PDA

View Full Version : cast boolits, powder coat and seating/crimping 'speriment

prs
12-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Sage advice often seen here is to seat and then crimp in separate steps. For new members, the rational is that if the bullet is still moving down in the case as you seat the crimp will plow lead and the crimp will not be what it should be. Especially applicable to taper crimps, but also some relevance to roll crimping into a crimp groove.

But, loaders using those unmentionable store bought projectiles within copper condoms seem oblivious to the need to crimp separately, without consequence (strictly hear-say to me, as I have NEVER used such projectiles). Berry's plated type, I dunno. Then comes powder coated real boolits. Can the hard and durable coating withstand seat/crimp all in one stage? I'm 'a gonna find out soon. Why. So a boolit feeder can be used on a 5 stage progressive in place of the seating die and ahead of the seat/crimp die. 45ACP will be my test round. Will report back.

prs

prs

Tatume
12-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Although I seat and crimp separately and recommend it, people have been seating and crimping in one step for many years. If the crimp is not excessive, and it shouldn't be in 45 ACP, then the crimp will not be in contact with the bullet until the bullet is almost completely seated. So it should work just fine.

sdcitizen
12-04-2014, 05:42 PM
It shaves lead, same as any other cast boolit. I actually find more of a need for the crimp when powdercoated, the coating is too slick!

prs
12-04-2014, 06:59 PM
It shaves lead, same as any other cast boolit. I actually find more of a need for the crimp when powdercoated, the coating is too slick!

Interesting. I have been using my PC boollits for the past several thousand rounds and have not changed my crimp as compared to traditionally lubed boolits. I am leaving the leading edge of the case mouth at .470" either way. I plan on setting-up the combination die to do the same as this is very reliable in my three 45ACP pistols. If the process shaves lead and/or PC, then it will be a deal killer for me.

prs

williamwaco
12-04-2014, 07:12 PM
I have done it both ways.

If your seater/crimper die is properly adjusted and your cases are consistent in length. Seating and crimping in the same step will not damage the cast bullet. ( Assuming it has a crimp groove.)

I have not used the two step method in many many years.

PS: Your bullet must have a crimp groove to do this.

twc1964
12-04-2014, 09:32 PM
I seat and crimp my 45 acp loads in one step. I crimp to .471 and it doesnt shave my boolits at all. Im using the 452-230tc from lee and they are powder coated. Oh, they shoot great too!

prs
12-05-2014, 11:46 PM
WilliamWaco; no crimp groove on the chosen boolit, just the typical clone of 68 swc in 45ACP cases. My cases do tend to be very consistent of length. I have about 60# of these to PC, but it is too humid right now for best result right now. I set the seat crimp die this evening and tested on uncoated boolit and it did pooch the lead ahead of the case mouth with .470" crimp. I could go to .472" to just snug the case to the boolit and still plunk in my barrels. Need to get some coated to see.

prs

popper
12-06-2014, 06:13 PM
I seat & crimp separely. I tried with extreme 40sw, same step, didn't work. No crimp groove on any of my moulds.