PDA

View Full Version : Felix lube questions

selmerfan
02-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Okay, a couple questions about felix lube. I've combed most of the threads and after a few posts they slide off into conversational tangents. So...I assume Felix lube can be used in a standard lubrisizer, say a Lyman 4500 for example. I have read that depending on the ratios, it can be a hard or a soft lube. What would the norm be for 180-215gr. GC boolits from a .357 Maximum moving at around 2000 fps? I've read that soft lube is more accurate, but hard lube is easier to work with for storing and loading purposes. I've loaded rounds with both and had success with both methods from boolits cast by other folks, but now I'm going to pour my own. Can I use paraffin instead of beeswax? I think I have a source for beeswax, but I need to try tapping it before I know for sure. Thanks for the help!
Selmerfan

robertbank
02-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hi

First welcome to the forum! Nice place to sit,

I use Felix lube for everything I shoot. (Rifle and handgun). What I do is after I make up a batch I pour it into a pyrex measuring cup ( Large size, I'm no cook but I guess a 2 cupper). When I want to fill my lurbicator I put the pyrex container in my microwave and heat it for 8 minnuts at 70% until it is liquid. I then just fill the lubricator, let the lube cool and solidify and I am away to the races. I cover the container with syran rap to keep the dust out. Much easier IMHO then trying to make tubes for the lubricator.

Best person to ask on the paraffin is Felix via PM. I doubt it but he will know.
Hope this helps.

Take Care

Bob

selmerfan
02-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Boy, the wife would think that's a great idea! Or, she might kick my reloading bench out of the house. :) Thanks for the suggestion, it's just what I wanted to know!
Selmer

felix
02-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Selmerfan. paraffin won't combine well with other ingredients, so you cannot use it as a base. However, you can add some paraffin later to augment for a harder, and lower melting mix for the larger calibers, say larger than 30. In general, don't use paraffin at all. If you don't like the stickies, reduce the content of the lanolin, and tumble the boolits in corn starch, after the booits are well frozen via the freezer (outside nowadays). ... felix

selmerfan
02-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Straight from the keyboard of the master! :killingpc Thanks Felix, I can't wait to mix up my first batch. :)

calsite
02-12-2008, 10:03 PM
go to the hardware store and check out their toilet base seals, should say on the box, some of those are 100% beeswax and they are pretty cheap........

454PB
02-12-2008, 10:50 PM
I don't think toilet base seals have contained beeswax for many years.

Randyrat was selling beeswax recently, you might PM him.

mroliver77
02-13-2008, 12:30 AM
I dont know what TB wax is made of but it is some sticky stuff! I have used it stiffend up with some beeswax and it worked fine for peestol loads.
Felix woke a brain cell. I found two pill bottles in a drawer in work bench.(I have lots of empty pill bottles and they are great for storing small stuff. I opened one and there was some powder with no smell or taste and very silky feeling. The other was defiantly baby powder. I use baby powder to dust inner tubes but could not figure out what the other powder was. I threw it out and used the bottle for another sizing die storage. Now I know it was corn starch to dust boolits.
J