PDA

View Full Version : Old retrobate got his buck (Do I care? Belle doesn't...)

ohland
12-06-2014, 02:32 PM
Old timer went out with his in-line muzzleloader on Friday and got a nice little 8 pointer. I guess that falling on icy steps and being in significant pain for ten days has it's advantages... For me, my WI gun deer tags will most likely be unused... Nor will they be missed. As long as my Brittany Spaniel can hunt, that is far more pleasurable than deer hunting.

PS. Yes, the last part of "spaniel" was removed from the breed name, _ HOWEVER _ if one searches for "brittany" it most likely will result in meaningless hits on a artist.

runfiverun
12-06-2014, 10:44 PM
you mean this?
my favorite song by her....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXzj8cWKKlk

ohland
12-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I am sure that Brittany is a musical genius known for the left one and the right one.

Last night, the old retrobate was cutting up some cooked venison, and Belle stood at the table with both front paws on it. She looked very intent. Daddy's little helper...

montana_charlie
12-07-2014, 02:33 PM
PS. Yes, the last part of "spaniel" was removed from the breed name, _ HOWEVER _ if one searches for "brittany" it most likely will result in meaningless hits on a artist.
There are (or were) a number of bird dogs classified as spaniels. Cocker, Springer, English, and Water Spaniels - to name some of the prominent ones.
I was not aware that the 'show people' had removed the last half of 'Brittany Spaniel'.

That is a real shame because the breed IS a spaniel-looking dog ... which hails frim Brittany.

I guess they dropped the 'spaniel' because the dog hunts more like a pointer.
(A quick search reveals the name changed in 1982. Boy, am I behind the times!)

When I was a boy in Texas, my Dad had a bird dog that was half Brittany and half blue heeler.
That made for an interesting hunting style ...

CM

ohland
12-07-2014, 03:03 PM
half Brittany and half blue heeler. That made for an interesting hunting style ... CM

But if it hunted as hard as my Brittanies do, it was a machine... Did it herd pheasants?

montana_charlie
12-07-2014, 10:38 PM
... deleted ...

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Had German Shorthairs and no one just called them "germans".
Had Brittany Spaniels and everyone shortened it to Brittanies.
I guess people like short forms. Some people even spell
boolit as "bullet". Takes all kinds.