PDA

View Full Version : lee 401 sizer sizing to 398

mclement29
11-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Hey all.....this is my first post looking for a little help....recently decided to start loading for my g22 40s&w. ....got new dies boolit mold and 401 sizer, all lee.....the sizing die actually sizes to 398....is this normal or should I contact Lee about this

petroid
11-23-2014, 09:45 PM
What are you using to measure with? If just calipers, make sure they are reading correctly. I check mine against a couple sizes of jacketed bullets to verify they are right. If you don't have a micrometer (I don't either lol) get one. May not be necessary for measuring boolits to a thousandth but for barrel slugs you need the accuracy. You can contact Lee if you are sure it's out of spec, or try lapping it out yourself. And make sure your boolits are actually dropping bigger than .401" to start. Lee sizers don't make small boolits bigger.

mclement29
11-23-2014, 09:49 PM
Lol on not making them bigger.....yes using calipers.....didn't think of measuring a j boolit as reference.....the bullets are dropping at 402 to 404 with wq ww's

Garyshome
11-23-2014, 11:12 PM
Micrometer....yes! Caliper....no!

mclement29
11-23-2014, 11:18 PM
yea turns out just checked a couple j's and they measured 2 to 3 thousandths under also....guessi need to get a decent micrometer

petroid
11-24-2014, 02:20 PM
yea turns out just checked a couple j's and they measured 2 to 3 thousandths under also....guessi need to get a decent micrometer

If you have any 40/10mm jwords adjust the caliper so that it is at .400 and then measure your sized boolits. If you have plated set it at .401

nrdewalt
11-24-2014, 04:35 PM
You have to spend a boat load to get a set of calipers that are good enough to measure the diameter on bullets. Any flex or movement and your two thousandths off.

Twmaster
11-27-2014, 10:34 PM
You have to spend a boat load to get a set of calipers that are good enough to measure the diameter on bullets. Any flex or movement and your two thousandths off.

No you don't.

I'm a home shop machinist and generally look down on offshore tooling. However, I own a pair of Chinese digital calipers bought at Horrible Fright. I'm pleased with them. They work well and are consistent and accurate.

Are they as good as a $400 Mitutoyo? No, of course not. But are many of them accurate enough for boolits? Oh yes. And speaking of Mitutoyo. If you look around you can buy good used measuring tools on FeeBay or in pawn shops. I've got 2 6" Mitutoyo digital calipers that read down to 10ths. I paid $40 for the spendy one in a pawn shop.

No need to go goofy and spend a fortune measuring tools. Really. No reason.