PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead type survival scenario

nemesisenforcer
11-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Here's the sit: you and 5 others are tasked with going on a long distance recon/medical supply run through an area that might be heavily infested with infected and/or unfriendlies. Walking is your only mode of transport and you will have to gone 3-5 days altogether. Your target is a pharmacy that you have good intel is relatively intact with much needed antibiotics, dressings, antiseptics, and other vitally needed goods to keep the rest of your group healthy.

You are allowed one long gun and one handgun per person, with the rest of the kit being more or less left to the individual. What guns do you choose and why? How much ammo? Remember, speed and time are of the essence, but so is having enough power to fight off hostiles or walkers. What balance do you strike? What is in the rest of the kits? Assuming some kind of standardization is possible, do you go for that or have a mix of weapons and tools?

starmac
11-20-2014, 06:50 PM
lol.......

dragon813gt
11-20-2014, 07:00 PM
Please none of this garbage here. There are plenty of other forums of you want to discuss this type of idiotic scenario.

willie_pete
11-20-2014, 07:15 PM
Anything you can make a headshot with. :bigsmyl2:

WP

shooter93
11-20-2014, 07:17 PM
You won't make it......a large gang with a huge truck load of guns and lots of fuel is already there.

starmac
11-20-2014, 07:21 PM
Please none of this garbage here. There are plenty of other forums of you want to discuss this type of idiotic scenario.

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
About every forum on homesteading, survival, back country living in general has been totally consumed by this kind of imaginitive junk, to the point you can't hardly wade through them anymore.

JSnover
11-20-2014, 07:34 PM
I'll second that.

Outpost75
11-20-2014, 08:04 PM
Agree. I come here to escape the mall ninjas.

Love Life
11-20-2014, 08:09 PM
Ninja stars and nunchaku.

waksupi
11-20-2014, 08:16 PM
A swing, and a miss. Next batter.

btroj
11-20-2014, 08:17 PM
Hey, leave the pharmacy alone. Those guys have enough robberies with drug addicts already, now we need to watch out for anti-zombie freaks too?

M-Tecs
11-20-2014, 09:10 PM
THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
About every forum on homesteading, survival, back country living in general has been totally consumed by this kind of imaginitive junk, to the point you can't hardly wade through them anymore.

Starmac normally I agree with you but this isn't "imaginitive junk" it at best is "immature junk". We don't need nor want it here!!!!

Blammer
11-20-2014, 09:20 PM
are they fast zombies or slow zombies....

:D

Just had to ask...

MaryB
11-20-2014, 10:19 PM
You are dead meat because you were to stupid to have all the supplies you need already in storage.

TES
11-20-2014, 10:26 PM
My wife and I watch this show and I have always been puzzled at how easy it would be to eradicate zombie hoards.....set up a loud anything and a sacrificial animal or ten....then blow large amounts of the dead into an oblivion with a shock box and dynoMITEEEEEEEE.

GhostHawk
11-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Fools errand IMO.

Need to do it on day one of SHTF or don't do it at all.

blademasterii
11-20-2014, 10:46 PM

Hamish
11-20-2014, 10:57 PM
:bigsmyl2:Did someone say Tactical Flexible Flyer Little Red Wagon?

btroj
11-20-2014, 11:31 PM
What would I pick? Irrelevant.

What matters is what would Gecko45 use.

Garyshome
11-20-2014, 11:40 PM
No problem I would send a group Younger then me! I'm too old to believe in that stuff!

Bzcraig
11-21-2014, 12:19 AM
This needs to be left on the Xbox!

waksupi
11-21-2014, 03:38 AM
I see a trend developing. Most members here are approaching or past, uh, senior citizen level. Kid stuff isn't of great interest. I do know the OP has had some good posts on the board. This just isn't one of them.

