PDA

View Full Version : Al Sets new Record at NOE!

rintinglen
11-27-2014, 09:01 AM
122945I
I finally got off my duff and ordered myself an early Birthday present. Monday when I got off work in the morning I went on line and ordered one of his 360-148 4 Cavity hollow base wadcutter moulds. Wednesday it was in my mailbox! Two day turn around! So, I fired up the pot and in between honey-dos I managed to find time to cast up about 5 pounds.
If you are interested in one of these, he has several more on the shelf. Here are few pointers based on my initial run.
First, clean and heat cycle the mould per the included instructions. I didn't, and I had about a 15% reject rate because I didn't get all the the oil out of the pores of the mould. Despite pre-heating, I still had about 6 casts before I began to get good fill out. Despite what some have said, I have never managed to get good boolits from an oil-contaminated mould.

2nd, experiment until you find the best rate of production. There is a fairly narrow range that will let you get consistent, good fill-out and clean sprue cut-off. You have to balance the hot required for best fill-out against the cool required to freeze the sprue and give you nice meplats. I found that I had to slow down to about 5 casts per two minutes to get good boolits to drop out. Too fast and I got gouges in the nose and damaged skirts on the hollow base: too slow and I started to have fill out problems. I am going to lightly swab the pins where they enter the base of the boolit with a small drop of Bullshop Mould Lube on a Q-Tip to see if that helps. Expect to use your impact device of choice to help some of the boolits to come out. I gave the hinge bolt of my Lee handles a stout tap with a cheapy, Orange, 12 ounce, dead-blow hammer as I opened the mould which served to expedite things. Otherwise, one or more boolits would be afraid to leave the nest, delaying things and chilling the mould, thereby increasing the likelihood of poor fill out.

I used a small fan as recommended by Mike Venturino to cool the sprue a little quicker.

Once I got everything sorted out and things were going smoothly, SWMBO reminded me I still had to go to the store, so I had to cut things short, but I still ended up with a bit over 250 boolits of which later inspection left about 220 keepers.

This another great NOE mould. If I had to pick one mould manufacturer for all my needs, it would be the Swede at NOE! Premiere quality at decent prices.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, EVERYONE!

Tatume
11-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Happy Thanksgiving yourself, and enjoy shooting all the nice bullets you're making.

Beagle333
11-27-2014, 09:52 AM
He's breaking all sorts of records. Some of his Group Buys are going from sign-up phase to my mailbox as soon as 5-6 weeks! Unreal! :D

cbrick
11-27-2014, 11:00 AM
I ordered a mold from Al on Tuesday morning, according to tracking info it was at the Provo PO Tuesday afternoon shipped priority mail. Just checked on it and according to tracking info it's still at the Provo PO a day and a half later. :veryconfu

Rick

runfiverun
11-27-2014, 11:12 AM
It is Provo it's gone it just takes 20 years for their paper work to catch up

historicfirearms
11-27-2014, 11:18 AM
I just thought about ordering a NOE mold and it was in my mailbox that day. He is fast!

Ben
11-27-2014, 11:19 AM
NOE will be the business I order all my future new molds from.

Ben

dragon813gt
11-27-2014, 11:24 AM
I ordered a mold from Al on Tuesday morning, according to tracking info it was at the Provo PO Tuesday afternoon shipped priority mail. Just checked on it and according to tracking info it's still at the Provo PO a day and a half later. :veryconfu

Rick

I had the same issue. It's not Al's fault. The last order I placed seemed to take a slow tour across the US. They arrived, are heat cycled, lubed and ready to run.

cbrick
11-27-2014, 11:30 AM
I had the same issue. It's not Al's fault. The last order I placed seemed to take a slow tour across the US. They arrived, are heat cycled, lubed and ready to run.

Of course it's not Al's fault, he had it at the PO within hours of placing the order. Nothing in my post suggested otherwise.

Uncle's civil servants on the other hand . . . :veryconfu Probably as 5R5 says, civil servants dealing with paper work. But don't worry they can handle our health care just fine. :shock:

Rick

LenH
11-27-2014, 11:56 AM
You might want to smoke the pins a bit, I have a fairly new 454-424 HP mold and I have had problems with it until I talked to Al and he suggested smoking.
I've been casting for nearly 40 years and have never smoked a mold until now. Beagle333 suggested I polish the pins with some fine sand paper, I was able to find
some 1500 grit sand paper and got the pins smooth and shiny applied smoke per Al. The bullets fall off the pins with regularity.

