PDA

View Full Version : Case colored ARs

dakotashooter2
12-04-2014, 01:09 PM
I've seen a few now and think they are ugly as heck. It just seems like case coloring is at its best as a trim. Too much just seems to "muddy" the look of a gun................ Kind of like engraving.....some is elegant too much is gaudy..................

paul h
12-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Case coloring anything but a classic steel firearm is silly at best.

I enjoy AR's for what they are, but when you mention one being case colored, this is the visual that comes to my mind.

http://www.everythingcebu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/j12.jpg

dragon813gt
12-04-2014, 01:27 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's best to remember this. If everyone liked the same thing the world would be a dull place.

Mk42gunner
12-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Case coloring anything but a classic steel firearm is silly at best.

I enjoy AR's for what they are, but when you mention one being case colored, this is the visual that comes to my mind.

Nice Jeepney paul. That is one of the few that I have seen that actually has doors.

Robert

merlin101
12-04-2014, 01:49 PM

Not quite my cup o tea, but someone sure put A LOT of HARD WORK into it.

dakotashooter2
12-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Or more commonly "the beerholder"...............

NavyVet1959
12-04-2014, 03:20 PM
Oh, I don't know... A case hardened steel AR with walnut stocks? I could go for that...

http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/1TAR10.jpg

Not really a fan of the gold inlay or the very glossy wood though. I like wood with not so much shine so that it doesn't look like plastic.

http://www.machineshopdpm.com/webphotos/AR15wood_0642.jpg

dakotashooter2
12-04-2014, 05:14 PM
The engraving on that one helps offset the case hardening so it looks better than all the ones I have seen but it still seems like putting a bow on a PIG.................

bruce drake
12-04-2014, 08:26 PM
That is a Turnbull AR15. He's known for his restorations of classic firearms with that case hardening. So by extension, he cut the upper and lower receivers out of steel versus the standard aluminum and case hardened them and engraved them as showpiece rifles. They are also 2-5 times the cost of run of the mill standard AR15s as well. The handguards, buttstock and pistol grip are laminated wood as well.

Bruce

dragon813gt
12-04-2014, 08:58 PM
$3k for one of 100 made is a good price. They're going to be collectibles. I have to figure out how to swing this one.

NavyVet1959
12-04-2014, 09:12 PM
I would like it if we at least had the option (at a reasonable price) for blued steel AR lowers and uppers.

For many of us, the weight savings of using aluminum vs steel is not a prime consideration.

bruce drake
12-04-2014, 10:51 PM
There are Steel AR Lowers and Uppers that have been made by several companies in the past (Essential Arms, DPMS and a few others) but I'm not sure if they are in current production as it takes a bit of milling to get the forging done properly.

Bruce

Artful
12-04-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not buying a stainless steel M16 lower's when they first came out.

dkf
12-04-2014, 11:09 PM
You can get titanium AR lowers but the price tag is steep.

The M4ergery barrel and cut FSB on those Turnbulls really looks like **** IMO. Everything else on them looks good.

DR Owl Creek
12-05-2014, 02:40 PM
Oh, I don't know... A case hardened steel AR with walnut stocks? I could go for that...

Not really a fan of the gold inlay or the very glossy wood though. I like wood with not so much shine so that it doesn't look like plastic.

I really like the case hardened finish on many of the classic firearms. The gold inlay in particular is a little too much for me, however, on an AR. The price really puts it out of my reach too. Nice to look at though.

Dave

MtGun44
12-05-2014, 05:28 PM
Steel ARs. . . . . . . As if the HBARs aren't already heavy enough. Hard to see why
this would be a good thing.

Color cased, in my opinion, not on an AR, but it looks good on SOME older style
rifles, like rolling blocks, break action shotguns and certain revolvers. It can be
overdone and most of the modern fake 'approximations' are pretty ugly messes
and have prevented me from buying a few firearms.