MikeBitzenburger
11-21-2014, 04:06 AM
And people wonder why some do not post here very often and instead choose to just read instead. Some of the responses to this thread are nothing short of rude. Who would want to invite that kind of nonsense into their lives? The poster had a legitimate question for a scenario his generation seems to appreciate and all most of you could do is whiz in his wheaties for asking it. Shame on all of you who could have just said nothing instead of doing what you did.

robg
11-21-2014, 05:44 AM
ruger 1022 with mod keep things quiet ,can carry 1000 rounds easy .next daft senario ?

762 shooter
11-21-2014, 07:24 AM
After reading through this thread, I totally agree with post #2.

And I did post #2 when I saw Post #17.

HATCH
11-21-2014, 09:05 AM
But I like playing these little games.

I am assuming that we are playing by the rules set forth in The Walking Dead.
Slow moving zombies
9 out of 10 chicks are HOT
30 rd AR mags are really UNLIMITED capacity

I would go with a AR with a scope and a suppressor
22 LR pistol (mkII heavy barrel) also with a can
Little red wagon with tons of mags on it.

dragon813gt
11-21-2014, 09:12 AM
And people wonder why some do not post here very often and instead choose to just read instead. Some of the responses to this thread are nothing short of rude. Who would want to invite that kind of nonsense into their lives? The poster had a legitimate question for a scenario his generation seems to appreciate and all most of you could do is whiz in his wheaties for asking it. Shame on all of you who could have just said nothing instead of doing what you did.

I'm 35 and most likely younger than the OP. These type of threads are just plain stupid. Step away from the computer and get outside. I chastise anyone my age that is into this type of thing. The world is being set on fire all around us and adults want to discuss zombie fantasies. Give me a break.

MikeBitzenburger
11-21-2014, 09:20 AM
What a friendly neighborhood

btroj
11-21-2014, 09:21 AM

It is a legitimate question, for a different venue.

Love Life
11-21-2014, 09:22 AM
I find these topics kind of fun and informative. The zombie thingy has gotten alot of people involved in shooting. I'll take that.

To answer the OP directly. I believe a 10/22 with 25 rd magazines is adequate to defend yourself from zombie hoards. I actually think a lever action 22 might be better due to never losing the magazine and ease of reloading once empty or while there is a lull in the action.

No having to stuff magazines, hope the magazine doesn't get lost, and a rather rapid rate of fire.

Just my thoughts and have fun with this!!

I would want to travel light-ish so I would pack enough food (if available) to just get me through 3 days and look to supplement with scrounged stuff.

I would opt for stealth over slugging it out and would avoid all engagements where possible.

Medical supplies I would bring a small 1st aid kit that allowed me to deal with lacerations and other not too serious wounds.

HATCH
11-21-2014, 09:43 AM
I'm 35 and most likely younger than the OP. These type of threads are just plain stupid. Step away from the computer and get outside. I chastise anyone my age that is into this type of thing. The world is being set on fire all around us and adults want to discuss zombie fantasies. Give me a break.

You are ten years younger then me.
But let me run this by you.
If you plan for zombie fantasies then you plan for most things that can happen out there.

Civil unrest - well heck thats just like the zombie hoard. Just aim for the head - one shot per.....
Lawlessness - Isn't that where we are almost at now?? Anything goes
Fire and Brimstone - The Anti-Christ is walking among us now. so I expect that once hell freezes over its gonna be the next event.

NoAngel
11-21-2014, 09:49 AM
There's a dynamic to the whole zombie thing that those with little or no imagination disregard. If one is properly prepared for "zombie hoards" one is properly prepared for any scenario be it tornadoes and hurricanes or civil collapse. In this politically correct, can't talk about shooting another human being, neutered pansy world we've allowed to befall us, the zombie is the perfect metaphor/scape goat. No tree hugging hippe, democrat filth gets their dander worked up near as much over zombies as they do more realistic and truthful discussions.

