PDA

View Full Version : Bullet casting & shooting back in 1907

w30wcf
02-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Looking back to the November, 1907 issue of the National Sportsman, A.B. Curtis of Martin, Mich. explains how he casts, loads and shoots lead alloy bullets in his 30-30.

National Sportsman November, 1907
HOW TO RELOAD .30-30 CARTRIDGES.

In the September issue, page 315 is an article by Fred Stevenson who seems to have trouble in reloading 30-30 cartridges. Judging from what he says about it, he does not get the mould and lead hot enough. He must have the mould and lead very hot. also evidently he uses too much powder. I use a .30-30 Marlin and with Ideal tools; No. 1 powder measure. No. 3 reloader "not to crimp;" and muzzle sizing die.

Bullet moulds are Perfection No. 3085-139 to 219 grs. weight, and No. 308241-125 grs. wt., the latter being my favorite. I use Ideal pot and dipper and an alloy composed of 90 parts lead and 10 parts tin. Use a gasoline stove to melt it, and this gives the most uniform heat. I heat the moulds to a hissing point on one burner and then, proceed to "cast."

These bullets are as near perfection as can be made: the "mould," casts them .311 1/2 and the sizing die in the No. 3 tool leaves them .309 1/2, while the rifle is .308 at the breech and .307 1/2 at the muzzle. This bullet is loaded in shell over second groove, so it is held by friction (not crimped) with 18 grs. (Ideal Measure) of DuPont Smokeless Shotgun, or New Schultze, or Dead Shot loose in shell (ho wadding) is all that could be desired of a load of this kind.

I have also used 9 grs. of Infallible, 12 grs. Velox, 12 grs. of Sharpshooter Rifle, Smokeless, and 11 grains of DuPont .30 caliber annular, the amount always being measured with the Ideal No. 1 measure. I have weighed some loads and the slight variation of the measure does not warrant weighing the powder for a hunting rifle.

The cost of this load when paying 8 cents a pound for lead, 47 cents a pound for tin and $1.75 per 1000 for primers and $1.00 a pound (7000 grs.) for powder, is about $4.83 per 1000. I generally buy junk lead at about 5 cents per pound, reducing the cost to about $4.35 per M.

When shooting at target the bullets are recovered and the cost still les¬sened. I use the Lyman No.2 rear sight and raise the sight about 5 notches to make this load "point blank;" from this point it takes about 1 1/2 notches for 100 yards and
5 notches at 200 yards.

All powders above mentioned shooting about the same loaded as stated; the 18 grs. measure of DuPont weighed about 7 grs., grs. Infallible, 5 grs. weight; 12 grs. Sharpshooter equal 7 grs. weight.

I have also used the Perfection No. 3085 bullet, 180 grs. cast 90 percent lead, 10 per cent tin with 23 grs. (measure of Dupont), and while testing this load at 200 yards, I succeeded in making several 5 shot groups that measured around 5 1/2 and 6 inches as a group, also one 4 1/2 inch and some 3 shot groups less than 4 inches. The penetration of this load is about 14 inches of pine, but the bullet does not expand; the lighter lead, 18 grs. Dupont Shotgun, 125 grs. bullet weight 121 grs. penetrates about 11 inches.

While with 17 grs. and with a pure lead bullet (No. 308241) the penetration was about 8 inches and the ball was expanded some. At 100 yards muzzle rest using the above load I have placed 5 shots in 1 53/100 inches as a group and made many 1.75 and 2 inch groups, placing 15 consecutive shots in the 4 inch bull that measured 2 1/4 inches as a group and most of them being between the center and left edge,• using 18 grs. Schultze ~new~ and 90-10 bullet No. 308241 weighing 121 grs. 10 percent tin makes the metal flow much better than pure lead.

In a run of 240 shots at 100 yards, the average group was 2.91 inches, while the score, standard American count, was 88.79 percent. or 88 3/4 per 100 points. I always save the empty shells, these do not break often. I have a few that I have had for five years. I generally keep about 200 in stock. I lose more when hunt¬ing rabbits, but of course when shooting at a running rabbit you do not take time to look where the shell goes.

I have reloaded about 3000 shells and since using the tools, etc., described, have had no trouble. I like the Marlin because the parts are few, strong and simple. I can take mine all apart with an old pocket knife, and like the 30-30 be¬cause it is a light rifle using inexpensive, accurate hand loaded ammunition and at the same time a powerful shooter and ought to bring down the largest game (when properly handled). This latter adding about 90 per cent. to the killing power of any rifle, be it an eight bore English Express or a 25-36 Marlin.

