PDA

View Full Version : Lee ACP

XRING363
09-22-2005, 02:19 PM
Fellas, I would like to decrease the weight of the bullets dropping from 2 Lee molds without getting into the alchemy of different alloys. One method I,m thinkin of is to draw the blocks over a file. Also maybe AL oxide paper on a sheet of glass. Any thoughts?
Regards,
Jeff

NVcurmudgeon
09-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Save yourself a whole lot of aggravation and buy another mould for a lighter boolit. One of the great things about Lee moulds is that the price is right.

David R
09-22-2005, 04:40 PM
The best you can do is pour em out of pure linotype, or one heck of a hard alloy. You are only going to save one or two grains of boolit weight.

Buy another mold.

Good luck

Char-Gar
09-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Not getting much sympathy are you? Well I don't have much more! You really should just buy another mold. But..if you want to play with a Lee mold, they are cheap enough andall you can do is ruin a mold you are not fond of anyway.

Taking stock off the top of the blocks has been used by many to remove beveled bases, gas check shanks etc. etc. However remember you are shortening the bearing sufaces of the bullet as well.

If I wanted to do such a thing and I didn't have a milling machine, I think I would draw file the top of the blocks and then make it flat on the emery paper taped to a piece of good glass.

chances of ruining a mold are high..but there is always the educational value of the exercise.

XRING363
09-22-2005, 08:14 PM
You know what? As Charger said, it's a cheap mold, the worst I could do is ruin the mold. The whole Leementing of molds has been employed with a .429 and a .357.... Thanks for you're comments, You guys are the BEST......
Regards,
Jeff
BTW, I am Diannas secret lover........