Silly, maybe.
Completely irrelevant, hardly.
Alec Guinness once said in a movie, "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view."
Using a zombie as a discussion target is an effective tool for getting the point across while giving those who still have something left of their morals some breathing room. Who still has a conscience and actually wants to discuss the possible need for killing people and fighting to keep ones family alive? Denying that possible future for this once great country is signing your own death warrant.

Again, silly on the surface? I'll concede, but cut the guy some slack. It's not completely devoid of merit.

robg
11-21-2014, 11:17 AM
well said noangel ,id include all the western world in this

jmort
11-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Love the comments promoting lock-step thinking. Only start threads that meet their approval. What a joke. This is not my cup of tea, but this is a discussion sub-forum for shooting the breeze. Any non-offensive topic is fair regardless of what the thread police think. Stop trying to control other people, you are way less important than you think you are.

Bonz
11-21-2014, 11:30 AM
some people feel that zombie anything is ridiculous because the dead can never come back to life and others substitute "possible" things in place of zombies, such as people with infectious deadly diseases, terrorists, etc.

dakotashooter2
11-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Zombies can't exist. Even if by some miracle their brains were able to function enough to send signals to the body, those bodies with massive blood loss would fail to function (think of a hydralic system without oil). Others would fail in a short period of time due to decay and lack of fuel.............Most zombies would fail to function within the first week and the rest probably within 2-3 weeks........... Just wait it out in a bunker..

robg
11-21-2014, 11:36 AM
for zombies read loonies of whatever persuasion

MT Gianni
11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Make sure that you get the lighting correct and that all cameras have the proper angles. If you are going to make movies frequent takes cost money.

Thumbcocker
11-21-2014, 12:37 PM
Wouldn't they just freeze solid in January?

HATCH
11-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Good question.
Another question that has always bugged me is that all this rotten flesh yet no crows or buzzards are attacking them.

6bg6ga
11-21-2014, 03:30 PM
Dude, put the moonshine down and get yourself some good help. Walking dead? Really?

Friends call me Pac
11-21-2014, 03:41 PM
I really like zombie movies. Guess 49 years old and 20 years in the military doesn't equate to being grown up yet but it does allow me to get outside and hunt, fish or shoot any day I choose. Think I'll make some popcorn and put on a zombie movie since it's around mid 40's and raining here at the house and I don't want or need to go outside.

After reading some of the remarks the phrase, "Lighten up Francis" comes to mind.

Forgetful
11-21-2014, 03:44 PM
Three words: Walk Slightly Faster.

If it were the zombies from World War Z.. well, those ones are a little terrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTr0k6-8_Fw

NoAngel
11-21-2014, 04:04 PM
The end all weapon for zombies isn't a gun or bomb or anything as clumsy. The easiest most effective weapon for walkers is the Dermestid Beetle. They thrive on necrotic flesh and reproduce quickly in a food rich environment.
Once they took hold in an area it's a matter of time until thered be nothing more than clean bones in piles.

Smoke4320
11-21-2014, 04:39 PM
for all the end of the world as we know it situations I would choose a suppressed 22 rifle and Pistol. Light, fast, and quiet...You can carry hundreds of rounds and not be weighed down much. a first aid kit and a couple MRE's, some water ect.. in other words a go bag or bug out bag
situations calling for this may never happen but what the hay I will play along

JSnover
11-21-2014, 04:46 PM
I watch TWD and I enjoy it but threads like this belong in Humor/Off Topic.

dakotashooter2
11-21-2014, 04:59 PM

That's a good point that I had not considered.

Multigunner
11-21-2014, 06:32 PM
When deprived of oxygen rich blood the brain can go into "Anerobic Glycolysis". Some coma victims have lived like this for some time, but its considered irreversable. The organs have to start up again after whatever event caused this death like state so they aren't technically dead, though "living dead" fits the bill well enough.
Their brains cells no longer need oxygen to survive.

