PDA

View Full Version : Leading or just dirty

bigalf
12-01-2014, 05:34 AM
Hey guys-
New to the reloading/casting game. I have been shooting 230gr ball PC'd and sized to .452 in front of between 4.2-4.4gr of Win 231. The rounds were tumbling, but it has been pointed out to me that it might be a result of my LFC die. So I will skip the crimp in my load development. I shoot them out of a cheap Taurus because if I am going to make a mistake I don't want it to be on my 1911. So my question is how can I determine if there is leading or just normal dirt. I dont think its leaded, and after I run a few patches through it, it comes out clean.

1johnlb
12-01-2014, 06:24 AM
If you pc'ed correctly, the lead should never come into contact at anytime with the bore.
I size my cartridge with a lfc die and a light crimp for 100% feed reliability. I don't even size my boolits anymore, the lfc does it in the case.

prs
12-01-2014, 03:30 PM
If it came clean with a few patches, it was not leading. The PC "should" prevent leading, but some modern semi-autos have a very abrupt leade from chamber to rifling and that presents a fairly sharp edge that can strip lead or powder coat from the boolit. Use light and bright color of PC and see if the residual on the patches matches the paint. Leading looks like little bits or strips of lead on the patch when it finally loosens and comes out.

prs

bangerjim
12-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Do you have to "mine" the stuff our with bore wire brushes/picks/rods/chemicals/etc? Now....THAT is leading!

Sounds like you just have the normal crud we all get with grease or PC from burning powder....especailly lower loads.

Like said, if it comes out with a patch or 2 it is NOT leading. You will know when you have it!!!!!!

And use light colored PC (HF red works very well) so you can see it if it is on your patch like said above.

banger

nemesisenforcer
12-02-2014, 01:07 AM
Another vote for not leading.

clintsfolly
12-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Bump your load to 5.0 and try again. You may be to low pressure to burn the powder clean. Clint