I have shot the 170 gr. soft point through 5/16 inches steel plate and it cut a hole about 1/2 inch in diameter, so when anyone tries to tell me that this load would flatten the bullet on anything’s skull, and not penetrate, they are simply wasting ink or words, as the case may be.

I would like to ask these fellows that have bean writing such stories to the National Sportsman if they think that a moose or bear skull will give more resistance to a bullet than an ox? If so, our big game rifles must penetrate about three inches of steel tearing a hole as big as your fist. All rifles that do not do this are mere toys for big game hunting. I have read many cases where bear were killed with a 25-36. If this is true, then, why a cannon?

Returning to the reloading, I wish to say that I have used alloy of 10 parts genuine babbit, and 90 parts lead, also No. 4 babbit pure, also Ideal alloy pure and half-and-half, all of which work well. Would advise Mr. Stevenson to write the Ideal Company advertised in the National Sportsman and read their catalog carefully.

Hoping this will give Mr. S. some light on the subject and wishing more a greater success to the National Sportsman, I remain,
Very Truly Yours,
A.B. Curtis Martin, Mich.

looseprojectile
02-14-2008, 02:38 PM
w30WCF;
Just recently I bought a copy of The breech loading single shot rifle by Ned Roberts and Ken Waters.
This book is a good read on the target and hunting rifle loads near the turn of the century.
I have gained a valuable insight into the methods these men used to make accurate loads when those same men were winning money at the target shoots of that time.
The few things that have changed due to technology have allowed us to better controll the quality of our efforts.
I get the feeling that even in those relatively primitive times that some of those guys lived and breathed rifles and ammunition much like some of us. It was not just a hobby it was and is a passion.:castmine:

Denver
02-14-2008, 04:03 PM
And nowhere in the article is there any mention of wheelweights. :kidding:

w30wcf
02-14-2008, 05:56 PM
looseprojectile,
A friend has that book and I have had a chance to read it. Yes, it is a very interesting look back in history. The early Ideal manuals have a lot of historic info as well.

Denver,
Since most cars probably didn't do more than 30 m.p.h., the wheel weight, as we know it, most likely had not been invented yet.

w30wcf

randyrat
02-14-2008, 10:51 PM
Thats very interesting, the silver stream flowing 100 years ago in words. I like reading writen words from years ago to see the different ways of writing and use of words. To top it off, writing about the 30-30 win round and it's effectivness.

Ken O
02-14-2008, 11:23 PM
<<The cost of this load when paying 8 cents a pound for lead, 47 cents a pound for tin and $1.75 per 1000 for primers and $1.00 a pound (7000 grs.) for powder, is about $4.83 per 1000. I generally buy junk lead at about 5 cents per pound, reducing the cost to about $4.35 <<per M.

Hmm....it looks like the old casters were as frugal as us. I'm kind of a hoarder for all components, I can't remember when anything got any cheaper.

Buckshot
02-15-2008, 03:10 AM
<<The cost of this load when paying 8 cents a pound for lead, 47 cents a pound for tin and $1.75 per 1000 for primers and $1.00 a pound (7000 grs.) for powder, is about $4.83 per 1000. I generally buy junk lead at about 5 cents per pound, reducing the cost to about $4.35 <<per M.

Hmm....it looks like the old casters were as frugal as us. I'm kind of a hoarder for all components, I can't remember when anything got any cheaper.

................Gotta remember that back then a dollar was REAL money! I'm not just talking that it was just worth more, but that it was real. You fill your tank with gas now and hand the guy a paper $20 and $10 and 2 $1 bills and they're worth about $1.24.

Or you could hand the clerk about $3 in pre-64 silver coinage and the value would be the price indicated on the pump. Of course they will want the paper, because they don't understand the whole silver coin thing.

Back then, Mr Curtiss' Marlin 1893 cost maybe $16 or so, if it was the standard rifle. Probably very close to a person's entire weekly paycheck, if not a bit more. Of course, the Fed's and the state weren't sucking 23% or more of it away before he got it.

.............Buckshot

rhead
02-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Did you notice that the ratios of the prices have not shifted very much? powder has gone up a little more than primers and tin has gone up more than lead scrap lead has gone down in relation to pig lead. $4.35 in silver would be about $53 or $54 today. Using unique and wheel weights at .10 per pound I could break $60 per thousand but not $55. I probably work less for $60 today than Mr. Curtiss did for $4.35 in 1907. Prices haven't changed much in silver, but in labor (the currency that is meaningful to me because that is how I pay for the stuff I buy) they are cheaper now than they were then.

blackthorn
02-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Did you notice that the ratios of the prices have not shifted very much? powder has gone up a little more than primers and tin has gone up more than lead scrap lead has gone down in relation to pig lead. $4.35 in silver would be about $53 or $54 today. Using unique and wheel weights at .10 per pound I could break $60 per thousand but not $55. I probably work less for $60 today than Mr. Curtiss did for $4.35 in 1907. Prices haven't changed much in silver, but in labor (the currency that is meaningful to me because that is how I pay for the stuff I buy) they are cheaper now than they were then.