I suspect that several known cases of people appearing to be dead yet coming back to life hours or days later may have been isolated examples of the condition reversing itself. No way of knowing since these people were simply sent to the morgue or zipped into a body bag without tests that could determine if they were in an Anerobic Glycolysis state.

As for weapons in the thread starter scenario. A pistol caliber auto loader carbine and high capacity auto pistol in the same caliber, preferably each using the same magazines.
The .22 rimfire often fails to kill even if it penetrates the brain, it doesn't disrupt enough brain tissue to be sure of switching off a zombie before it could close and bite.
Suppressors would help in avoiding drawing the attention of more zombies.

As for anti biotics these can be more deadly than any infection if past their shelf life or left without a cool storage place due to power outages. The old Sulfa drug wound dressing antibiotics seem to have required no special storage and held up well to tropical heat.

Janoosh
11-21-2014, 07:08 PM
What dull monotonous lives these naysayers have had. I'm 61, and I love TWD. It seems no-one has rafted down the mighty Mississippi with Tom Sawyer, or ran the forest with Long Carabine, or sailed with Ahab or Lucky Jack Aubrey. No one bought a flintlock because of seeing The Last of the Mohicans or Drums Along the Mohawk.
Or walked with Wyatt to the corral. Or shot with Quigley.
Hahaha.....Fantasy is where you find it and I'm always looking.
To the OP....keep on. There is some discussion of this genre in the prepping section of outdoors.
Oh....apologies... AK and 9 mm ......three bottles water, three mre or equivalent, lots of ammo for each, road flares for distraction, evasion is the key.

MtGun44
11-21-2014, 09:57 PM
Amazing that adults discuss the impossible as if it were possible.
Never have understood the whole zombie thing, can't imagine spending
any time on it.

BUT, for the time being it is still one of our freedoms. Carry on!

Bill

MaryB
11-21-2014, 10:39 PM
With the latest report that China or Russia could kill the electric grid via hacking we could see the civil unrest scenario... no power for 7 days and people start dying...

starmac
11-21-2014, 10:44 PM
LOL, I always wondered how that tv show, the simpsons stayed on the air over a week, now I know.

TES
11-21-2014, 11:49 PM
Jeeze....If the world was perfect than there would be nothing to report about in history class.

Zombies - People that have resorted to primal instincts to just be able to survive.

So... if we know that people get desperate when they want to live...and we are people ( an assumption) ...is there anything in the history of the world were genocide has taken place? On a massive scale? At the direction of a few? That don't put themselves into harms way?...ect...ect add nausea.

How high can you count?

We have been fortunate enough to have never experienced this in our life time....in America...but that does not mean others have not experienced it....

Watch "Machine Gun Preacher" That is a zombie apocalypse and it has been happening for far to long.

Now imagine this happening in your town...Who would you be?

WARNING: if you have children...bring a hankie.

Forgetful
11-21-2014, 11:49 PM
With the latest report that China or Russia could kill the electric grid via hacking we could see the civil unrest scenario... no power for 7 days and people start dying...

If you have close neighbors and a generator they don't know about.. getting a muffler and exhaust system would be a great idea. Be sure to disconnect the main breaker before turning it on.

M-Tecs
11-22-2014, 12:33 AM
I have watched every episode of the Walking Dead. I really enjoy it.

The issue that I have with the OP is mixing fantasy with reality and shooting on a shooting forum. Most people can keep fantasy and reality separate however a growing number of people cannot as demonstrated by the rapid increase in the number of mass shootings.

Do we really want Cast Boolits to go down the path of debating the merits of what’s best for the shooting of mass quantities of people whether they are living or the walking dead?

TES
11-22-2014, 01:13 AM
I have watched every episode of the Walking Dead. I really enjoy it.

The issue that I have with the OP is mixing fantasy with reality and shooting on a shooting forum. Most people can keep fantasy and reality separate however a growing number of people cannot as demonstrated by the rapid increase in the number of mass shootings.

