PDA

View Full Version : Couple shotgun questions - buckshot, zinc, .36 cal

WolfSpring
12-02-2014, 07:05 PM
So I moved recently and I was unpacking I found 2 pounds of zinc just chillin in a box and thought now that I'm getting into shotguns and want to reload them what if I used zinc to make buckshot, and with that thought would my .36 cal mold work for 000 buckshot? I know it's not as hard as steel so it wouldn't be true buckshot but it's something I could use and shoot right? It's an 18 1/2 inch 12 gauge with no choke it was 100 bucks for the gun so it's not like it's a precision machine that I'm using for hunting more for fun and home defense right now.

And on that thought as long as I clean my mold using zinc shold not affect my black powder ball casts should it? I've read up a lot on here about zoolits and guys using them on purpose and getting decent results.

Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Thanks

runfiverun
12-02-2014, 09:06 PM
36 is what diameter? 375 or so right? or .750 for two.
.750 is 10 guage or a real back bored 12 [the mossburg 835 was bored this diameter]
try putting two side by side in a wad and measuring the thickness, even cutting off the petals may not be enough.

you may get 6 in a wad.[shrug]
you can make some loads up pretty easily but I'd really be concerned about bridging down the barrel or in the choke.

jmort
12-02-2014, 10:04 PM
#0 .320" buckshot is the largest that will easily stack side by side in a wad. #00 will dimple. #000 .360" is used stacked side by side on a gas seal with a wrap, not a wad.

USSR
12-02-2014, 10:10 PM
#0 .320" buckshot is the largest that will easily stack side by side in a wad.

+1. Spend $20 and get a .319" Lee 2 cavity round ball mould and make life easier for yourself.

Don

BAGTIC
12-03-2014, 03:15 AM
Buckshot isn't steel either so the zinc will be harder that any buckshot you will ever use. It is about 2/3 as dense as lead. It will not expand. Penetration of the round balls is basically dependent on momentum density so to equal penetration of hard non deforming lead balls will require increase impact velocity. As the zinc is lighter some increase should be possible though at short range it should not matter much as the larger caliber balls should penetrate a bit better than usual 000. You will just have fewer pellets. What do you plan on using them for, two legged or four legged critters?

WolfSpring
12-03-2014, 05:09 AM
Thank you for the insight.

Honestly right now I'm in the chalk board mode, as far as what, playing for now, learning. I'm not planning on shooting any animals with this shotgun at all, maybe down the road I may get a good hunting shotgun. This is an old winchester 1200 with a pistol grip and cut off 18 1/2 inch barrell it cost me $100 so it's more for fun. I completly spaced that .36 cal is .375. I just want to learn reloading of shotgun, I already do rifle and pistol. Buck shot is hard to find and when I do I don't like the price for it so I was looking at alternatives, I don't need it, I want to try it. I am more a pistol for HD person, that and I live on a military base so I don't need it as much. The zinc toxic thing was new to me so I think I'll scrap that idea but still wouldn't mind after I learn actual shotgun reloading with the right sizes making some exotic rounds, maybe two .375 balls and some bird shot at a target to see the effects.

Thanks agin for the responses I don't post on here much but I learn so much from so little by reading.

dondiego
12-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Zinc is not very toxic.

35remington
12-04-2014, 12:12 AM
They put it in vitamins. I don't think you'll be putting zinc buckshot in your mouth in great quantity, so I think you're good.

runfiverun
12-04-2014, 02:59 AM
zinc is used in those over the counter cold stoppers like zicam and airborne.

your idea of learning to load shotshells before mucking about with the high performance stuff is a very good one.
shotshell loads are a whole different world, pay attention to the exact recipe and make a bunch of comparisons between the published loads.
you'll quickly notice that a primer change or a wad change can drastically change the pressure of the load.