Bill

NavyVet1959
12-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Steel ARs. . . . . . . As if the HBARs aren't already heavy enough. Hard to see why

rifles, like rolling blocks, break action shotguns and certain revolvers. It can be

With a gun like the case hardened that I posted, you probably carry it from your car to your shooting bench. I don't think the weight is much of an issue when carrying it that short of a distance.

dragon813gt
12-05-2014, 07:21 PM
They are safe queens and possibly see light range duty. Weight is of no concern to the owner. I don't see someone buying one to carry on the field. And if they do, more power to them.

NavyVet1959
12-05-2014, 07:40 PM
They are safe queens and possibly see light range duty. Weight is of no concern to the owner. I don't see someone buying one to carry on the field. And if they do, more power to them.

Agreed...

Besides, a typical M14 would weigh 9.2 lbs empty and 10.6 lbs with a fully loaded magazine. A typical M16 would weigh about 7.18 unloaded and 8.79 loaded. The M1 weighed anywhere from 9.5 to 11.6 lbs. Even if you add a steel lower, upper, and wood furniture, an AR is probably not going to be so heavy that you would not be willing to carry it to your shooting bench. :) Even in the field, it's still lighter than many of the rifles and shotguns that we carry hunting. Besides, if you are going to be doing any serious amount of shooting, the weight of your ammo is going to be at least twice the weight of your firearm anyway.

garym1a2
12-05-2014, 07:45 PM
In AR's you are better off spending your dough on Barrels, trigger, optics and rail. The receivers don't add much to the guns as they don't need the weight to soak up the recoil.

Artful
12-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Bill

On a full auto like M16 it is a longevity thing - the pin holes don't wallow out over time as quickly.

dkf
12-06-2014, 07:46 PM
In AR's you are better off spending your dough on Barrels, trigger, optics and rail. The receivers don't add much to the guns as they don't need the weight to soak up the recoil.

The barrel extension to upper receiver fit is critical if you want an accurate AR. Some upper receivers have poor fit some have such a good fit you have to put a little heat to the receiver to expand it so the barrel fits.

Billairgun
12-06-2014, 08:37 PM
The AR service rifle I use for Highpower matches is almost 17lbs with the cuff and but stock weights. I find it helps with my offhand and sitting scores, but use a range cart to get everything to the firing line and that I can rest the rifle on between shots.

DCM
12-07-2014, 12:04 AM
I would also like the Turnbull better without the gold and gloss, nice rifle.

Billairgun has a good point about legal "service rifles" the one I shot NTIT with weighed in at almost 20# and that helped to win a few leatherneck trophy's.
My course gun was lighter but still way more than most would want to carry in the field etc.

dragon813gt
12-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Turnbull's basic AR has no inlay. You can pick one up for $3k. They're available now and you can get one w/ a single digit serial number if you so desire.

oldsagerat
12-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Well now, if I get the AR case colored and put wood stocks on it,
should I cut off the gas and make it a single shot? How about using
cast boolits and black powder.

NavyVet1959
12-13-2014, 01:14 AM
Well now, if I get the AR case colored and put wood stocks on it,
should I cut off the gas and make it a single shot? How about using
cast boolits and black powder.

There are bolt action uppers available. Maybe not in steel, but I'm sure that if you *really* wanted, someone could do it for you for the right price. That's one of the good things about living in a capitalistic economy -- if you have the money, someone has something that you can spend it on. :)

Some of us already use cast bullets in or ARs though.

And if you choose the wrong powder for a .300 AAC, you end up with a single shot anyway since it won't cycle the action. My experience has been that if you use Red Dot with the .300 AAC with a 230 gr bullet, you end up with a single shot.

smoked turkey
12-13-2014, 01:32 AM
For me blue steel and walnut are very hard to beat. The color case hardening is icing on the cake. No bones about it an all steel with walnut would be what I would buy if I thought I could afford to own one. They are really really nice looking rifles in my humble opinion. Mr. Turnbull does a nice job on all his work. I don't have any of it and probably won't but I recognize quality when I see it.

TXGunNut
12-13-2014, 03:00 AM
To be perfectly honest when I first heard of the Turnbull AR's I thought it was silly. Then I saw some on their website. Very nicely done, just like everything else they do. I even like the casehardened 1911's.

