PDA

View Full Version : How to keep freshly cast bullets shiny

shamu25
12-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I have been casting .257 bullets in 73 gr from my Lyman 257420 mold. I am using soft roofing lead. The bullets cast beautifully and come out very shiny. I then lube with Lee Liquid Alox and size through my Lee sizing die. I then soak in mineral spirits to remove the Alox before shooting because I am using these in an air rifle and air guns do not like wax of any kind. After the mineral spirit bath and then wash in hot soapy detergent the bullets look gray and ugly. Sure wish I could maintain the silvery luster from mold to shooting bench. Any thoughts on how I may change things to keep the shine?

1911KY
12-05-2014, 09:21 PM
Clear Powder Coat!

RKJ
12-05-2014, 09:26 PM
Use a old t-shirt and wipe them between your fingers. that seems to clean them up for me.

Outpost75
12-05-2014, 09:28 PM
Omit the Liquid Alox step and instead lube your bullets after washing in the hot soapy water and size them wet.

Rinse in clean water then let them air dry. If they oxidize it is because you are using chlorinated city tap water.

If that is the case use distilled water to rinse.

geargnasher
12-05-2014, 09:53 PM
Lube them with 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water and size them wet. Pre-diluted coolant works, too, use either the "global" or standard green, NOT Dex-Cool or HOAT coolant with SCAs. Throw a towel in the bottom of the box you store them in to soak up drips.

Gear

shamu25
12-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Wow thanks guys....didn't know it could be that easy. I just took 10 bullets and rolled them in liquid dish detergent and sized them and rinsed with distilled water and they still look shiny and new. I am on city water and hadn't thought of the chlorine problem. I may try the antifreeze also. .257's are quite small and hard to hold on to when slippery but it does solve the problem.

RickinTN
12-05-2014, 11:31 PM
Or just run them through the sizer as they drop from the mold. Don't coat them in anything. Unless you are sizing them down several thousandths I don't really see the need for any lube.
Rick

44man
12-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Soft lead is a pain so get the sizing in order first, then spray with something like Birchwood-Casey barricade and let dry. Works for my RB's. Just a light coat and if any are wet before you shoot, roll in a rag to remove excess. It usually dries and should do no harm in an air rifle.