PDA

View Full Version : Various Lyman cast bullet handbooks?

RickinTN
12-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Hello All,
I'm in the process of shopping for a Christmas gift for a friend. I gave him the Lyman 4th edition a few years ago and he has enjoyed reading it. He is not a caster and will probably never cast a bullet but does enjoy studying the subject. I have decided I would give him a Lyman 3rd edition this year and have found what should be a quality re-print. In searching I also found copies of the Lyman 1st edition from 1958 and the 2nd from 1973. I am familiar with the 3rd and 4th but not the earlier editions. Other than nostalgia would there be any benefit to giving him one of the earlier editions as well? And if so, which one?
Thanks for your input in advance,
Rick

prs
12-01-2014, 10:03 PM
I have each and the Third is the most functional although the 4th lists a few of the Lee boolits that are not similar to Lyman designs. The older two you mention are mostly nostalgic at this time, but good reading from a perspective of a time past.

prs

jmort
12-01-2014, 10:16 PM
I assume you are talking about the Third edition from Cornell Publishing. It is well worth the $$$ I paid for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lyman-1980-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-3rd-Edition-/371043570984

RayinNH
12-01-2014, 10:41 PM
The nice thing about #1 and #2 are the pictures of the long out of production molds that they used to offer.

WILDEBILL308
12-01-2014, 10:51 PM
One nice thing about the older books is finding load data for older "obsolete" calibers.
Bill

MT Gianni
12-02-2014, 09:14 AM
I rate them in order of use 3, 1, 4, 2.

JRD
12-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Years ago I met Ken Ramage and mentioned reading the Lyman Cast Bullet handbooks. He specifically warned against using the data in the old spiral bound editions. He said the editions that he edited, Lyman verified all the load data on pressure testing equipment.
Older editions he said used "submittal data", that people had sent in to Lyman as their favorite loads. Ken said he tested those submitted loads on the pressure test equipment when he was doing the newer editions and found some of the loads to be quite high in pressure.
I enjoy browsing through the old loading books, but be wary of the data without first verifying by multiple sources. Pressure measurement wasn't as good back in the day if it was done at all apparently.

Guesser
12-02-2014, 11:49 AM
I find #1 to be my best choice, but then I don't load modern cartridges.

rintinglen
12-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Other than the information on obsolete molds, the 1st and 2nd are pretty much valueless as loading data resources.
Many of the powders listed in the first are no longer available, and most of the top end loads are really pushing things. The 2nd has great pictures of most of the Lyman mould line up, but for reasons only clear in the minds of the authors, almost all of the rifle data is pistol-powder fueled plinker level. That said, if you load 7.5 grains of Unique under a 429-421 in a 44 Special, or 20 grains of 2400 in a 44 mag, you'll feel right at home in 1957's 1st edition. There are some time honored 38 and 45 ACP loads in there as well.

RickinTN
12-02-2014, 12:08 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I know I want to buy the 3rd edition for him and maybe I'll just get the 1st edition for nostalgic purposes. He does enjoy the reading. As a side note I probably should proceed with caution on the earlier editions. He loads quite a bit, can't stand to have empty brass around the shop, but doesn't shoot any. I think he has the attitude to start at the top charge and go from there....up.
Thanks for all the help,
Rick