PDA

View Full Version : A good scope for a springer that won't wreck my budget

Ithaca Gunner
11-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I know, you get what you pay for, but sometimes you get more than what you pay for also, and sometimes less. Pyramid Air seems to favor the Leapers and Hawk scopes, but that's what they sell. I'd kinda like to keep it around $100.00 or under, but would go higher if the quality is there. Just something that'll stand up to the abuse of a springer and not fall apart on me while keeping it's adjustment. (asking for too much?)

Smoke4320
11-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Hawk scopes are actually pretty good .. I would put them over the leapers any day for lense quality..
as a test bed I mounted a Hawk 3x9x40 endurance model on a 50 cal black powder rifle 3 years ago.
It worked so well its still on there
Its taken 7 deer in the last 3 years and still going strong .. Its never lost its settings and only requires a very slight tweek year to year to be zeroed

DougGuy
11-21-2014, 05:10 PM
I dearly love the Leaper's with etched glass reticles. You will pay a bit more for them but they are springer rated, check out the 3x12x44 SWAT AO Compact on Pyramid Air, $150 and free shipping.

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Air%20Rifle%20stuff/Synrod/DSC02625_zps71a42c46.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Air%20Rifle%20stuff/Synrod/DSC02625_zps71a42c46.jpg.html)

Ithaca Gunner
11-21-2014, 06:28 PM
I dearly love the Leaper's with etched glass reticles. You will pay a bit more for them but they are springer rated, check out the 3x12x44 SWAT AO Compact on Pyramid Air, $150 and free shipping.

I was looking at the Leaper's 1-8X 30MM w/etched reticle in the paper catalog Pyramid sent, very nice looking scope indeed! I'll have to get on the site and check out the one you have. Only thing I don't think I like about them is the electronics in them, it's just something I can do without. I'm going to look farther into the Hawks also, as smoke4320 suggested. I'm surprised the Center point scope that came on my Crossman Nitro Venom is still good after 2 years of shooting, it's a bugger to adjust, but it does hold zero.

big bore 99
11-21-2014, 06:45 PM
Can't say much about the newer types, but I have an old Crossman 140 multiple pump that has a small Weaver on it and it's been shooting great for many years.

Ithaca Gunner
11-21-2014, 07:15 PM
Can't say much about the newer types, but I have an old Crossman 140 multiple pump that has a small Weaver on it and it's been shooting great for many years.

The multipumps don't destroy scopes like springers can. Years ago I mounted an airgun rated Leupold on a springer=destroyed the first day. Leupold made good on it and replaced it with a new scope, but I didn't put it on another airgun.

melloairman
11-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Take a look at BSA springer scopes as well . I never had a problem with them when I had springer's and I still have 2 in use on pcp 8 years later Marvin

DougGuy
11-21-2014, 11:01 PM
I have a BSA also on my MM tuned XS46U, it is a great scope but I do NOT like the threaded aluminum covers.

Ithaca Gunner
11-21-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't know about BSA, I bought one of their red dots and was very pleased, (still have it and use it). I bought a 4X scope and it was total junk. I took it right back for a refund. I view BSA as hit or miss.

RayinNH
11-21-2014, 11:44 PM
I have a BSA Essential AR 2x7-32. It works well. No trouble with it at all. Unlike Doug, I like the cover.

Ithaca Gunner
11-22-2014, 12:27 AM
After shopping on Pyrimid's site and talking with one of their people I ordered a Leapers 30mm, 1-8X with etched reticle and 3.5-5" eye relief.

ebner glocken
11-23-2014, 09:30 PM
I've had pretty good luck with centerpoints that can be bought at walmart for under 100. They stand behind the product even when mounted to springers. There's better scopes but you shall pay for them.

Ebner

Ithaca Gunner
11-24-2014, 12:51 AM
My Crosman Nitro came with a 3-9x32 Center Point and I must say it's held up for 2 years. I didn't think it would make it past the first can of pellets, but it's proven to be a decent scope.

Doggonekid
01-22-2015, 01:31 AM
The multipumps don't destroy scopes like springers can. Years ago I mounted an airgun rated Leupold on a springer=destroyed the first day. Leupold made good on it and replaced it with a new scope, but I didn't put it on another airgun.

Was the Leupold scope an EFR (extended focus range). That is what Leupold told me to put on my R1 and it was on there for about 5 years with out a single problem. I transferred it to my Air Arms which probably does not need a air gun scope. Don't sell your self short on your optics. Good optics are just as important as a good gun. Expensive guns get expensive scopes and cheep guns get cheep scopes. Your gun is only as good as your scope is. Probably the best way to get a good scope at a good price is to watch for used ones. Ebay, pawn shops, second hand stores.

Doggonekid
01-22-2015, 01:39 AM
Sorry for my last confusing post I was trying to respond to a post by Ithaca Gunner. I still am trying to understand how all of this works.:killingpc

Shooter6br
01-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Leapers Gen 5 . Heavy but holds up (Cheap)

Newtire
01-24-2015, 10:49 AM
Years ago, I put a cheap Japanese Taco 1" scope on a HW77 and it's held up great. The airgun guru at the last gun show told me that those were designed for airgun to begin with. Only the Japanese models.

W.R.Buchanan
01-28-2015, 02:00 PM
MY R1 killed my cherished Leapers 1-4x that had survived 1500 rounds on my Mini14 in less than 100 shots.

I was bummed! I really liked that scope. It rotated the Reticle!

I replaced it with a Leupold VX1 1-4x. Leupold designed all of their internal mechanism's to be able to cope with the bidirectional recoil of a spring powered gun.

This scope was $200 but it is guaranteed for life and I know Leupold will fix it if it has a problem. Also a $200 scope on a $800 gun is not out of place.

Make sure you buy a mount that has a key stud which picks up one of the holes in the top of the receiver to prevent the whole mess from moving every time you pull the trigger. Please don't believe those who tell you that they don't move.

I first purchased a mount with 4 clamp screws recommended by a sales guy at Pyramyd for $75 that didn't have a key stud. With nearly 50 IP on the four screws it still moved .005 on every shot! Any more would have stripped the screws. and 25 should be more than adequate.

I replaced it with a Leapers $14.95 one piece mount with 150+ 5 Star Reviews,,, with a key stud. It works perfectly!

Please Note: the Key Stud must go into a hole on the top of the gun. Just using it like a set screw won't work and you'll end up with a line gouged into the top of your gun.

Randy

Ithaca Gunner
01-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Was the Leupold scope an EFR (extended focus range). That is what Leupold told me to put on my R1 and it was on there for about 5 years with out a single problem. I transferred it to my Air Arms which probably does not need a air gun scope. Don't sell your self short on your optics. Good optics are just as important as a good gun. Expensive guns get expensive scopes and cheep guns get cheep scopes. Your gun is only as good as your scope is. Probably the best way to get a good scope at a good price is to watch for used ones. Ebay, pawn shops, second hand stores.

Yes, it was an EFR. To update, I got the Leapers 1-8 30mm With the etched retical. So far, so good. Almost 1,000 pellets through the gun with this scope and no problems at all.