PDA

View Full Version : Nice 4.7 magnitude quake to end the week!

Fergie
12-01-2014, 02:36 AM
I moved back to AZ from CA for many reasons and this was one. After several in LA, I thought I was done with them.

I was at work at the time it hit, and it was not a fun experience. No initial damage, but the inspection of the house and my mother's is tomorrow.

This area is not built for these, so the structural issue may be a pain to deal with.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eventpage/usb000t1hf#summary

starmac
12-01-2014, 02:45 AM
I wouldn't think 4.7 would do any noticable damage unless it is shallow and you are right on top of it.

Fergie
12-01-2014, 02:51 AM
I wouldn't think 4.7 would do any noticable damage unless it is shallow and you are right on top of it.

Quake was something like 6 miles deep and 13 mile south of us. Our soil here is not the best as far as structural stability goes, and the building codes have zero to do with quakes. We plan for snow loads and forest fires...not quakes.

I do hope everything is fine though...we'll see in the morn.

Catshooter
12-01-2014, 05:16 AM
In 2000 (?) there was a 3.4 quake in Lacy, Wa. About 30 miles south of Tacoma, which is 35 miles south of Seattle.

We felt it pretty good in Tacoma, but shook the snot out of Seattle. My sister was in the King County court house at the time and she had to try three staircases before she found one that she could get down.

Four point seven is plenty, it all depends.

Cat

marlin39a
12-02-2014, 07:21 AM
I'm about 40 miles west of Sedona. Never felt a thing here. Nothings been disturbed.

FISH4BUGS
12-02-2014, 07:54 AM
We had a 4.5 here in NH last year and I have to say, although it didn't do any damage, the rumbling through the house was very weird. I was walking across the living room when it hit and I felt the floor bouce up and down an inch or so.....it definitely got my attention.

osteodoc08
12-02-2014, 08:11 AM
Had one in GA a few years ago. Was working in the hospital at the time. Lots of odd shaking and rumbling in the hospital on a typical day. Was in the call room and felt a vibration. Didn't pay any attention to it. Wife called me asking if I felt the earthquake. Guess I did. Didn't pay much attention. It was very mild, minimal damage in the area, but I can check it off my list. I'd rather stay away from anything much bigger than that.

gpidaho
12-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Folks in Lo-Cal are somewhat accustomed to the shaking. While working construction in San Diego I witnessed a few. The most memorable was one Sunday morning. Girlfriend and I were having a nice lazy morning in bed when it hit. She just looked up with a grin and said "WAS THAT YOU? Some quakes are better than others. GP

Fergie
12-02-2014, 10:04 AM
Had one in GA a few years ago. Was working in the hospital at the time. Lots of odd shaking and rumbling in the hospital on a typical day. Was in the call room and felt a vibration. Didn't pay any attention to it. Wife called me asking if I felt the earthquake. Guess I did. Didn't pay much attention. It was very mild, minimal damage in the area, but I can check it off my list. I'd rather stay away from anything much bigger than that.

I was at the local medical center as well. I figured it was a large cart or a bariatric bed going down the hall....nope! I was all too happy getting out of there and heading home.

ShooterAZ
12-02-2014, 10:14 AM
I slept right through it...wife felt it though. I'm 30 miles north of Sedona. Several years back we had a 5.4, and that one woke us up and shook pretty good. It was loud rumbling too.

Fergie
12-02-2014, 02:39 PM
I slept right through it...wife felt it though. I'm 30 miles north of Sedona. Several years back we had a 5.4, and that one woke us up and shook pretty good. It was loud rumbling too.

I'm in Flagstaff, and some folks out in Doney didn't feel it, while others got a good shake from it.

For the life of me, I can't recall the 5.4 from a few years back, nor can I remember the one in the early 90s.

Some people are even squawking about the Peaks becoming active again, though I don't think that is happening in my life time.

375supermag
12-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Hi...

I was at work in Hunt Valley, Md a few years ago when the quake that damaged the Washington Monument hit.

First earthquake i ever experienced. I did not like it...not one little bit.

If I lived in an area like California that had them on a regular basis, I would re-locate ASAP.

I much prefer stable ground underfoot. Random movement of terra firma is disconcerting.

quilbilly
12-04-2014, 01:35 PM
You think that is bad. Scientists from the U.S., Canada, and Japan in an article today have concluded that the tectonic plates off the Wash/Ore coasts are locked and ready for a really big one due to the complete lack of even tiny earthquakes on the subduction zone recently. The last time there was a subduction quake here 300 years ago, that earthquake may have measured 9 and sent a tsunami 50 feet high onto the Washington Coast. New evidence is coming out that that same earthquake 300 years ago caused landslides in the Seattle area that created inland tsunami's on Puget Sound over 100 feet high (!!!!). Good thing I don't have waterfront but hopefully I won't be out salmon fishing when I yell "surf's up". For the record - scientists have determined the size of subduction zone quakes here by measuring how far beach sand washed up nearby mountains and then carbon dating the debris.

paul h
12-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Quakes don't much bother me. I grew up in Nor-cal and needless to say experienced many quakes and was less than 100 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake in '89 and had a quite a ride.

Then I moved to Alaska. It puts California to shame in terms of the frequency of earthquakes, not to mention the two volcanic eruptions I've witnessed.

But I'd much rather experience frequent mild to moderate earthquakes than have the stresses build up for decades and cut loose cataclysmicly as they did in the '64 Good Friday quake.

Bo Alley
12-04-2014, 09:43 PM
Never felt a quake in the last 25 years in Az. But sure remember the Sylmar shaker in 70-71? The first wave was a roller, not bad but definitely a wake-up. The second wave or secondary was a bouncer! That one was just plain scary!! In the following days, watched a lot of people pack up and head back EAST!

opos
12-04-2014, 11:10 PM
Folks in Lo-Cal are somewhat accustomed to the shaking. While working construction in San Diego I witnessed a few. The most memorable was one Sunday morning. Girlfriend and I were having a nice lazy morning in bed when it hit. She just looked up with a grin and said "WAS THAT YOU? Some quakes are better than others. GP

We just figure it's an "e ticket ride"...was in the sylmar quake...our bed walked across the floor like in a cartoon.... now in San Diego we get the dishes rattled good now and again...keeps the tourist population in check...the tv always shows the beautiful weather to the snow bound folks in the rest of the Country so we need an occasional rattler to keep things in balance..other wise when it's 0 or below in the Midwest and the football game on tv is blue skies, 80 degrees and green grass...the U hauls would be firing up and everyone moving West.

MaryB
12-04-2014, 11:37 PM
Been one quake where I live in MN. Slight vibration is all I felt. Ground here doesn't conduct it well. There is a small fault zone in west central MN where that knob sticks out into SD that is sometimes active. That is a watershed divide that was pushed up. North side of it flows to Canada, western Southwest to the Missouri, Southeast to the Minnesota river. Also the beginning of Buffalo Ridge that angles across SW MN.

troyboy
12-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Had 2- earthquakes when in Santiago earlier this year. One 5.5 mid morning on the build site and one over a 7. That big one woke up and rolled me out of bed. Took a bit to realize what happened. Really common in Chile.