PDA

View Full Version : Gun opener

44man
11-24-2014, 01:06 PM
I told you about my shoulder injury where I can't raise my left arm. Had a large doe come in and I dumper her with the BFR .500 JRH. A buck came in and raised hell, circled to my right looking at the doe, she was moving her head. I put the dot on him and the shoulder went to pot, shaking like mad, missed clean. Soon a big 8 point came in and I was able to kneel on the stand to support my arm. He was walking fast at 50 yards so I pulled a lead and dumped him. 122742 sorry for the shade.

44man
11-24-2014, 01:09 PM
maybe a better picture.122743

MtGun44
11-24-2014, 01:39 PM
Congratulations, good deer. Sorry to hear about your shoulder, best wishes on it healing
soon and well.

Bill

popper
11-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Those rotator cuff injuries are nasty but the docs know how to fix them well. They can also grind off the ridge in the ball joint so it doesn't 'catch'. Got to start push=ups to get my arm & shoulder muscles back to be able to shoot shot gun.

44man
11-24-2014, 01:47 PM
It was hell to gut. It is warm And I was a rag. Took 3 of us to load the deer. I am a one armed bandit. The pain is just crazy. Have to ice the deer. I gave the buck to my hunting friend, cant handle two cutting jobs.

44man
11-24-2014, 01:51 PM
Those rotator cuff injuries are nasty but the docs know how to fix them well. They can also grind off the ridge in the ball joint so it doesn't 'catch'. Got to start push=ups to get my arm & shoulder muscles back to be able to shoot shot gun.
Nobody touches my shoulders. They heal. had two daughters with torn rotator cuffs. both are screwed up after surgery.

Wayne Smith
11-24-2014, 01:58 PM
Sounds like you need to ice your shoulder, too! Congratulations, I know you shoot multiple deer each year but those sound tender and good tasting.

Fishman
11-24-2014, 03:56 PM
Torn rotator cuffs do not heal. Repairing them asap after injury greatly improves the outcome. Physical therapy is important too. Your choice but this is one time where stubbornness is probably better applied after surgery rather than before.

dakotashooter2
11-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Nobody touches my shoulders. They heal. had two daughters with torn rotator cuffs. both are screwed up after surgery.

The ends of the tear will heal and cause scar tissue but the tear will still be there. The pain may diminish or even go away but often mobility/strength of the arm will be reduced. It will also be vulnerable to more tearing. Repairing partially healed tears are more difficult because of the scar tissue and sometimes are the cause of post surgery problems. A couple of docs told me the faster they are repaired the better the outcome. Success also depends on following through with therapy.

44man
11-24-2014, 04:58 PM
I don't think I tore much. It feels better every day. Strange, almost 77 and no broken bones. I am one that does not run to a doctor for anything. I fear them suckers.

John Allen
11-24-2014, 05:33 PM
44man, congrats on the deer. I hope your shoulder feels better. Sounds like time for some ice.

DougGuy
11-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I hope you will reap the benefits of a kill close to our national eating holiday! Nice deer, good shooting, and hope you can lift a fork come Thursday sir!

44man
11-25-2014, 11:12 AM
This was my try with a softer nose. About half the nose is 3# of pure with 1# of WW metal. I hit him close to the back of the shoulder and it came out the other shoulder but near the rear of it.
It was close to mid body but sure dumped him fast, he could not move.
I told Don to take some pictures when he cuts.
Both deer were on the ground when I came out of recoil. Quite impressive, matches my .475 now.
I hit the doe in the spine, had to cut both to bleed out.
Don came back in the afternoon and got a button buck.
In the morning I picked him up too early but all movement and shooting stopped. I forgot to set my watch back. Early on, it sounded like WW1. Next door there must have been 10 shots. Those guys miss and lose more deer then should be allowed. How in the world do you miss with a rifle?
Most shots here are under 50 yards. My buck was 50 to 60 yards but it was like shooting at a cow.
The revolver is a wonderful machine and a 30-30 is all needed here if rifle hunting. I wish the guys would use better then the guns they use.
Yes, I like the big bore revolvers but they still are small compared to a 30-06 in energy.
I have doubts when hunting, taking the gun out of my shoulder holster, but in the end I kill more deer then the rifle hunters. Even friends I hunt with are confused. Don uses a .270 and is a good shot. I still do better.

jonk
11-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Nice deer! I know what you mean. I got one when I had just blown out my back, but had to go anyhow. Fortunately another member was letting me hunt his land and he had some gear to make the job easier (ATV, backhoe, etc.) Didn't keep me from walking or shooting the deer, but putting any pressure on my back was a no no.

Dale53
11-25-2014, 12:13 PM
44Man;
Congratulations on a fine pair of deer!! I have to admire your grit, my man!! I am 79 and quit deer hunting when I could no longer drag a deer out of the woods. But, I have wonderful memories of my handgun hunting.

Dale53

44man
11-26-2014, 02:14 PM
Thanks dale, arm is much better today. I only had to drag 50 yards or so. I have a cable with a handle, works like a champ. Loading the hogs in my Polaris took three of us, had to get my grandson to help. Both deer were very large. I am glad I gave the buck to Don and this doe goes to the lady where I hunt. I need three more for her and her sister plus one more for me. Much more work to do.
Us old coots can do it "get er done."

jonp
11-26-2014, 07:13 PM
Congrats on the deer, 44man. Good shooting!

jonp
11-26-2014, 07:15 PM
Congrats on the deer, 44man. Good shooting! You might try a harness to drag the deer. I tried one several years ago and it worked like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Hauler-Deer-Harness-Orange/dp/B009FG7XGY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1417043659&sr=8-2&keywords=deer+harness

44man
11-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Might work too but I never have a far drag. The lady even cuts the lane for me.

RugerFan
11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
Nice couple of deer. Congrats!