Do we really want Cast Boolits to go down the path of debating the merits of what’s best for the shooting of mass quantities of people whether they are living or the walking dead?

So lets ignore the world we live in? I don't get it. I like the people here...I think we are like minded. I would like to think the people here are do'ers , innovators not followers. That's why we make our own instead of waiting.

starmac
11-22-2014, 01:58 AM
The world I live in does not have any zombies.

MtGun44
11-22-2014, 02:14 AM
+1 on starmac.

Bill

RoyEllis
11-22-2014, 02:37 AM

You've not met some of my past neighbors, have ya?
Meth-heads are pretty doggone close facsimile thereof except for the whole biting part.[smilie=l:

robg
11-22-2014, 05:32 AM
come on guys its just a bit of fun .lighten up[smilie=s:

JSnover
11-22-2014, 06:51 AM
If 'Our Town' is visible to the public, No.
Every now and then I get a "are you one of those guys that…?" from someone when they find out I have guns. In the wrong context this sort of thing takes on a life of its own and we end up having to assure people that we actually don't believe in zombies, etc. Its embarrassing and this stuff really does get out there.
On an ebola thread someone suggested shooting ill family members instead of letting them into your home/shelter. Last weekend someone asked if I would do that. I didn't ask where they got the idea but if it was Cast Boolits, we need to think about how we present ourselves, both on and off the boards.
Move this Teenage Mutant Zombie junk to Humor/Off Topic, at least over there its members-only.

ohland
11-22-2014, 12:51 PM
On an ebola thread someone suggested shooting ill family members instead of letting them into your home/shelter.

Yes! Let's play the Airlock game and have values clarification! Yaay! Teambulding is #1! Your tax dollars at work...

Sort of echos of Ferguson, with lots of folks talking about the varied kinds of unrest... But somehow then saying "but don't do that" sort of underwhelms the end result.

Hey, where did the Rev. Jackson go? All I see is Al Sharpton (the Tax resister).... Nobody could whip things up quite like the Justice Brothers....

dtknowles
11-22-2014, 12:54 PM
If you have close neighbors and a generator they don't know about.. getting a muffler and exhaust system would be a great idea. Be sure to disconnect the main breaker before turning it on.

Why do I have to disconnect my main breaker when I use my generator? I run things on extension cords that connect right to the generator, it is not connected to my house wiring or the grid.

Tim

ohland
11-22-2014, 01:12 PM
Why do I have to disconnect my main breaker when I use my generator? I run things on extension cords that connect right to the generator, it is not connected to my house wiring or the grid. Tim

Hmm, as long as the total start-up current for everything (that is ON) attached to the generator is below the maximum current, there shouldn't be a problem.

I was looking at Inverter Generators.. Can't quite come up with a need yet, as I don't use power out in the woods. But I do love the thought of more tools!

This has NOTHING to do with Tim's situation, but the ads telling people to get their solar installation done before 31 December irritate me -

On a slightly connected topic, I wonder why people that have PV arrays can't understand why the power utility doesn't really like the idea of getting fed power off their PV array. First, it is not constant. Second, it is not (relatively) significant (show me some three phase 220, then we will talk). Imagine _IF_ there was enough alternative power surging into the grid to reduce the need for generating capacity. Then a storm front moves in and the free solar energy slumps big time. Now your friendly utility has to bring up off-peak capacity. Imagine the big power users with a slump in available power to their machining centers... Another victory for alternative energy... just don't mind the scrap created when the power fluctuates.

dtknowles
11-22-2014, 01:14 PM

You mean human zombies, undead.....There are many reported cases of animals and humans acting in incredibly bizarre, violent and mindless ways. To be included some guy trying to bite someone's face off. The OP was specific though, he did reference Walking Dead, who I agree the Humor/off topic forum would have been better.