This is the first aluminum mold I dealt with and it has been a learning curve, I use a homemade lead hammer molded from a split 3/4" copper tee (found the instructions
on this site). It was suggested to me when I bought an 8 cavity H & G from a guy here. A light tap with that and the bullets will come out. I've also found that the bullets
need to cool a bit and the fall out easier. I have found that I have to work at a slower rate with this mold than Iron molds.

dragon813gt
11-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Of course it's not Al's fault, he had it at the PO within hours of placing the order. Nothing in my post suggested otherwise.

Uncle's civil servants on the other hand . . . :veryconfu Probably as 5R5 says, civil servants dealing with paper work. But don't worry they can handle our health care just fine. :shock:

Rick

I know it's not his fault and didn't mean to insinuate that you thought it was. But the USPS......well I have a pretty low opinion of them when it comes to parcel delivery. I was simply saying I had the same issue as you. It took close to week for me to receive the molds. The good news is that they arrived and I plan to use them tomorrow :)

pjames32
11-27-2014, 01:12 PM
Good experience with NOE here!

cbrick
11-28-2014, 11:16 AM
Too bad the PO doesn't operate like Al, my mold was at the Provo PO Tuesday afternoon (ordered Tues morning). It's now Friday morning and my mold according to tracking info is at . . . the Provo PO.

Rick

hickfu
11-28-2014, 01:12 PM
I love my NOE molds... I got the 360 200 for my 35 Rem and it does best when heated on a hot plate while the lead melts in my pot, when its up to 700 the mold is ready as well and I cast, count to 15 real quick, drop the boolits, hold the open mold to my fan for 5 seconds and repeat.... this keeps the mold hot enough but no overly hot and it drops good boolits from the first cast.

I will buy more molds from NOE in the future when I have the cash..

pretzelxx
11-28-2014, 01:43 PM
I still haven't gotten the hang of casting "well" so my 9mm boolits sometimes come out ugly, but I get lucky once in a while and have a few good pours and the hollow points come out gorgeous! Wonderful mold I just wish I was a lot better at casting!

I also like the look of those hollow base!

MT Gianni
11-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Some of the stuff I track doesn't get updated until it is shown as delivered.

btroj
11-29-2014, 12:21 PM
Get that mould yet Rick?

maybe you should send your lead to Provo so it can get acquainted with the mould sooner......

1Shirt
11-29-2014, 01:18 PM
Like Ben, all my molds from now on will come from Al and NOE. Have 5 and they are as close as bullet molds can be to works of art!
1Shirt!

cbrick
11-29-2014, 02:23 PM
Get that mould yet Rick?

maybe you should send your lead to Provo so it can get acquainted with the mould sooner......

I am happy to report that according to the tracking info on Saturday there is an update, a tracking label has been generated and my mold has made all the way to the Provo Post Office. Perhaps by Monday it will get all the way to the loading dock.

In all probability it's as Mt Gianni said, tracking isn't keeping up and I'll bet the mold will be here on Monday. Perhaps Al sent two molds, one for me and one for the Provo PO to fondle. :mrgreen:

Rick

btroj
11-29-2014, 02:29 PM
USPS tracking info is exactly like described. I usually have the stuff in my hands while the trackng info shows no movement.

Blammer
11-30-2014, 09:41 PM
NOE's so fast he sent me a mould I didn't know I needed yet until it arrived! :D

cbrick
12-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Al is much better than the PO which is much better than the tracking. My mold arrived today. :mrgreen: I wonder when the tracking will figure it out? :veryconfu

Rick

Green Frog
12-02-2014, 09:33 AM
I only own a few custom bullet moulds (out of the dozens of molds I own) but I found Al's service and quality and promptness to be everything I could ask for. The only time I have gotten a custom mould any more quickly was to buy it used from some previous buyer, and when I got my NOE mould, it cleaned up from its shipping preservative easily and started dropping jewelry-like bullets almost from the first fill.

The actual bullet I got was about 10 grains heavier than I expected, but it turns out that was really what I needed all along, not what I thought I wanted. NOE has my unqualified support!

Froggie

kungfustyle
12-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Gotta Love NOE. Just order two more molds yesterday. Get on the mailing list, they do sales......

John Allen
12-02-2014, 11:06 AM
NOE is the only mold I buy now adays new. This is do to great product, great customer service and quick shipping.