PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion, please

edler7
11-25-2014, 04:52 PM
I have a Mihec 434-640 GC mold that I use to cast for my Marlin 1894 lever action rifle. When the round is assembled, the crimp groove is below the case mouth by a good bit. I load these rounds to 1.605 OAL (.005 short of max OAL) to ensure reliable feeding. I got out the brass trimmer today and trimmed a case down to what it would take to get the OAL I want and still have the crimp groove at the case mouth. Turned out I had to trim my brass .055 to get it, from a standard trim to length of 1.275 down to 1.220 inches.

Would you trim your brass down, or ignore the crimp groove ? This is the only .44 mag I own, so no interchange issues with other pistols or rifles at this time. Also, it is the only boolit I shoot in this rifle. I can see customizing my ammo for this boolit, but I can also see leaving the brass at SAMI spec in case I win the lotto and start using jacketed stuff. Up to now, I have been ignoring the crimp groove with no problems.

I'd appreciate others points of view.

Mike

Tatume
11-25-2014, 05:33 PM
My opinions are: 1) trim and use the crimp groove, and 2) consider getting another mold that has the correct nose length.

The crimp groove serves a different purpose in a tubular magazine than it does in a revolver.

Crimping revolver ammo over the ogive will serve to prevent bullets from migrating out.

In the tubular magazine crimping in the groove prevents bullets from being pushed deeper into the cases under the tension of the magazine spring and recoil impulses. This can lead to higher than acceptable pressures. You need to use crimp grooves in tubular magazine guns.

Take care, Tom

MtGun44
11-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Have you verified that the "maximum length" is actually the literal maximum
length that will chamber fully and will function through the magazine and
feeding system? If not, you might find that crimping in the crimp groove
with normal brass will be fine.

Make up a dummy round and try it if you have not already.

Bill

John Allen
11-26-2014, 12:32 AM
If the round will not chamber in full length then I would cut the brass back and crimp. Have you tired loading a dummy round and seeing if it will function and chamber?

John Allen
11-26-2014, 12:33 AM

Bill

bill, you type faster than me. I said the same thing just took longer typing!! :killingpc

DrCaveman
11-26-2014, 01:36 AM
My opinion: max SAAMI oal is usually not the actual max oal for a cartridge in a particular gun

Boolit nose shapes affect the oal a bunch, and they also affect feeding in repeaters. I gave up a while ago on using book stated loaded round length as a rule. Sort of a guideline, and a loose one at that.

Im with the posters above, try it in the crimp groove and see how it works. Your gun will tell you more than the manual

osteodoc08
11-26-2014, 10:34 AM
As noted, crimp in groove for a dummy round.

if you decide to trim brass, make sure you mark them and don't forget you're reducing case capacity so work up loads carefully.

Char-Gar
11-26-2014, 12:08 PM
For rounds to be used in a tubular magazine, I would sure want a good crimp in the proper groove.

Marlin leverguns in 44 Mag are a bit picky about the overall length of the rounds they will feed with ease. You can cure this by filing/milling the cartridge lifter end back about .030. There are good instructions with pics on how to do this on the net. Just google up "Marlin Jam" and something should pop up.

If you don't want to modify your rifle, you can always trim the cases back.

mdi
11-26-2014, 12:52 PM

Bill
Exactly what I was thinking...

kevmc
11-26-2014, 12:54 PM
I'd just use .44 spl brass......

44man
11-26-2014, 06:22 PM
I'd just use .44 spl brass......
Yep. But I don't know the boolit weight. The marlin has a bad twist rate and will not shoot a heavy boolit. Can't shoot hardly any boolit to be truthful. Maybe a RB.

kevmc
11-26-2014, 08:00 PM
Yep. But I don't know the boolit weight. The marlin has a bad twist rate and will not shoot a heavy boolit. Can't shoot hardly any boolit to be truthful. Maybe a RB.

My 434640 HP's run about 260 grs.....I don't know the twist or the gun.....

seaboltm
11-26-2014, 08:17 PM
Just crimp it where ever. If you crimp enough it will push into the lead. I used a Lee factory crimp on some 45 acp rounds that I pulled. The copper jackets were indented where the crimper actually pushed the brass into the copper.

edler7
11-26-2014, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. I haven't tried any rounds with a full length case and crimping in the crimp groove, due to them being longer than max OAL...I'll make a few dummy's and see what happens. My primary concern would be feeding and chambering. Just have to see what happens there.

I had thought about the 44 special route, but would rather stay with the magnum since that is what brass I have. I do have a few 44 special, I guess I should load them up and see what they do with that booit- just never did it.

My boolits cast at 270 grains with 50/50 ww/lead. They will hold a 2-3 inch group @ 100 yards which isn't all that good, but I didn't consider it too shabby for that heavy of a boolit, a long twist rate and old eyes.

You guys have given me several things to think over, thanks again for your opinions.

Mike

georgerkahn
11-29-2014, 12:14 PM
I was going to reply until I read Tatume 's post -- Tom expressed pretty much everything exactly as I would have responded (albeit probably better worded). I will add, though, that in both .30WCF and .32 Win Specials, I have used Lee Factory Crimp dies with success -- but, note I am shooting fairly light cast boolit loads in these. However, the Lee F C die does offer an option to try...
BEST!
georgerkahn

BEST!
georgerkahn