lacking. Wiljen's offers four different settings and damn it is nice and bright but there is also a huge difference in price. The cheap Harbour Freight type LED's have there usage but if you need a brighter light, Wiljen's works great.

Ron

aspangler
12-07-2014, 06:23 PM
It is Calcium Carbide and there was a company in West Virginia that made it. It is essentially limestone & some type of carbon heated in an airtight kiln.
If you need carbide try this link.
https://www.lehmans.com/

geargnasher
12-07-2014, 06:35 PM
Right, calcium carbide, maybe that's why I had a hard time finding some for the light when I went looking a few years ago. My rememberer isn't getting any better with age. Thanks for the link.

Gear

starmac
12-07-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't know where he gets it, but carbide is still readily available. I have a friend with a machine shop that still uses a carbide torch, instead of acetalene.

For my use now with headlamps, the super bright ones actually defeats the purpose. For up close work the light will actually glare back at you, making it harder to see than a duller light.

MaryB
12-07-2014, 09:15 PM
545 Lumen Cree LED head lamp http://www.amazon.com/HC50-Super-bright-Waterproof-Flashlight-Nitecore/dp/B00JN27PRM

900 lumen http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-HL55-rechargeable-EdisonBright-Batteries/dp/B00NF41WC8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SKZ4PWM3ZKHXWZQ02VJ

If memory is right 360 lumens is equivalent to a 40 watt bulb

jeepyj
12-07-2014, 09:29 PM
545 Lumen Cree LED head lamp http://www.amazon.com/HC50-Super-bright-Waterproof-Flashlight-Nitecore/dp/B00JN27PRM

900 lumen http://www.amazon.com/Fenix-HL55-rechargeable-EdisonBright-Batteries/dp/B00NF41WC8/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SKZ4PWM3ZKHXWZQ02VJ

If memory is right 360 lumens is equivalent to a 40 watt bulb
I bought 320 Lumen 2 AA battery flashlight recently because the wife and I walk after dark and that is unbelievably bright. I can't even imagine how bright a 545 lumen is. I'd be interested in trying one of those out.
jeepyj

firefly1957
12-07-2014, 09:39 PM
I have a $15 Ozark trails (i think that is the name) from Wally world that surprises me it has four light settings Bight still bright but less then it uses smaller LEDs for light and a set of red LED which do not sem bright but animal eyes reflect well over 50 yards away. I tossed the container if i remember correctly at brightest setting 3 AAA batteries last 3 hours then 7 hours then much more.
This one is similar http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20040-Ozark-Trail-150-Lumen-Multi-Color-Headlamp/29295368

dilly
12-08-2014, 11:27 AM
I'm a big fan of my new Wiljen headlamp too.

I find myself using it while I carry stuff out to and in from the shed at night pretty often. It's great because it allows me to see the dog poop on the bottom of my shoe when I don't watch where I'm going.

Seriously though, it puts my other cheapo headlamp to shame.

geargnasher
12-08-2014, 12:43 PM
I have outfitted the vehicles and exterior doors of the house with Streamlight Strion C4 LED rechargeables, but they prove to me more often than not that there is such a thing as a light that's too dang bright.

Gear

dilly
12-08-2014, 01:03 PM
I suppose I should add that the low setting is quite tame for working on things close up or invery low light situations where your eyes are super dilated.

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Sounds like what I used many years ago,"AIRCRAFT LANDING LIGHTS" instead of the regular hi beams when we had 4 lights across the front.

While driving on W80 near Neceeda Wi in the night a car came at me with his Highs on and would not dim them no matter how many times I turned my lights off and on.

Finally I hit the switch and he got hit with 2 landing lights.

Down went his and he only had parking lights left.

The squad car that had been following me for several miles turned on ALL of his and waved a salute to me as he took off after the idiot.

Think I still have 1-2 laying around somewhere.

Ask anyone that ever stood wheel watch how bright they really are?

starmac
12-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Bill that is exactly what I run for highbeams in both of my KWs and just two weeks ago, switched out the high beams in the log truck with landing lights. lol

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Do tend to get folks attention don't they?:bigsmyl2:

starmac
12-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Naw, I just use them to see, I have plenty of Hid's if I want to get their attention. I have to turn them off as soon as lights come in sight, when meeting someone, even if it is a couple of miles out, that is when the landing lights come on, till they get close. lol

KAF
12-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Silverstar bulbs are nice. MOST people have NO clue on how to aim headlights, most that blind are aimed to high. As for blinding a on coming driver at night is not real smart.....then there are TWO blinded drivers.

starmac
12-08-2014, 06:48 PM
When them hid's come on to get someone to dim their lights (rarely) they dim them quick, then there are no blind drivers, but believe me when someone refuses to dim theirs, I am all about both of us driving blind.

