PDA

View Full Version : Fiber optic sights for the 336

rbstern
12-01-2014, 02:44 PM
I've had a tough time adjusting to shooting iron sights with prescription glasses. I'm doing ok, but under pressure, I sometimes miss an easy shot because I don't pick up the front sight (standard gold bead) well enough. My hunting buddies keep saying "get a scope!", but I stalk a lot, and like being able to carry my 336 with my hand around the receiver, and I've never cared for the look of scopes on lever guns. If I wanted to shoot with a scope, I'd be carrying a bolt gun.

On the other hand, I've got fiber optic sights on my muzzleloader, and I shoot great with it. Enormous difference in visibility, no struggle at all. I've also considered a peep sight, and that's my backup plan, but I want to go with what I already know works for me.

But I'm having a heck of a time figuring out which fiber optic sights to buy. My Marlin 336 is a CS model, late 1980s/early 1990s, if I recall correctly. Buckhorn leaf style in the rear dovetail, and the front ramp is screw-attached to the barrel, with a dovetail insert front bead sight.

I've looked at the Truglo sights, but have read confusing reviews about the front sight height. Many people complain the front sight is too tall. This is for Truglo's # TG114. Meantime, on the Truglo sight, they show TG109, with a shorter front sight, for Marlin. Yet, in their PDF spec sheet, they list the TG114 for the 336. But the Truglo "Lever Action Rifle Sets" web page says "not for carbine barrels."

Could they make it any more confusing?

Anybody have a fiber optic front and rear on their Marlin? Guidance appreciated.

dragon813gt
12-01-2014, 03:14 PM
This is just my opinion. But I would go w/ a Skinner peep and a fiber optic front since you like them. The rear aperture is a lot easier to pick up then a buckhorn or two dot rear. Height is the issue and I can't help because I always buy brass posts and file them down to the correct height.

polebilly
12-01-2014, 04:39 PM
Put a Williams peep sight on and get the shortest Marbles fiber optic sight and install it in the front base that's already on the gun. Works for my old eyes.

pietro
12-01-2014, 06:51 PM

FWIW, I've been using fibre-optic sights on all my iron-sighted rifles since the sights were first introduced, many years ago - so I'll try to K.I.S.S. :bigsmyl2:

First, a few things:

FO sight blades are (like ivory or Gold bead front sights) available in:

* Two different bead sizes ( 1/16"/fine & 3/32"/coarse).

* Multiple different heights (measured from the top of the sight to the bottom of it's male dovetail).

and

* Several different colors (red, orange, green, yellow, etc, etc) to accommodate the different color perception of different shooters.

* Available from several manufacturers (Williams, Marbles, TruGlo, Hi-Viz, T/C, & more).

IF you intend to stay with open sights, FO sights can be had in different colors (like a red front & green dual dot rear, one dot on each side of the sighting notch) - AND you should go with ANY FO sight that's the same height as the current sights on your rifle.

HOWEVER, if you intend to install a receiver peep sight, a front sight approx 1/10" higher than the issue front sight is indicated, in otder to zero the rifle with the higher (than open sights) receiver sight.

Cabela's, MidwayUSA, & Brownell's all carry a fibre-optic combination of front & rear sight, ostemsibly for the Winchester 94, but will also fit your Marlin (BT, DT).

Here's what the Williams FireSights look like:

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/70217dovetailfiresightset.jpg

http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/images/63331fp94seset.jpg

Scharfschuetze
12-01-2014, 07:18 PM
+1 on the above suggestions for an aperture sight. Keeps the rifle slim and trim, but will give you some real advantages over standard sights. My personal choice is for an old Redfield or Lyman Model 66 sight as they allow for precise adjustments for various ranges or differing boolit weights.

rbstern
12-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Good info and appreciate all of the opinions.

MT Chambers
12-03-2014, 05:09 AM
I'd go with a Skinner or similar rear sight and the firesight front, if you don't change the rear sight just measure the height of existing front sight and order accordingly.