What I am about to interject might be better on the prepper forum but if civil society falls apart, gangs of cannibals are a possibility. Gangs, cannibals or not would be a threat if a supply expedition was to be attempted. The merits of such an expedition, its likelihood of success and the potential losses, could be a serious and lengthy discussion. Recon, tactics, personnel, would seem to me to be more important than the choice of weapons.

Tim

dtknowles
11-22-2014, 01:27 PM
Hmm, as long as the total start-up current for everything (that is ON) attached to the generator is below the maximum current, there shouldn't be a problem.

I was looking at Inverter Generators.. Can't quite come up with a need yet, as I don't use power out in the woods. But I do love the thought of more tools!

I should have just said that your comment about the Main Breaker applies to specific applications and is not a universal requirement. I start my generator without any load and then start turning things on. I usually have a couple small constant loads and the refrigerator. The small loads are lights and battery chargers. I have a small inverter and a 12 volt Lead battery and many rechargeable lithium batteries. I do not run the generator for extended periods of time because of the noise and fuel consumption. It is good to know we can have power if we need it but when the power is out we mostly get by without using the generator but we don't want the stuff in the fridge to spoil or melt. After a couple days the fridge stuff is eaten up and we are down to canned or dry goods anyway. No Hurricanes so far this year, knock wood, still a couple weeks until the season is over.

Tim

Firebricker
11-22-2014, 03:14 PM
If you run your generator through your breaker box you turn off the mains to protect linemen and utility workers. It just insures no power can go back out to the power line they may be repairing. FB

Janoosh
11-22-2014, 05:19 PM
A poster lamented about where this thread belongs.....perhaps prepping in the outdoorsman section.
A poster stated "immature", and others posted as naysayers.
History unexplored and studied is often repeated. I grew up in NYC in the sixties and as a child practiced the "Civil Defense" drills ( under the desk, head/face away from the windows). In NYC, most schools, apartment buildings had CD signs posted outside to be used as fallout shelters. My uncle, a Bronx native, WW2 vet of North African campaign, made his own fallout shelter.
All the prepping is just a carry over of those times. With the advent of the world wide interweb, we now communicate worldwide what we once said among friends as a "What If".

starmac
11-22-2014, 05:28 PM
He he, If I had to choose between having a bomb shelter and imagineing zombie hoards, I would probably start building a bomb shelter this evening. lol

Maybe we need a new forum in the pit called wild imaginations or something of the sort. lol

Janoosh
11-22-2014, 05:55 PM
Starmac....+1000.....I'm with ya.!!
Picture this if you will. My uncle had a garden, fruit trees (figs, cherry, pear),chickens, ducks and rabbits, two story house with attached shop,(with shelter) and a garage, on a 1/4 acre (5 lots), in the Bronx, from the end of the war to the 70's. Different times back then.

starmac
11-22-2014, 05:58 PM
Times are the same, different people these days. lol

scaevola
11-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Zombies = old news; been with us a long time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fv5I2rmtuU&spfreload=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fv5I2rmtuU&spfreload=10

MaryB
11-23-2014, 02:31 AM
They have that figured out quite well actually. I am only 40 miles from one of the biggest wind farms in the USA and never see the power blip from that. But grid tie solar is not the route I would ever take, to much government intrusion into what you are doing, to many regulations, forced to buy extra insurance in case of a failure to disconnect of the grid drops, and no power if the grid drops unless you are setup with a hybrid battery/grid tie system. I use all the power I generate, if the batteries are full the computer shifts in more loads up to the inverter max. Fridge and freezer run off solar 100% now, ham radio station 100%, computer/tv/surround system whenever I have the extra power... I will keep adding solar panels until I run out of space. And yes, they make 3 phase solar inverters for heavy equipment!