Bad Water Bill
12-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Years ago dealers had a unit to put in front of your car and your lights could be adjusted correctly.

I think I paid about $5.00 at that time.

I have not seen or heard about one in over 40 years now.

country gent
12-08-2014, 10:54 PM
I have a mines lamp still and a couple little burners we use them to smoke iron sight to reduce glare. I get calcium carbide at commercial row during the national;s at camp perry. Otherwise while leagal to own and have it can only be shipped by truck, no carriers will transport it. The last one pound can I bought was union carbide labeled. Used to hear the lights and little burners poping up and down the high power lines before a match. Done right a miners lamp sounds like a firecracker when lit LOL. Does sting the palm though. I have several of the new High lumen lights and they are bright great for seeing or being seen but in close areas or working on equipment they are almost to bright.

starmac
12-09-2014, 12:28 AM
I have several that you turn it on then hit the button again to turn it off, then hit it again and it comes on in red then the next go round it is flashing red or something to that affect. I hate them, I like to turn a light on and off, do not need all the other junk. Half the led flashlights come with a lazer now and are just as aggravating to use. The headlights I use every day now are just some relatively cheap ones and has 2 buttons, you can turn it on so that it comes on and off with a motion sensor (wave your hand in front of it, and it only operates the LIGHT, not all the other fufaraw, plus the beam has good adjustment to it.

dragon813gt
12-09-2014, 12:41 AM
I really like the one from Wiljen's last group buy. I will be buying more in the future. W/ four intensity levels the light won't wash out what you're working on.

When it comes to vehicle headlights North American spec lights are garbage. They allow to much upwards glare. European beam patterns have a distinct cut off line which focuses more of the light on the road. And depending on if they're for LHD or RHD the beam angles up at the edge to light up road signs. Anyone that has a European make car is best served by swapping your headlights out w/ E-codes. All the NA regulations when it comes to lighting is decades behind where it should be. Another nice thing about E-codes is all you need to align them is a level surface, garage door and tape measure. The cutoff is that sharp. The reason you're blinded by HIDs is because of the poor NA beam pattern. Along w/ people installing HID bulbs in reflector housings made for halogens, which is illegal, instead of a proper projector. Run a Google search if you're bored because it's interesting. First thing I do to my VWs is swap out the headlights.

starmac
12-09-2014, 02:20 AM
My headlights has not dot approved right on the lens, it is not something I worry about as I like to see. I swap the low beams for ones that uses an H4 bulb. (they are legal) except I swap the bulb for one that is off road use only. The housings I buy do have the cutoff reflectors, they shine so far and just stop. The landing lights shine a ways out there. My hid's are mounted higher and light the night up for over a mile.

CGT80
12-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Last night, I used wiljen's headlight while retrofitting my headlights. It got dark on me, but I wanted to get the project done. One of the sealed beams went out on my 79 Chevy pickup. The LED lights are still high in price, so I went with a Hella conversion (DOT) that has a 55/60 watt lamp. The truck has 6" round headlights. The light from wiljen's headlamp was good enough to strip wires and solder them, in total darkness. I used the 3rd setting, as the 4th is very bright and only runs for a minute. It puts any maglite to shame, but can be adjusted so it is easy to work by. I didn't think the headlight would give good enough light to finish the project, even though I was impressed with it when I got it. The light is very natural looking and the headband was pretty comfortable as well.

The Hella lights were nice and bright on my truck (also did a relay upgrade for the headlights) and I could see a definite cut off when aiming them at a wall, and I could see the angled portion on the right to illuminate signs. Another guy on the CK5 forum is going to buy the GE LED 6" auto headlights and let us know how they do. They are listed at $275 each on amazon with a $100 coupon to make it $175, limit one coupon per person. ***? Cars and trucks take two headlights. He will get his girlfriend to buy the other one for him.

starmac
12-09-2014, 10:37 PM
I just spent close to 500 bucks on new headlights for my dodge. They are super nice and bright for about 40 feet, then nothing. lol After I got them installed I went to adjust them, nope not happening, you have to remove them and adjust them from the BACK. What kind of moron came up with that. On this pickup I have to drop the bumper down to get the lights out, it is not a 5 minute job. lol

gbrown
12-09-2014, 10:51 PM
Here's one--kinda pricey!! How many cases of Harbor Freight lights and batteries could you buy for the same price? Don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

http://brighteyeslights.com/

MaryB
12-09-2014, 11:21 PM
No specs on lumens or brightness... pass!

Here's one--kinda pricey!! How many cases of Harbor Freight lights and batteries could you buy for the same price? Don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

http://brighteyeslights.com/