PDA

View Full Version : Redemption

Silvercreek Farmer
11-23-2014, 09:59 AM
Tagged a doe last night. Felt real good after missing what should have been an easy shot with the muzzle loader a few weeks ago.

I'd been in the stand for a couple hours when two does blasted out of the woods in a pretty good run. They were running almost straight at me across a 200 yard long hay field, and had closed almost half the distance before I could even get my rifle up. There is a dividing fence about 50 yards out and the lead doe stopped for a second while contemplating what to do. That was my chance, I hit her head on in the chest with a Lee .309 170 out of my 30-06. Load was 21 grains of 2400 for an estimated 1800 fps. Alloy is around 90-10 AC COWW/SOWW. She proceeded to jump the fence run towards the edge of the woods, I saw her get wobbly and go down right inside, probably 20 yards from my stand. I tried to get a shot on the second doe, but instead of following the first, she zigged off to the side and disappeared into the woods. I pulled out the doe bleat and tried to call her back out, but she was gone. Just then I hear a shot, my hunting buddy had tagged the 4 point buck that was chasing the does.

Spent the rest of the evening butchering and hanging by the campfire. Recovered my boolit in the abdomen, just under the hide. It penetrated an estimated 30 inches and expanded pretty well but shed half of the rivet head despite not hitting any significant bone. A little tin would probably help, but I made these boolits years ago before I knew any better, and they seem to get the job done, so I just keep on using them. As it is, it was good enough for a 1.5 inch trench down the side of the heart. This is the 4th deer with that load and first recovered boolit. I'll weight it later on and post a picture along with the doe after my buddy sends the ones he took with his phone. It is supposed to rain all day today, perfect for cutting and packaging. Sure is nice to have some venison!

6bg6ga
11-23-2014, 10:02 AM
The main thing is that you got one. Many of us will never be able to enjoy going out deer hunting for various reasons. I have to be content to punch holes in paper.

smoked turkey
11-23-2014, 10:25 AM
Those missed deer are hard to forget, but we all have done it if we have been hunting long enough. You did really good on this one. I'd say you planned it just right if it ended up 20 yards from your stand. Sounds like you had a good time with the group and that is more than half the fun of the hunting experience.

Silvercreek Farmer
11-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Boolit shed its gas check, so l threw one on the scale to keep things fair. Looks like it lost around 38 grains or 79% weight retention. Not too bad.

seaboltm
11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I would call that excellent performance. It is real hard to get good bullet deformation and near 100% weight retention. With 30 inches of penetration, 79% weight retention, and decent bullet deformation, I think you nailed it.

WRideout
11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Congratulations! A freezer full of venison is a very good thing. I plan on using my cast boolit loads, also in 30-06, a week from Monday here in PA.

Wayne

Silvercreek Farmer
11-24-2014, 08:13 PM
Got the pictures!