This has NOTHING to do with Tim's situation, but the ads telling people to get their solar installation done before 31 December irritate me -

On a slightly connected topic, I wonder why people that have PV arrays can't understand why the power utility doesn't really like the idea of getting fed power off their PV array. First, it is not constant. Second, it is not (relatively) significant (show me some three phase 220, then we will talk). Imagine _IF_ there was enough alternative power surging into the grid to reduce the need for generating capacity. Then a storm front moves in and the free solar energy slumps big time. Now your friendly utility has to bring up off-peak capacity. Imagine the big power users with a slump in available power to their machining centers... Another victory for alternative energy... just don't mind the scrap created when the power fluctuates.

Blacksmith
11-23-2014, 03:03 AM
The problem with using zombies as surrogates for real life disaster preparations is in real life it will be much harder to tell the good from the bad. If all bad people walked funny, had rotting flesh and could be shot on sight the world would be much easier to live in. In a real "situation" the good and bad will look very much alike and the bad will try to appear "good" to gain an advantage. Because among the hoards there will be good people with helpful skills you will not want to kill everyone on sight. Once again reality and entertainment are vastly different.

And Gecko45 would use multiple trauma plates for protection and a selection of tacitacool weapons while embarking on the journey in his modified golf cart.:bigsmyl2:

Col4570
11-23-2014, 12:18 PM
We do have the equivalent of Zombies,they are known as Jehadis.

Forgetful
11-23-2014, 12:45 PM
We do have the equivalent of Zombies,they are known as Jehadis.

You wouldn't want your zombie neighbors to figure out you have power, so if connected to your house wiring you break the mains to prevent it from juicing your neighbors house too. Burn out your gen that way too if you're not careful. This way your fridge will still work, but keep your lights off like its an air raid. Can you imagine their outrage if they found out you had power? Their entitlement, combined with us being unbelieving 'non-human' infidels. We exist for their taking. Sounds very much like a criminals mantra.

montana_charlie
11-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Why do I have to disconnect my main breaker when I use my generator? I run things on extension cords that connect right to the generator, it is not connected to my house wiring or the grid.
The advice was given in the context where you have neighbors who don't know that you have a generator ... and you don't want them to know.

So, you put on a muffler to keep the noise down, and you turn off your main breaker so that when you start your generator, you don't turn the lights on AT EVERYBODY'S HOUSE.

I came in here to learn and I think I have learned all I need to know about castboolits in general. THANKS AND GOODBYE
Bye!

CM

starmac
11-23-2014, 04:27 PM
Fantasy land, I have looked at several sites Varying from survival to homesteading or actually just living at rural life, and most all of them have been taken over by zombie or similar fantasies, to the point that the sites contain so little percentage of actual imformative info, that they are virtually useless, as far as real life scenarios.
I realized yesterday I too have been bitten by the fantasy imagination bug. I saw a cow moose, and just for a second I imagined putting a 405 grain cast bullet in her boiler room. I realize now I was in la la land because I don't have a cow permit AND didn't even have my rifle with me.
So you guys that are dreaming of having to kill your sick family members and hungry neighbors, carry on. It seems to be becoming somewhat normal. For me though I think I should be able to find other things to think about so I don't have to worry if my neighbor finds out I have a generator or not. lol I just hope everybody raises their kids in LaLa land too, so they won't feel out of place when they grow up. lol

Dan Cash
11-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Who owns the pharmacy and what do they have to say about the disposition of their property?
This is nonsense because in the situation you will take what you have to the party.

Love Life
11-23-2014, 04:49 PM
Geez. Sure are a whole lot of sticks in the mud in here. Funny thing is about once a week another "Time for rebellion" topic shows up in the pit and some of the members posting on this fantasy thread are prime posters on the "Save America with Rebellion" topics in the pit.

Just saying...

jmort
11-23-2014, 05:05 PM
I agree, "Why so serious?"

JSnover
11-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Geez. Sure are a whole lot of sticks in the mud in here. Funny thing is about once a week another "Time for rebellion" topic shows up in the pit and some of the members posting on this fantasy thread are prime posters on the "Save America with Rebellion" topics in the pit.