GoodOlBoy
12-13-2014, 06:17 AM
What can I say I am an oddball. I would rather have a Parkerized or Case Hardened AR with hardwood stocks than any of the fancy tube guns, or even the military/civy plastics. Could be the reason I don't own an AR is that I liked guns made with wood and steel....

GoodOlBoy

Edster
12-13-2014, 06:37 AM
If I could afford it I might consider the Turnbull. For now I have this

2wheelDuke
12-13-2014, 06:48 AM

I like the the lower one. I wanted to build one before the panic, but obviously that plan had to go on hold. Now that parts are showing up again, I might be able to make it happen.

jonp
12-13-2014, 08:11 AM
$3k for one of 100 made is a good price. They're going to be collectibles. I have to figure out how to swing this one.

I have my doubts on that

smoked turkey
12-13-2014, 10:12 AM
Well Edster your not exactly afoot by any means. That's a good looking AR.

Love Life
12-13-2014, 10:15 AM
To be perfectly honest when I first heard of the Turnbull AR's I thought it was silly. Then I saw some on their website. Very nicely done, just like everything else they do. I even like the casehardened 1911's.

I picked up a beater Commander just for the purpose of having the frame CCH and Carbona Blued.

dragon813gt
12-13-2014, 10:42 AM
I have my doubts on that

You may, I don't. Why would a limited production firearm from Turnbull not become more valuable in the future? Even if he trashed his name in the future it would be like a Pre '64 Winchester. How many unpopular guns are valuable today?

Hardcast416taylor
12-13-2014, 10:53 AM
You can put lipstick and a party dress on an ugly old pig to dress it up....but it`s still an ugly old pig!Robert

dragon813gt
12-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Judging by most of the women I see w/ kids American men prefer pigs.

shaper
12-13-2014, 11:41 AM
I kind of like the wood look. where would one look to buy a wood stock and forearm?

Edster
12-13-2014, 11:46 AM
I kind of like the wood look. where would one look to buy a wood stock and forearm?

The laminated stocks that are on mine came from Boyd's. Windham Weaponry has several models now that come with the laminated handguard and buttstock. Mine is the 308 version. I think I might eventually get the 223 model as well.
You can buy the stocks from directly from Boyds

Billairgun
12-13-2014, 12:27 PM
I was looking to see what wood stocks are available and stumbled on this.
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/images/rifles/hiresjpg/R16M4FTT-NYTHD-R.jpg
I don't know what to think is it supposed to be a pistol?

TXGunNut
12-13-2014, 12:45 PM
I picked up a beater Commander just for the purpose of having the frame CCH and Carbona Blued.

That's an excellent idea but for some reason I've never had a "keeper" Commander, then again they've always been LW's and not candidates for CCH anyway. My longtime default off-duty/concealed carry gun is a Defender in .45 and it's had a hard life. Now that I'm a little easier on guns maybe I should move up to a pretty one.
I honestly don't know what I'd do with a pretty AR though.

Edster
12-13-2014, 12:50 PM
I was looking to see what wood stocks are available and stumbled on this.
http://www.windhamweaponry.com/images/rifles/hiresjpg/R16M4FTT-NYTHD-R.jpg
I don't know what to think is it supposed to be a pistol?

That is the new NY compliant EVIL BLACK RIFLE. New law says no pistol grips, adjustable stocks and a bunch of other nonsense---this is the work around

Cmm_3940
12-13-2014, 05:28 PM
That is the new NY compliant EVIL BLACK RIFLE. New law says no pistol grips, adjustable stocks and a bunch of other nonsense---this is the work around

Wow. Ugly. That said, I don't know how much I would trust that buttstock attached at only the pistol grip, as opposed to the normal location on the receiver extension.

More on topic, Boyds sells an AR stock set in your choice of laminates, etc.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/design-gallery/ar-15-replacement-gunstock

Garyshome
12-13-2014, 05:32 PM
Stainless AR, I'd like to see one. Mine is all Black!