PDA

View Full Version : Buck with CVA Optima

tomcat388th
12-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Shot this old 8 point last night with my inline, this was my second encounter with him this year. Early Nov I had him and a 160'ish 10 point during the rut running a doe at around 15 yards bowhunting neither one would stop for a shot. He came out into one of my food plots with a doe and her yearling walking straight toward me. At 65 yard he went on point looking right at me in the ground blind I did have 4 doe's behind me at around 80 yards so I dont know if he was looking at them or me. Anyway I shot him head on low in the chest with a .451 300grain XTP over 100grains of blackhorn 209. The bullet took out the top of the heart lungs and liver. He ran about 50 yards and piled up. I had my 44 super redhawk with cast but I wasn't comfortable with the shot. For a j bullet I have been really pleased with them out of my inline this is my 6 or 7th deer with them.

RED333
12-05-2014, 07:46 PM
Congrats!

richhodg66
12-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Very nice deer. Is the Optima the one they also make centerfire rifles on the same action?

44man
12-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Very nice one, good shooting. Now put the SRH to work! Have to leave the rifle home though.
By the way, your garage looks as bad as my basement! :bigsmyl2:

OverMax
12-06-2014, 10:11 AM
Nice Buck!! By chance is this pictured one. One of those Illinois corn fed bucks we all hear about? >>>"Lucky Ol' Dog you are." Congratulations Sir.

tomcat388th
12-06-2014, 11:06 AM
Yes Brown county IL my mother in law owns 150 acres. She and her brother are in their early 70's both still deer hunt with crossbows and muzzle loader they shot these last year with cross bow. Ed's deer we never seen while hunting but I have trail cam pics of him from 2 years ago during the rut. Carolyn's deer discoverd a row of white oaks between 2 set aside fields you could set you watch in the evening with him when they started to drop he came out of the neighbor standing corn about every other night she set up a popblind in the brush and shot him at 25 yards. Ed's deer was shot from an old out house that him and my father made into a blind. It was raining sidways when Ed shot him came in checking a scrape at about 20 yards. This year we have stayed off the does we got hit pretty hard the last 2 years with EHD in place and we had hammerd on the does too. Hoping to let them get built back up a little. Her farm is starting to get some nice bucks on it now its taken a while to get them to pass on up and coming deer plus our neighbor has the same mind set

tomcat388th
12-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Very nice one, good shooting. Now put the SRH to work! Have to leave the rifle home though.
By the way, your garage looks as bad as my basement! :bigsmyl2:
I just dusted in there should of seen the wife trying to get the best looking clutter in the picture
Justin

RED333
12-06-2014, 11:33 AM
I just dusted in there should of seen the wife trying to get the best looking clutter in the picture
Justin

My wife just busted me on the mess in my reload room, yours know mine?

koger
12-06-2014, 11:36 AM
Great deer, thanks for sharing pic an story!

Screwbolts
12-06-2014, 12:39 PM
Very nice deer. Is the Optima the one they also make centerfire rifles on the same action?

I know the question was not aimed at myself, but it is not the Optima per-say that offers switch barrels to center fire. It is an "Optima pro" that allows for different barrel configurations. They are different rifles by material of the receiver and also some by design. A "Pro" is a form 4473 type rifle, an Optima is a ML.

Ken