PDA

View Full Version : powder coated pellets

Little Doc
11-25-2014, 12:35 AM
reading the threads on powder coating bullets. it talked about the bullets being slick and clean shooting. had a thought, would this increase the velocity of a pellet rifle. Just wondering if anyone has tried this? Is it a practical something to do? Any comments or thoughts.

GARD72977
11-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Not sure but Im going to try it. Biggest problem I see the skirt sticking to what ever they are sitting one and being uneven. May have to coat skirt up

rsterne
11-25-2014, 01:26 AM
The skirt is anywhere from 0.005"-0.010" over boresize, so it may rub off the powder coating.... just a thought....

Bob

IraqVet1982
11-25-2014, 07:15 AM
reading the threads on powder coating bullets. it talked about the bullets being slick and clean shooting. had a thought, would this increase the velocity of a pellet rifle. Just wondering if anyone has tried this? Is it a practical something to do? Any comments or thoughts.
No. It's going to increase pellet weight. The only way to increase velocity is more air or lighter pellet.

GARD72977
11-25-2014, 08:38 AM
It will not add enough weight to matter.

nagantguy
11-25-2014, 09:08 AM
Been using a few drops of a paste type car polish. Heat it up till its about like movie theater popcorn butter and put it in the tin the pellets come in an shake vigorously. It seems.to have improved accuracy some small amount but the biggest gain is that it seems to have greatly cut back on the number of flyers. I'd vet 3-5 good shots then a random hi or low shot, the lube seemed to help with this.

Forrest r
11-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Been using this wax for a decade now, excellent product!!!

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/waxlube.jpg (http://s162.photobucket.com/user/forrestr-photo/media/waxlube.jpg.html)

It's made for chains on racing bikes. I use an old tin (500 pellet tin) & fill it half full (250 pellets) of pellets that have been washed in alcohol and dried. Then simply put 9 or 10 drops of the chain wax on the pellets and close the lid and gently swirl them to coat the pellets. After 20 to 30 seconds of swirling the lid comes off & the wax coated pellets are left to dry (less than 1 hour).

The wax coating improves accuracy & cuts down on lead vapors from the pellets being shot under pressure.

backroad
11-25-2014, 07:50 PM
I like to use lanolin alcohol mix case lube.

ebner glocken
11-26-2014, 01:12 PM
I like to use lanolin alcohol mix case lube.

+1 on this one. I've played with PC on different things and no real luck with pellets in air guns. PC is best left with powder burners or perhaps some of the really large bore air guns and this is only a guess as I have not played with them at all. I have used the case lube mix of lanolin/alcohol (in .177 cal) with decent results but for what I do was not enough of a difference to mess with further for what I use an air rifle for. The dry chain lube looks like a good idea also. I'll have to play with that one some time.

Ebner

Lucky Joe
12-30-2014, 05:57 PM
What about Recluse's 45-45-10 lube? Would like to see some powder coated pellets though.

HollowPoint
12-30-2014, 08:21 PM
When I first got into Powder Coating I went a little Powder Coat crazy and did some of my 14 grain .22 caliber pellets. My thinking was similar to the OP's line of reason.

I used Harbor Freight red. The coating of powder tended to make my point of impact drop about three inches lower than plain factory pellets of the same type. Also, beyond 15 yards my groups were a little more than twice that of the plain pellets.

I figured that the single layer of Powder Coat was creating more drag in the barrel as the pellet moved forward toward the muzzle. And, the fact that it's nearly impossible to apply an even coat on the surface of my pellets meant that if the pellets were even slightly non-concentric to begin with, the uneven Powder Coat just exacerbated the problem. Velocity went from an average of 870 fps to an average of 845-850 fps. The actual pellet weight went from 14-point-something to 14-point-something-plus; not enough to make any difference.

I posted a picture of them in this section of this forum. I was shooting them out of a break-barrel Umarex Octane. This doesn't mean it won't work out of someone else's air rifle. It just didn't work well out of my air gun. My Octane is generally a very accurate air gun with both the 14 and the 18 grain pellets.

I've just about got my new Pellet Swaging die completed so I may try Powder Coating again on this new pellet design I'm working on. It's not really a new design. It's just a scaled down version of existing bullet design meant for low velocity projectiles.

HollowPoint

Lucky Joe
12-30-2014, 10:22 PM
That 98 gr. .357 looks interesting. When was that mould available? How well did it perform?

MT Chambers
12-30-2014, 10:31 PM
When I tried dry moly on pellets, they were very slick and slippery however velocity did not increase and accuracy decreased. I am playing with jacketed pellets and will try them with various coatings in time.

HollowPoint
12-31-2014, 11:55 AM
That 98 gr. .357 looks interesting. When was that mould available? How well did it perform?

This is about a twenty dollar mold. I bought it from Midway. To the best of my knowledge, it's still in the Lee line up.

On my particular mold I hollow pointed one of the cavities and left the other a round-nose. Both configurations of this pullet shoot rather well out of my Khar CM9 and my Keltec P38T.

By adding the hollow point cavity to this bullet, it lowers the overall weight by a couple of grains. The deeper the hollow point cavity, the lower the weight can be made. There is a point of diminishing returns though.

HollowPoint

Texantothecore
02-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Has anyone tried Johnson's paste wax on their pellets?