PDA

View Full Version : HEY!! I am getting like a kid again!!

nekshot
11-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Had to make a repair on a water line from the pump and darn if I could find those 2 brand new saw saw blades I recently bought for a time as this. Then it hit me! I NEED to put all items of a tool together in one area of shop. Drills will be in a spot (electric,battery,hand brace)together with ALL bits right at the drill press. All saws in another spot clearly marked for each item so on and so on. Then it dawned on me! I need to set the shop up for a 12 year old kid that doesn't know anything but can go to area that is so designated! SHEEEEZ, I feel old all of a sudden!

Hickory
11-22-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm glad you caught yourself before you slipped into your second childhood.:bigsmyl2:

MrWolf
11-22-2014, 10:16 AM
I was just cleaning the basement about two weeks ago and started organizing my tools. Needed one last night that I put somewhere when cleaning and can't find it! Getting old...

mold maker
11-22-2014, 10:47 AM
I can find anything among organized clutter, but everything is lost when the clutter is removed.

Beagle333
11-22-2014, 10:51 AM
Buy at least half a dozen of everything and distribute them evenly around your shop area. It really cuts down on the search time. :veryconfu

slim1836
11-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Buy at least half a dozen of everything and distribute them evenly around your shop area. It really cuts down on the search time. :veryconfu

This:goodpost:. One can never have too many tools, or a big enough shop.
Now, if I could remember where the keys to the shop are.

Slim

Hardcast416taylor
11-22-2014, 11:07 AM
I`ve been promising myself that I should get better organised for the last....60 years or so, haven`t done it yet! Remember the "hunt" is the fun part of doing any job!Robert

popper
11-22-2014, 11:57 AM
I can find anything among organized clutter, but everything is lost when the clutter is removed. That worked when I was younger but finally got a rolling tool box. Everything gets put back, when I clean off the work bench. Just muscle memory now. The 'hunt' isn't fun anymore. Now where did I leave my glasses, coffee cup?

Dave18
11-22-2014, 01:03 PM
had 4 different out buildings and an old bus for tool sheds, with the plans to get a pole barn and have a actual shop, with hoist, machines ect all under the same roof,

thanks to a former member of the family, which cost me/us over 30,000 in legal fees (tell me how does someone elses divorce(daughter) become your divorce, but its now my divorce,with legal fees and official people lying in court, trying to take my guns ect, (at least the judge threw things out and I got a judgement against some people, but nothing close to recup the lawyer money spent, sigh),

my pole barn is for now just a dream , so its dig here , dig there, oh found that, now where is,,,,,,:-|

TXGunNut
11-22-2014, 01:16 PM
After I replaced my water heater I gathered a supply of clamps and fittings and put them with the plumbing specific tools in a bag. I put a coil of both sizes of water lines for my house on a hook in my tool shed and hung the bag on the hook. Those tools and fittings are expensive, would hate to replace them before doing a job I don't enjoy in the first place. Now I have a similar tool bag for electrical repairs, have had one for bicycle repairs for years.
Need to make some room on my workbench to mebbe cast a few boolits tomorrow. Decided a few minutes ago all the knife-making supplies need to go into coffee cans to reduce clutter.
A little organization is a good thing, not much chance of it getting out of hand around here!

DLCTEX
11-22-2014, 07:50 PM
When I read the title I thought you had discovered ****** (blue pill) or something. I have too much help to expect anything to stay in it's place.

big bore 99
11-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Reminds me of when I was a kid. My brother and myself used to borrow all my Father's tools and either put them back in a different spot or forget altogether. He went and put some peg board up and spray painted the outline of where everything should be. One glance from him and he could tell right away if anything was missing. Then, it would hit the fan.

Menner
11-22-2014, 08:48 PM
I have Three sons and for 20 plus years it was a constant battle of were the H___ is this wrench were the H___ are the pliers JUST PUT THEM BACK WERE THEY GO!!! ( I am not the most organized person in the world but I do try and get the tools close to were they go when I am done working on something ) But Vindication is mine!!! Middle son was over the other day and working on his truck and turned to me and said it sure is nice when the tools are were they belong and you don't have to hunt for them isn't it. You could have knocked me over with a feather LOL sometimes they listen

nemesisenforcer
11-22-2014, 08:52 PM
You guys actually find things when looking for them?

