PDA

View Full Version : Credit card fraud is you acting on the world stage (Target clown circus)

ohland
11-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Got an email from my credit card issuer. Turns out someone had attempted to use my CC on some stuff in the UK. It was declined. Other than some butt-pain from waiting for the replacement to arrive, all is good.

Just this past weekend, I received two emails, purportedly from Target, claiming my Target Account email was changed. One account was changed from jennystore (at) bellsouth.net, the other account was changed from abc (at) phimhay.co, both of which sound real honest to me...

I tried finding Target's fraud or security contact info, but other than contacting the feds, there was nothing on Target's web site. One customer service rep told me to call a number (800-591-3869), and when I did, all four options had NOTHING to do with security, or even issues with an account. The second email, where I reported the second bogus notification, was handled even worse:

--------------//
We take the responsibility of protecting your personal and credit card information very seriously, and we want you to be confident that your information is safe when you shop on Target.com.

To accomplish this, our team of experienced information security professionals use the best in online security solutions. Our approach emphasizes a combination of different technologies, including continuous security testing and monitoring of Target.com as well as encrypted TLS/SSL secured transactions.

If you still have concerns you can always place your order over the phone. Just give us a call at (800) 591-3869.

Thanks for getting in touch. I hope you'll visit Target.com again soon.
----------------//

With this kind of clueless performance in handling potential fraud, I wouldn't recommend buying on-line from Target. They should add an option on their contact form for "Fraud" or "Security" so the phone staff does not have to THINK and the report is sent directly to whatever fraud department that they have.

A major retailer telling folks to go bother the feds makes me wonder. After Target got zapped with a significant breach, one would think fraud detection would be a risk mitigation measure they would take.... But I suppose its only money...

MrWolf
11-25-2014, 09:58 AM
I had a similiar issue with Walmart.com. They had me picking up ipod in Ohio within the half hour and I live in NJ. Told them to have a police officer waiting for the bozo to pick it up. Sorry, they don't do that. The hacking of there site caused me major headaches, luckily I had used my Discover Card - they are great to deal with.

Garyshome
11-25-2014, 10:02 AM
Credit Card companies protecting your information....Really...NOT IN A MILLION YEARS. [Bigger lie then any of obamas...well almost].
Had my identity stolen 20 or so years ago, still not squared away!

Alexn20
11-25-2014, 11:30 AM
I had the same scam happen to me at HomeDepot. Change all your passwords. Get new credit cards with new account numbers. Home Depot offered to pay for a credit monitoring service for 1 year. I would see if you could get that from Target. Having your identity stolen is not fun. I was lucky and got all my accounts changed and have seen no fraudulent usage.

runfiverun
11-25-2014, 11:58 AM
I never have had Anyone try and use my cash in another city.
credit cards pshAAw..

bangerjim
11-25-2014, 12:04 PM
Credit Card companies protecting your information....Really...NOT IN A MILLION YEARS. [Bigger lie then any of obamas...well almost].
Had my identity stolen 20 or so years ago, still not squared away!

CC companies (at least Discover) stand behind their customers 100% on fraud charges. That is a pretty good protection to have! Would have cost me over $13K last year without them. They send out new cards without me asking as a preventive function. And I get a text and email on my smart phone and computer the SECOND I process a charge above the limit I have set on the cards.

But if you want ID protection, look into LifeLock. The entire company has it and no one has lost their ID info due to fake accounts being opened and new cc's being established for years. They do NOT monitor your cc activity (that is up to you and your cc company) but look for fraud new accounts (bank and cc) being opened and other personal info being hacked.

Bottom line, monitor ALL your banking and cc accounts on-line (thru your own secure server, not public WI-FI!) every week.

YOU are the best protection you have against fraud.

banger

beezapilot
11-25-2014, 12:23 PM
I've had my credit sealed. It is a bit of a PIA- but no-one can access it, that means no accounts can be opened, no more pre-approved junk, no "ghost" credit cards or accounts... and it is free to do.

ohland
11-25-2014, 03:11 PM
I've had my credit sealed.

Surgically? How about some details?

It would be nice if the Feds were prosecuting identity theft, but they are busy running guns to Mexico. A man has to do what a man has to do...

Expat74
11-25-2014, 03:57 PM
Had the same, cc company contacting me for 3 transactions out of the norm, one of which western union. They must be profiling us pretty good to pick such things up. Well I had a very close look at my computer and the problem was right there. Nasty *** virus placing a virtually invisible directory with a bunch of scripts that only wait for you to type your cc number online and then transmit them their masters. I'm an IT guy and had a major issue killing it. I ended up formatting my disk.

11-25-2014, 05:32 PM
Had the same, cc company contacting me for 3 transactions out of the norm.

Got done twice about 12months ago on our debit account, first time was on my wifes card, emptied the account, all purchases in the UK. Bank contacted us but not before they had emptied the account, we were refunded fully but it took a few weeks. We ended up a little in front due to differences in the exchange rate to $Aus between the purchases and refund.
Again about 6 weeks later on my card linked to the same account, bank called on a Sunday afternoon to advise they had put a hold on the account due to suspicious activity. Didn't take as long to get the funds back the second time but still a pain.

It can not be that hard to track these people, all the purchases were online so there has to be a delivery address that someone turns up to eventually to collect from.

Don't know about elsewhere but as a retailer here in Aus we are not guaranteed the funds unless we were physically presented with the card and have run it through the machine and a pin used. If we take card details via phone, online etc and the transaction is disputed we have to wear the cost.

waksupi
11-25-2014, 07:21 PM
I use a small local bank, and they will not process anything from out of the area, without calling me first. They also ask that you notify them if going on any trips, with a general itinerary, so they can watch for fraudulent use.

beezapilot
11-25-2014, 07:50 PM
Surgically? How about some details?

It would be nice if the Feds were prosecuting identity theft, but they are busy running guns to Mexico. A man has to do what a man has to do...

You have to contact all 3 agencies, but they put a block on your credit and that means that NO ONE CAN ACCESS IT for a score, report, pre-approved etc... etc... That is only a great thing if you are not applying for a job, happy with your insurance company, are not going to apply for new accounts, buy a car on time and all that.

The benefit is that NO ONE can open a new account.

The "unlock" is a process as well, you have to notify in writing and all that. So if you're pretty settled, it keeps the bad guys out of your stuff. It DOES NOT prevent comprimsed card numbers, but in the case of identity theft they can not open new accounts.

Outpost75
11-25-2014, 09:14 PM
Lifelock Ultimate is worth every penny. Has worked for me and avoided several attempted hits.