PDA

View Full Version : Yet another problem casting bullets

DickelDawg
12-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Here I am again. Now have gotten small amounts of lead on the face of my .490 roundball mold. How do I get it off without damaging the mold.

Char-Gar
12-03-2014, 11:15 AM
Get the mold to casting temp, touch the lead spot with a little wax or bullet lube and pour a little molten lead on the spot and the spot and new lead will run off.

runfiverun
12-03-2014, 11:45 AM
I just wipe it off with a shop rag when the mold is hot.
you can help prevent it from sticking by using something on the top of the mold.
a little 2 stroke oil, that mold-prep stuff works here too, I use a swipe of anti-seize on top of my molds.
then if I open the mold a little [lot] too soon the lead swipe is on top of something, I can just wipe it off with the rag re-pour the boolit and quickly re-apply the A- seize with a q-tip before dumping it out.

Tatume
12-03-2014, 02:11 PM
I keep a little piece of yellow pine on my bench. If I get lead on the mold top I just rub the hot mold with the end grain of the stick, and it comes right off.

Bullwolf
12-04-2014, 03:38 AM
I keep a couple of chopsticks from Chinese take out food around while casting for just this purpose, since I can't eat very well using the dang things.

While the mould is hot, I can usually manipulate a wooden chopstick decently even when wearing gloves, and I just use it like a wooden chisel to pick the lead speck off the mould. The key here is to have your mould at operating temperature while doing this.

For really stubborn flecks of lead, a beeswax candle pressed to the speck while the mould is hot, and then the chopstick will easily flick it off.

If you have a problem spot, go over it after removal with a carpenters pencil, or apply a small dab of Bullplate sprue lube, or generic 2 cycle oil on the spot sparingly using a Q-tip. A speck of lead will have a much harder time sticking to that same spot after this sort of treatment.

- Bullwolf

Wayne Smith
12-04-2014, 08:51 AM
As above, but a bamboo skewer. The pointed end helps with the vent grooves.

GP100man
12-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Stop getting lead on the face of the mold !

Good suggeations on removing & are you dropping rejects directly back into the melt?? If so it`s splashing & gettin on the face, I don`t do dat no more.

For rubbin it off when hot I use the little wood cuticle stiks from the beauty store. Hey ,I had to go with SWMBO & found summtin that made me say "HHumm I can use those for summtin makin boolits"

GP

DickelDawg
12-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks again, gentlemen. Sorry to be such a pain.

mdi
12-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Don't apologize for a question! If you were in fact a pain in the butt, we'd let you know, besides, each question will supply info. for all readers, even us "old timers"...:veryconfu

paul h
12-04-2014, 03:02 PM
You won't learn unless you ask, and most folks here are more than happy to help out a new guy. We were all a new guy at some point and somebody, or many somebodies helped us along the way. Either that or we made every possible mistake you can imagine, many you couldn't imagine and were just stubborn enough to stick at it and bumble along.

prs
12-04-2014, 03:09 PM
We done skint that cat ever which'a way.

The bamboo skewer points work on cold molds for me and no harm. Char-Gar's method is one for me to put in my data base. Neat idea!

prs

bangerjim
12-04-2014, 03:25 PM
If a little lead is your only problem casting as a new caster........you are doin' jesssssss fine!!!!!!!

Reading all the problems newbee's have, a little lead stuck is nothing. Just follow all the excellent ideas above and find out which one you like. I just use a simple wood stick on a hot mold.

banger

GP100man
12-04-2014, 09:51 PM
wE LIKE IT !! wE LIKE IT !!!

GP