Got one up on me.

jsizemore
11-22-2014, 11:47 PM
I have Three sons and for 20 plus years it was a constant battle of were the H___ is this wrench were the H___ are the pliers JUST PUT THEM BACK WERE THEY GO!!! ( I am not the most organized person in the world but I do try and get the tools close to were they go when I am done working on something ) But Vindication is mine!!! Middle son was over the other day and working on his truck and turned to me and said it sure is nice when the tools are were they belong and you don't have to hunt for them isn't it. You could have knocked me over with a feather LOL sometimes they listen

You know he's screwing with you.

MaryB
11-23-2014, 01:46 AM
My "shop" is 12x16 foot, it has the riding lawn mower in it, the snow blower, the Traeger smoker, rolling tool box, radial arm saw, shelves, a work table that is usually buried... ohh and materials stacked in whatever spot I can find that has room... I need a new workshop!

pretzelxx
11-23-2014, 01:50 AM
What did I come here for again? Half the time I forget what I was looking for when I get out of the chair to search for it if its not on the bench. My wife says I have a memory problem! I'm only 24, there's no way Im losing it this early.

Wish i could remember what other relevant stuff i had to say...

crabo
11-23-2014, 01:51 AM
This is how I organize a lot of tools. Painting supplies in one tub, mud tools in another, electrical and plumbing have their own containers. Works pretty good.

6bg6ga
11-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Just remember once an adult twice a child.

Ehaver
11-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Every once in a while I take the time to clean and organize everthing... Then I have to use it again. My problem is putting it back after im done. Another problem is, I am never done!

TXGunNut
11-23-2014, 11:53 AM
My "shop" is 12x16 foot, it has the riding lawn mower in it, the snow blower, the Traeger smoker, rolling tool box, radial arm saw, shelves, a work table that is usually buried... ohh and materials stacked in whatever spot I can find that has room... I need a new workshop!

My loading/casting room is a small extra bedroom. With two big workbenches, two shelving units and a couple of bookcases it gets a little crowded. First step for any work session in there is often a clean-up so I can get some work done. Heat cycling some new moulds today and doing a little cleanup in there as well. Funny how big a mess I can make building a simple knife. By the time the heat cycles are complete I should have enough room to use them, LOL.

Doughty
11-23-2014, 12:08 PM
My problem is that I spend too much time thinking about the Hereafter. I walk into a room and think, "What am I here after?"

waksupi
11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
You guys actually find things when looking for them?

Got one up on me.

I ALWAYS find things I'm looking for. Usually, shortly after I have bought a replacement.

williamwaco
11-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Took me over 70 years but I finally got organized and got it all together.

Now If I could only remember where I put it?

buckwheatpaul
11-23-2014, 01:23 PM
Second Childhood is great....play hide-n-seek all the time for tools.....

Menner
11-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Yeah he was but he puts my tools back when he is done now

wild thing
11-23-2014, 08:30 PM
Why are all you guy's worried about finding your tools ? By the time you get to them you forget why it was needed. John

Blacksmith
11-24-2014, 11:50 AM
The search is half the fun. You keep finding things you forgot you had.

I had a son who would leave my tools and stuff laying out in the yard or wherever he was when he used it. He is now much more organized than I ever was but I got my revenge twice over; he gave me two grand children, now it is his turn. And I hereby apologize to my father for when I was a boy.

shdwlkr
11-24-2014, 11:55 AM
I am in the process of moving and some stuff I remember having but haven't seen in the move yet, boxes should be see through
I can't wait for my second childhood just hope I have the get up and go I did in the first

DLCTEX
11-24-2014, 05:22 PM
I grew up in a tractor dealership. Dad was forever asking my brothers and I if we put tools back in the tool box. We always said we did because we privately called the shop floor "the big toolbox".

John Allen
11-24-2014, 05:27 PM
I think we have all been there. I cleaned my shop up once and found 15 razor knives.

MaryB
11-24-2014, 10:33 PM
Next spring I need to hire 2 young kids, totally empty the shop toss the junk that I should have trashed years ago then insulate and drywall so I can use it better in winter. I need to find a cheap cargo container to hold the mower, snowblower, garden tools etc.