PDA

View Full Version : Loading 45 LC for cowboy black powder

Mach_Cat
11-28-2014, 09:22 PM
If I want to shoot my 45lc 1873 rifle in black powder, how much powder would I use, what up type? And what primer?
I would also be shooting my new to me ROAs so would like one powder for both.

if shooting the 1873 then after every match do I need to strip of the side plates and completely clean the action?

next question ion coming will be shotgun!

thanks ed

mooman76
11-28-2014, 09:40 PM
You might have better luck in the black powder cartridge section.

Mach_Cat
11-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Thanks

slumlord44
11-29-2014, 12:50 AM
As much 3F as you can get in the case. Standard pistol primers. Not sure on cleaning the action. Would not be a bad idea to strip the action.

GoodOlBoy
11-29-2014, 01:05 AM
about 36-38 grains max in a modern 45LC case depending on brand of brass.

GoodOlBoy

Safeshot
11-29-2014, 10:40 AM
You might consider trying the Allaint "MZ" Black powder substitute instead of "real" Black Powder. It is virtually "non-corrosive", leaves little fouling, leaves the firearm easy to "clean up" after using, sounds like black powder when fired, produces smoke similar to black powder when fired. Very few, if any, people observing you firing the firearm will notice any difference from black powder. The only thing different is the lack of the "rotten egg" odor of black powder when fired. It does have some odor, but it is "different". The reviews for this powder that I have read are all positive. I have had good results with it in a "cap and ball revolver" and a muzzle loading rifle. You might want to check the Alliant web site for their information and loading data and or suggestions and/or "Google" for reviews or information. Just a suggestion, Safeshot

Desertbuck
12-01-2014, 09:46 PM
You might consider trying the Allaint "MZ" Black powder substitute instead of "real" Black Powder. It is virtually "non-corrosive", leaves little fouling, leaves the firearm easy to "clean up" after using, sounds like black powder when fired, produces smoke similar to black powder when fired. Very few, if any, people observing you firing the firearm will notice any difference from black powder. The only thing different is the lack of the "rotten egg" odor of black powder when fired. It does have some odor, but it is "different". The reviews for this powder that I have read are all positive. I have had good results with it in a "cap and ball revolver" and a muzzle loading rifle. You might want to check the Alliant web site for their information and loading data and or suggestions and/or "Google" for reviews or information. Just a suggestion, Safeshot

What's the fun in that! lol

bigted
12-02-2014, 08:51 PM
NO EGG SMELL ... :shock:

my gosh man ... what are you trying to start ??? ... :kidding:

really tho ... the 30 grain load in either rifle or handgun will do the great job you are looking for ... as far as target and fun. now hunting ... you will want to smush as much BP under your pill as possible. that is REAL blackpowder ... don't know anything bout the OTHER powders ... LOL

Good Cheer
12-04-2014, 10:02 PM
My bro's experience with shooting black in his rifle (not the shorter carbine) is that in can "run out of lube" in the longer barrel. So, he makes provision for more lube than just a regular pistol bullet with a pellet of lube on top of a piece of wax paper.
I've tried a lube filled hollow base minie in a 45 Colt single shot and found it to work well.

Mach_Cat
12-05-2014, 03:31 PM
How can you tell if it "runs out of lube" ?

bigted
12-07-2014, 12:10 AM
the end of the barrel rifling will have hard fouling. no lube star on the muzzle and accuracy will go to heck.

Dan4570
12-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Hi,
I know you have this up a while, however, I shoot BP in about everything except .9mm---not enough umpf to make the action cycle, If you have not loaded any yet, are still working on, or thinking about it or loaded some and was unhappy with the results, read this, if you have any questions, you can contact me on Facebook @ Vigilante Bullet Lube, it is public page, my phone # and everything is there including a link to my business page. I would be happy to give you any tips I can to help you get it to work, to include an excelant gunsmith that specializes in period and reproduction firearms.

By the way don't stuff all the FFFg in your 45 colt that you can, was never a real load for it, and 40 grns FFF w/ 250 grn bullets will batter the action un, necesarily, expect a 10-15% increase in velocity with FFF too. I have found FFF in 45 Colt to be very inaccurate.

I shoot/load 35 - 38 grns FF, with anywhere from a 230-265 grn 30:1 20:1 lead bullet. the 230 grn w/ 35 g FF is the most accurate in both of my guns. and these loads are no slouch, Civilian loadings of the 19th and early 20th century, (millitary loading by about 1875 due to recoil)
*FF powder is what was originally loaded in the 45 Colt, so try FF, it works and delivers adequate velocities.

Do not exceed 20:1 Lead, hard cast will not seal, and do allow blow by and will lead your bbl.
choose a bullet with an adaquate lube groove, (there are very few .45 Colt molds on the market today that are BP bullets, most are for smokeless stuff.I would suggest either a re-produced original bullet,(lyman makes a mold) or custom bullet, or the big Lube bullets.
use an over powder card wad. buy them, or I cut mine out of Honey-nut Cherios boxes.
Get a drop tube, and a compression die!!!! if you don't this, BP loads will make stupid fouling, and you will be likely ahead to just the bullet by hand after about 10 rounds, you might hit something intentionally.
Mag primers, or standard, I have not noticed a difference w/ this small charge of powder.
crimp the **** out of the bullet,
***Bullets should thumb into seating depth, do not compress the powder with the bullet!!! (see 2 lines up)
Go to Powder Inc, and order pounds of powder, black powder cartridges eat powder when you get to loading, and shooting real black powder. Kik is a great choice for your application, I and my shooting buddies go through about 3 to 5 lbs of Kik each every year, (we don't compeat, but we do a lot of casting, shooting, and we are Living historians at a museum, (1863-1865 time era) and we go through a about a lbs each there with events) Kik does not have the graphite coating on it, but, graphite creats hard fouling, down side, there is a little more dust from the powder. It has proven in our tests to run higher velocities than Goex. and is of slightly smaller granulation.
Use an all natural bullet lube, and lubricants when possible. I will suggest Vigilante Bullet Lube products (I make it so I am a little, OK a LOT bias, so are most of the guys who are using it) however you will need something like my Gun Grease (300 + shots out of cap&ball 60 Army without cleaning it! yeh, it actually works and keeps fouling soft on the cylindar pin) for the carrier black in your M-1873 rifle to keep it running, and for the cylindar pins for your revolvers unless you like cleaning your guns and babying them instead of shooting them, the .45 Colt cartridge was never designed for a rifle, and the strait wall design with the small rim allows for powder fouling to come back into the action, *You will allso need to take your rifle to competent gun smith and ensure the carier block does not fit too tightly, or you will be done in about 8 rounds. (they need a little wiggle room)

PS: It ain't long, its the same length it always was, if anything it is currently the 45 DA do to the larger rim for double action pistols with hand eject, this allows it work in lever guns, don't try to load old balloon head cases either w/ 40 grns, will blow them apart!! They looked new, I had to try them just once,,,,they will hold almost 50 grns though.....I had to check it. OH, and no, I didn't try Elmer Kieth's 45 grn powder charge and 300 grn 30:1 45-70 bullets...I learned from his mistake.

( no need for for 40 grnsFF for cowboy action shooting, I load 5 every year for hunting season, I live in grizz country, and we have no shortage of wolves and mt lions in the area. The 40 grn FFF charge out of a rifle may run high enough velocities to batter the cowboy targets)

"Smokeless powder is nothing more than a novelty item; just a passing fad that undoubtedly will never catch on"