Ahh yes!!! Those who pine for the long ago-----should remember the outhouse at 40 below!
Even at today's prices I can acquire a lot more of most products than I could in 1959 for the money I got/get for an hours work. The most notable exceptions are housing and new motor vehicles, multiplied by the usurious rates when people feel the need to use credit cards.

mroliver77
02-15-2008, 01:06 PM
It appears Mr Curtiss knew a thing or two about casting/shooting in the 30-30Marlin. He obviously has slugged his bore. He is shooting a boolit .0015 over groove diameter. He is preheating his mold. When he states "no wadding" I assume he is talking fillers? He prefers the use of the 125 grain boolit. I find this interesting as some of our modern levergun gurus claim that the 125 gr is optimum for the 30-30' case size.
A 2-1/4" 15 shot group. looks as though he could hold his own against most of us given the same sights. Funny, nomention of FWFL or using the Bruce B speed casting method.
J

KCSO
02-15-2008, 01:52 PM
According to Monkey Wards the Marlin was $11.64 plus shipping. Loading tools were about $2.50. But that was on a wage of 25-30 dollars a MONTH. It is almost impossible to equate buying power as there was so much that you didn't buy in 1900. Buckshot mentioned gasoline, but for most folks gas was a CLEANING fluid and you bought maybe a quart a year.

Now to the instructions, a special thanks as i save all this kind of stuff in my old loading books. In my personal experience the old reloaders knew most of the tricks for getting good bullets and could probably best us in a shoot on just about any day. What they didn't do was demand a sienticif explanation for everything. They knew what worked and didn't care WHY. The other thing is that unless you were a real pal the old timers didn't share information like you see here. The basics were out thee but the fine details were each shooters secret to be pryed out at the cost of many rounds at the bar. Whne I started in the 60's I had old men who were castin in the 1900's tell me on pain of death, secrets to casting good bullets that I still see here every now and again. I was lucky enough to get lessons on casting good bullets on my Grandfather's wood stove. Things like, " for casting use only good oak or red elm wood as it burns hotter and holds a better heat", "Don't over stoke the fire", "Hold the dipper to the bottom of the pot and stir twice then hold the full dipper to the mould hole for the count of three".

felix
02-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I guess 50 years from now you will get the real "facts" from a car board about Indy engine internals. Folks I have met who have that experience (to some degree) will not divulge trade secrets. ... felix

NVcurmudgeon
02-15-2008, 02:12 PM
Interesting that in 1907 meticulous casters did pretty much what we do. Boolit fit was and is everything. It looks as if Mr. Curtis thoroughly studied the potential of the .30/30.

Two of Mr. Curtis' contemporaries spoke well of the .30/30. Theodore Roosevelt after killing an antelope at (IIRC) 200 yd. Roosevelt said "the little thirty is the ace." Townsend Whelen in describing a long hunting trip in British Columbia wrote that "The 30/30 is not to be despised as an all around rifle." Whelen had both full power jacketed loads and cast small game loads. We have to try our hardest to equal 1907 state of the art.

TAWILDCATT
02-15-2008, 08:44 PM
I went to work for $.35 cents an hour on a punch press.4 pm to 12 am.
paid 35 cents for 100 primers and used bulk shot gun powder $1.00 lb.filled 32S&W longs full.the old merlin & hulbert.stood up to the load.used Ideal tool with built on mold.had 73 win in 32/20 and the win tool and mould[still have tool & mould].your far better of today then $14 a week.few could afford a car.street cars at 5cents a ride.:coffee:--[smilie=1:----:Fire:

Bret4207
02-16-2008, 09:32 AM
................Gotta remember that back then a dollar was REAL money! I'm not just talking that it was just worth more, but that it was real. You fill your tank with gas now and hand the guy a paper $20 and $10 and 2 $1 bills and they're worth about $1.24.

Or you could hand the clerk about $3 in pre-64 silver coinage and the value would be the price indicated on the pump. Of course they will want the paper, because they don't understand the whole silver coin thing.

Back then, Mr Curtiss' Marlin 1893 cost maybe $16 or so, if it was the standard rifle. Probably very close to a person's entire weekly paycheck, if not a bit more. Of course, the Fed's and the state weren't sucking 23% or more of it away before he got it.

.............Buckshot

23%?!?!? Try 38-40% in NYS!