PDA

View Full Version : Question on True-line/Lyman Tong Tool Dies

Gandolf
02-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi All,

A friend has a set of Lyman "True-line" dies. They say "True-line" on the box.

It seems to me that these dies also fit the Lyman Tong tool. Is this correct.

I was thinking of buying them, and getting a tong tool. They are 6.6X55 Swede dies, and I have had trouble getting my standard dies to seat cast bullets (maybe slightly oversize.)

Question: Do the "true-line" dies fit a tong tool. Second is there a good chance that these dies can seat the oversized cast bullets in the 6.5 Swede?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

beagle
02-12-2008, 08:24 PM
The Tru-Line Jr dies will fit the tong tool.

The difference in the TLJ dies is they use a sizer-decapper-expander instead of seperate steps in the tong tool.

The tong tool does not provide enough leverage to use this function and the hook will usually pull out the rim and ruin the case.

Now,it's possible to remove the decapping stem and adjust the decapping stem in order to do everything in seperate steps with the tong tool. Neck size, decap and then expand. The expander may not be big enough for cast bullets but will expand sufficiently for jacketed. Then, you'll need a primer seater of some kind.

As far as seating. it should seat but that will have to be checked with a bullet to see what dimensions the dies are cut to.

It may be a workable solution but you'll have to try it and see./beagle

ktw
02-12-2008, 10:25 PM
I have had trouble getting my standard dies to seat cast bullets (maybe slightly oversize.)

I would be easier and cheaper to solve this problem with an appropriately sized lyman M die (7/8x14). The M die will expand the neck to a more suitable size for cast bullets.

-ktw

beagle
02-12-2008, 10:37 PM
Better to go ahead and buy a cheap press and regular dies with the appropriate M die.

Just too much "rigging" to get quality loaded ammo./beagle

Gandolf
02-13-2008, 01:29 AM
HI All,

I did not communicate the seating problem well.

The problem is that the bullet will not fit up into the seating die. The bullet is just enough bigger in diameter than a standard J-bullet that it will not fit up into the top of the die.

The problem is not expanding the neck. I have "M" dies.

I was hoping that the the ID of the upper part of the seating die might be a bit bigger than that of my standard dies. (I have two sets of standard 6.5X55 dies. One set is a neck sizer set.)

The other thought I had was a Lee classic loader, and hone out of the seater portion of the die by using the same technique described in some of the articles to hone out the diameter of a luber sizer die.

Thanks and regards,

Gandolf

yarro
02-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Are you using a round nose bullet? If so is the seater stem for a round nosed bullet? If that is the case then get a seater stem for a round nosed bullet as that could be your issue. If that is not the case then I would go for honing out a Lee die.

-Yarro

beagle
02-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Try a sized bullet through the tong tool seating die. These are normally pretty generous as far as dimensions go. It may work. If not, start honing or get somebody with a Sunnen grinder to take it out to about .002" bigget than your sized bullet./beagle