PDA

View Full Version : The benefit of buying local and a good relationship with the LGS.

Fergie
11-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Got a call from my LGS owner today. Told me he had just got 4 eight pound kegs of W231 in and was not putting on the shelves, just calling folks that he knows well.

Needless to say I was down there quickly and came home with eight pounds of 231!

I've been in to that shop for 25 years or so, and two different owners. Way too many guns bought there and too many lies told as well.

In the day and age of cheaper internet sales, it is always good to know the local shops and be on a first name basis with them.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving and don't forget to support your local small business owners!

rush1886
11-26-2014, 08:57 PM
"way too many guns"--?????????????????

lawdog941
11-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Better than any membership card can buy! Happy Thanksgiving!

Wolfer
11-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Is that even a real number?

2wheelDuke
11-26-2014, 09:54 PM
I wish there was a shop locally that carried stuff like that I could have such a relationship with.

Bad Water Bill
11-26-2014, 10:31 PM
When Gallery of Guns sends me an offer my LOCAL (within 100 miles) gun shop is always $100.00 to $140.00 more than any one else listed and no he doesn't carry any reloading supplies.:groner:

dragon813gt
11-26-2014, 11:03 PM
I would have left w/ all four kegs of powder......and a firearm to use it all in :)

smoked turkey
11-27-2014, 12:16 AM
Good for you that your relationship at your LGS is so personal. I always thought mine was also but on the last purchase I had immediate issues with the laser on a used S&W Bodyguard 380. When I called them to see what my options were I was basically told to call S&W and see what they would do for me because the lasers on those pistols were problems and they didn't want any involvement beyond the sale. I did call Smith and they took care of it with no problem and no cost to me. I just wish the customer service at the LGS would have been better.

MaryB
11-27-2014, 12:41 AM
My LGS will even fix or ship any High Points that fail. He believes in customer service plus if you are a loyal customer he gives you better prices and saves 22LR for you. I walked in 2 weeks ago and some dude I had never seen was badgering him about the case of 22lr behind the counter marked sold. He told him it was sold so quit bugging him. Then proceeded to hand me a brick as a xmas gift! The unknown dude slammed the door on the way out swearing at both of us. He was waiting outside when I came out and tried to buy the 22lr from me. Told him to spend $2k in the last 2 years with my LGS and you might get a few deals. 333 round brick, I don't really need it right now but what the hey, next spring I might.

bob208
11-27-2014, 11:26 AM
I am still stuck on the too many guns. that is like a girl too pretty ,whiskey too old or a horse too fast.

williamwaco
11-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Obviously not possible. Must have been a typo.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-27-2014, 11:39 AM
"Little Crow Shotting Sports", my LGS was owned by two partners, a few years ago one passed away, his name was John. The other partner Jim now runs the shop with his Daughter...an equal partner.

ANYWAY, the OP reminded me of one of the many guns purchases I've made there in the last 20+ years. I don't remember the what Gun it was, But as I was looking at it, John walks over and tells me, he can let if go for X dollars, I told him I'll think about. A week later, I go back to buy that gun, John wasn't there. So I tell Jim that I'll take that gun and John said he'd sell it for X. Jim tells me (with a smile), you better start calling him Grandpa, if he's gonna give you prices like that...

===============
OK, as I reread this, it doesn't sound all that warm and fuzzy...but honest to God, that is what I felt...Warm and Fuzzy...
:redneck:

snowwolfe
11-27-2014, 12:01 PM
We miss that type of relationship. When living in Eagle River my go to store was Boondocks. All I needed to do was to walk in and tell them what gun I wanted and they would order it, no questions asked. We didn't even dicker about price. Usually a call would come in two weeks or less and the price was more than fair. Never had to shop around as their customer service was outstanding.
They had a decent rack of used rifles and when a interesting left handed version came in they would give me a call before placing it on the rack. Same with reloading components.

Artful
11-27-2014, 04:12 PM
I also miss that relationship - used to live in rural Oregon - Tommy and Dale and Al all now passed on to the great shooting range in the sky. Big city gun shops not so much my cup of tea.

bubba.50
11-28-2014, 12:08 AM
at times in the past I have run out of room to put them but, I've never felt I had "too many guns".

but I too miss the old gun shop experience. last one we had locally even had an "official liars bench" on one side of the room.

MaryB
11-28-2014, 12:24 AM
Half dozen stools sitting around and guys bring in coffee or coke. I work on my LGS guys computer for him once in awhile free of charge too. He keeps me in good deals I can lose an hour or two of labor

TXGunNut
11-28-2014, 01:16 AM
I miss the LGS atmosphere but for the most part it's a thing of the past around here. If you still have one you probably don't appreciate what you have, you will when it's gone so support it while you can. I've helped support a few LGS's over the years, all were a bit hard to get to know but it was worth the effort. If I had to pay a little extra to support a local business it didn't matter much to me but I'm apparently in the minority. Last LGS closed up when Bass Pro and Cabelas opened up a few towns away. I didn't agree with his thinking but I was in no position to persuade them or buy them out. It's amazing a town the size of this one without a decent gun shop, guess that's why I spend very little time there anymore. Too liberal for me these days, I guess.
I must admit I have cultivated a relationship with the folks at my local Gun Library. Some of the guys there recognize me when I walk in and I generally get a decent deal, now and then quite a good deal. It's not the same as the old days but not much else is either. Fact is they have a lot of nice guns come thru and if you're patient and know what you're looking for it will show up on the used gun rack or even in the Library.

Fergie
11-28-2014, 11:48 PM
Yes, too many guns...there I said it again! When space is a consideration, there is such a thing.

Thankfully, for a town our size, we have several really great stores, all brining a different flavor to the scene. This one though, they just feel like family BSing all the time and watching out for one another. Good group of folks to know regardless.

TXGunNut
11-29-2014, 12:07 PM
No such thing as too many guns. Gun safe may be too small but an additional safe easily resolves that little issue. ;-)

Fergie
11-29-2014, 07:11 PM
No such thing as too many guns. Gun safe may be too small but an additional safe easily resolves that little issue. ;-)

Very true, but with two additional safes already, I'm not pushing my luck with the Mrs....Irish red head with a temper to boot. :D

Another benefit of a smaller town...a local boolit caster is just starting up in the area and I spoke to him the other day about making some RNFP 100gr for my new Solo Siete. The guy said "give me a few weeks to get the mould ordered." He just swung by place with some recently cast boolits for me to try out, load and report back to see if he needs to tweek them at all. Talk about service!

opos
11-29-2014, 08:41 PM
There are a few...very few..of the LGS type of operation in our area....there are several "tactical" shops but it is just what the name implies...if it's not black, got rails and is "tacticool" it doesn't much fit the environment. Strange but one of the best "old style" gun shops around is a pawn shop...guys there are all shooters...they deal in all kinds of firearms and they "talk the talk"...I have bought a few guns from them and never been disappointed in either the gun or the deal..We got lots of "big box" stores and I won't even go in...the folks that work there are mostly clerks that sell sleeping bags one day, fishing tackle the next and then work the gun counter now and then...Sure miss the old time environment...I'm in my late 70's and worked in a gun store in a rural area back in the 50's...That had all the nice things to recall...

Iowa Fox
11-30-2014, 02:03 AM
Square Shooters when they were in the old building on State St in Bettendorf was as good as it got around here. I really enjoyed hanging around that place.