PDA

View Full Version : Injured dog advice

Lonegun1894
11-21-2014, 07:30 AM
A friends dog was hit by a car and ended up with a broken leg. It's already been through one surgery, and now needs another to try and fix it, although the vet has said it may just end up getting amputated depending on how this second surgery goes. I am sending some money to put toward the bill because the initial surgery and medical care so far has eaten up his savings, but the vet said to expect around $400 this time around. I can't send enough to cover it, but we will make it happen between the two of us, I hope. Does anyone here know a vet in Eastern Kentucky who might be cheaper, or any other ideas or advice? He has been working with the dog trying to give it therapy to build up the strength and everything slowly, but we all know that isn't always a solution, even though anything is worth a try. There is no date set for the surgery, but I have been told that the vet said the sooner the better. Anyway, any advice or ideas are appreciated, weather that be meds, nutrition, exercises, etc. Any thoughts?

white eagle
11-21-2014, 08:08 AM
although I can't help with the vet I do understand what this person is going through
My dog had a flipped colon and needed surgery to save his life and with a continual special diet has cost thousands
I applaud you friends dedication to their pet and hope all goes well for them

6bg6ga
11-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Its a hard decision to make. I've had to put German Shepherds down simply because I didn't have the 10-12K needed for hip replacement. So, I know the pain. You also need to consider what the dog is going thru. Is it fair to make them suffer thru the numerous operations? My opinion of Vets has gone down considerably in the last 1-2 years. Last year we were struggeling trying to keep our little female German Shepherd alive. I finally ended up telling the Vet what I figured the problem was and asked for medication for that and well problem solved at the cost of $1500.00

captaint
11-21-2014, 10:42 AM
I was gonna say - 400 bux for any kind of vet surgery would be REALLY cheap in this neck of the woods. What's the hardest med school to get admitted to ?? Vet school. Any more, these folks get more than regular MD's. They have us, don't they ?? My son actually got insurance for his dog... Good luck with your friends dog. Hope he makes out OK. Mike

buckwheatpaul
11-21-2014, 11:08 AM
In Texas you can sometime take them to TEX. A & M vet school....you might see what the great state of KY has.....just a thought....hope all goes well...keep us posted....we are tender hearted bunch when it comes to dogs and cats!

dakotashooter2
11-21-2014, 11:21 AM
$400 sounds very cheap........

jmort
11-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Not sure what is intended, procedure wise, but agree, $400 is inexpensive when using the term "vet surgery."

scb
11-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Had a torn ACL fixed in a dog 5-6 years ago. IIRC to was about $600.00 then. I might seek a second opinion on the probable success of the surgery and think about going straight to amputation. I've known several 3 legged dogs that have gone on to live really pretty normal lives.

obssd1958
11-21-2014, 12:24 PM
... I've known several 3 legged dogs that have gone on to live really pretty normal lives.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Multigunner
11-21-2014, 12:29 PM
If its a hind leg losing it usually won't even slow a dog down.
One of the fastest dogs we owned had lost a hind leg.
It was a medium small dog, don't know how well a larger dog could handle it.

Read of a three legged wolf that was the fastest runner of its pack.

Multigunner
11-21-2014, 12:34 PM
Also
When my large herd dog had a stroke brought on by a spider bite he could barely walk and sometimes couldn't get up at all.

I took a beach towel and folded it then ran it under his chest and belly then used this to lift him to his feet. I'd walk with him holding up part of his weight like carrying a suitcase.
To get him up the porch steps I'd stand behind him and raise each hind foot up and place it on the next step. He recovered fully.

Lonegun1894
11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I was kinda surprised at the price tag too, and was expecting more. I will pass on the advice of a second opinion and to see if there is an equivalent there of TX A&M, been to that one with a dog that had a similar injury and the bill was a bit over $2k, and that was 10 years ago. As to what they make, I can't speak for current salaries, but looked at going to vet school when I was in high school in '97/'98 and was told back then that most veterinarians make about $40K/yr starting out. Talking to my local one, he said that was accurate for him til he got tired of working for someone else and opened his own clinic, over which his wife divorced him cause of staying broke for several years before he got enough of a client base built up. I didn't ask numbers, but he said he is now comfortable, but not rich and never will be.

Anyway, I'll pass y'alls suggestions on to him. Thanks everyone.

MaryB
11-21-2014, 11:23 PM
If needed I can walk you through setting up a go fund me drive. People usually will donate a little to help someones pet. Can also do a fund raising drive here you know.