PDA

View Full Version : My first time.

strobro32
11-27-2014, 06:06 PM
I cast my first 50 bullets today!

I used my new Lee 20 lb furnace, Lyman lead thermometer, Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R and my free processed range scrap. I cleaned the new mold, sprayed it with Kroil, wiped it, and smoked it with a Bic lighter. My mold started dropping shinny well defined bullets on the 2rd try.

This is going to be very addictive.

My mold dropped 163 gr. bullets with my refined lead alloy. I may need to add tin or something else. I'm looking forward to using the Hi-Tek coating, sizing, loading and testing.

Thank you to all who post their experiences.

Matt

littlejack
11-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Hey Matt:
Welcome to thew CastBoolits.
I'm in my man cave dropping some .735 round balls and some 410459's.
Wet and chilly here. good day to cast.
regards
Jack

35 shooter
11-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Congrats on your first. Your right it is addictive. I came back to it about 2 years ago and haven't fired another jacketed boolit since. Now go shoot em and cast some more!

wlc
11-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Welcome to the addiction! You won't save ANY money, but you can shoot more for the same money. I got into casting in order to shoot my suppressed stuff for lots less than I could buy factory. And in some cases couldn't get any factory subs cause they aren't made (357MAX). I enjoy casting almost as much as shooting........ALMOST.

ditchtiger
11-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Matt
Any time is a good time to start. Did sinkers with Grampa over 40 years ago.
Casting slugs for over 30 years.
I've a 4 day weekend and will be making some 9's to replenish stock.
3-4 hours to get 1000 or so. Auto's have a big apatite.

captain-03
11-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Congrats!! I see many, many bollits in your future!!

williamwaco
11-27-2014, 08:07 PM

I used my new Lee 20 lb furnace, Lyman lead thermometer, Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-2R and my free processed range scrap. I cleaned the new mold, sprayed it with Kroil, wiped it, and smoked it with a Bic lighter. My mold started dropping shinny well defined bullets on the 2rd try.

My mold dropped 163 gr. bullets with my refined lead alloy. I may need to add tin or something else. I'm looking forward to using the Hi-Tek coating, sizing, loading and testing.

Matt

Way to go!

Now you are one of us.

( Hmmm... I meant that as a compliment but upon seeing it in black and white, I am not so sure.)

:castmine:

larryw
11-27-2014, 09:22 PM
Congrats 32, It does feel sweet don't it?? Just did my first a few day ago.
Am still loving it.. Isn't this place just A fantastic resource? I have learned
an ineradicable amount & haven't even scratched the surface of the Archives.
Congrats & continued success.. I

Yodogsandman
11-27-2014, 10:02 PM

Matt

Congrats on your first casting session!

If your not quite set up yet for the Hi-Tec coating, why not just try tumble lubing some with a squirt of Lee Liquid Alox and getting some loaded up. Just a suggestion to get you out there shooting those boolits faster. Good luck with them!

tazman
11-27-2014, 10:27 PM
Congratulations and welcome to the addiction/curse.
As far as the weight of your boolits. It is very common to have the boolits weigh heavier than the stated weight for the mold. As you know, different alloys have different weight. You are well within the normal drop range for the alloy you are using. I get somewhat heavier weight when using refined range scrap as well.
I am assuming you are using that boolit in the 38 special/ 357 mag. If they are dropping at a diameter of .357 or greater but less than .360, I would tumble lube them with Lee liquid alox or White Label X lox, load, and shoot them to see how they work. You may end up wanting to resize them to just larger than groove size in your barrel. That can be determined later after you find out how they work.

John Boy
11-27-2014, 10:41 PM
I cast my first 50 bullets today! How sweet it is! Congratulations!
For pretty - fully filled out bullets: bring pot alloy & mold up to temperature so that a 5 second pour frots the sprue puddle in 5 seconds. They won't be frosted, the bullet bases will be sharp and no lead smear on the mold. Plus with good rhythm, the Bell Curve weights will be with 1gr

strobro32
11-28-2014, 07:09 AM
I also cast 50- .380 bullets last night. It was a good way to relax after eating bird.

I think I may need to recast the lot. The bullets are very soft, almost pure lead. My fingernail easily leaves a dent. I think I will alloy them with some tin. I'm thinking 20:1. I will check the resale stores today for some pewter.

Is pure lead and Hi-Tek coating fine for 9mm subsonic loads?

Edit:

Dang you cast boolit gurus! I just found what appears to be a much faster, easier, cleaner and cheaper way to powder coat. This changes my strategy.

I must test and report back.

strobro32
11-28-2014, 12:48 PM
This powder coating process took 3 minutes to prep, 20 minutes dry tumbling in a Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler, 25 minutes to bake and 1 minute to drop in a bucket of water. I think they turned out very nice.

Now to load some unsized and sized to .356 and test. :)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7483/15898373132_cb2fab3626_z.jpg

strobro32
11-29-2014, 06:21 PM
I'm going to need a bigger boat.... I mean multi cavity mold. :)

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Congrats and welcome to the affliction! Looks like everything is going well for you, nice job. May try rotating two moulds after you get your rhythm down, that will make a pile of boolits in no time. 4-6 cav moulds was a big step forward for me but looks like you're doing quite well. Good looking boolits, may have to try that PC thing someday.

SSGOldfart
11-29-2014, 09:20 PM
Hmmm ain't no turning back now:popcorn:

SSGOldfart
11-29-2014, 09:24 PM
This powder coating process took 3 minutes to prep, 20 minutes dry tumbling in a Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler, 25 minutes to bake and 1 minute to drop in a bucket of water. I think they turned out very nice.

Now to load some unsized and sized to .356 and test. :)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7483/15898373132_cb2fab3626_z.jpg

Yep New way to PC how much powder did you put in?

strobro32
11-29-2014, 10:33 PM
how much powder did you put in?

I bought a 1 lb. container from Harbor Freight for $6. I've been dry tumble coating the bullets. I've coated about 250-9mm, 150-.380, 50-.45 and 150-300BOs. I say I've used very little of the 1 lb. container.

I've also been dropping the cast bullets in water and the hardness has increased. I also drop them in water after powder coating. They are much harder than when I cooled them on a cotton towel.