Just saying...
And that's all Im saying. Put it in the Pit. I'll bet it gets a lot more action there.

Hamish
11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Funny part is, when things go South due to the real life idiots in charge, the "nerdy" zombie goobers are going to already have many of the skills that Grandma used to get through the last Depression,,,,,

JSnover
11-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Funny part is, when things go South due to the real life idiots in charge, the "nerdy" zombie goobers are going to already have many of the skills that Grandma used to get through the last Depression,,,,,
Developing the required skills takes a little more than watching a TV show every week and following that up with online role-play. My grandparents got through the Great Depression without any television at all...

btroj
11-23-2014, 08:48 PM
My Gawd people, it is a silly question but really? Is it so bad that a few decided to have a pointless yet fun discussion?

I cant beleive we are arguing over discussing zombies and the killing of same. I may need to bring some of the sheriffs over from the western quiz and put this town on lockdown.

Love Life
11-23-2014, 08:51 PM
I hate wallpaper glue and want to go back in time and fist fight the person who invented it.

btroj
11-23-2014, 08:52 PM
You hate flour and water? Harsh

Love Life
11-23-2014, 08:54 PM
I have been working on my house and wallpaper was used in the kitchen, and painted over...a couple times. Why, wallpaper was even used to cover a gap in a corner. So, yes, I do hate flour and water.

btroj
11-23-2014, 08:57 PM
Don't hate the paper, hate the person who installed it. And the idiot who painted over it.
Laudry fabric softener added to water does a great job of helping to remove the adhesive. I only know because I remove a bunch in the basement that was original to the house. I know this because the walls weren't primed or painted behind the wallpaper. Lots of drywall repair was done.

Look at a product called "Gardz", it seals residual glue and the walls and repairs. It is like water goo on and dries fast. It does a great job.

Love Life
11-23-2014, 08:59 PM
I've been using dawn and warm water in a spray bottle. It has taken it off, but they didn't prime the wall either so next up is a hot date with a tub of spackle and some sanding blocks.

btroj
11-23-2014, 09:03 PM
Fabric softener. About 10 percent in water. Spray on, wipe off. Worked great.

Good thing is, no fumes to make you feel like a zombie.....

freebullet
11-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Lol, it's even more fun when some dingleberry has painted over a couple layers of wall paper. I'd like to spit some beach nut in that dude's eye...

Sometimes it's easier to add a whole new thin sheet of drywall vs. Removing the old junk.

Love Life
11-23-2014, 09:12 PM
Oh, they did that in bad corner joint. Wall paper to span the 1/2 inch gap at the lower corner, some spackle on top, another layer of wallpaper, and several more layers of paint.

btroj
11-23-2014, 09:15 PM
Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own tools. Or homes.

Love Life
11-23-2014, 09:16 PM
I blame my wife for my current predicament. I was happy with the color in the kitchen...

freebullet
11-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Or breed.

btroj
11-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I blame my wife for my current predicament. I was happy with the color in the kitchen...

Careful there, that can lead to marital discourse. On the other hand, it does prevent pregnancy....

waynem34
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Fast zombies suck! Slow zombies suck more! Or just slower?

Janoosh
11-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Are those fast....or slow dingleberrys.?
Will I have to deal with those dingleberrys when I make the run to the pharmacy. ?
Did you have to deal with the dingleberrys when you made the beechnut run.?
Now...shouldn't dingleberrys be in their own separate forum.?
Or are they already.???

I crack myself up.!!

MaryB
11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
There is a difference between dreaming and being prepared in case society does fall apart. Civilization is fragile, lose power and we will see people kill for a can of beans.

Fantasy land, I have looked at several sites Varying from survival to homesteading or actually just living at rural life, and most all of them have been taken over by zombie or similar fantasies, to the point that the sites contain so little percentage of actual imformative info, that they are virtually useless, as far as real life scenarios.
I realized yesterday I too have been bitten by the fantasy imagination bug. I saw a cow moose, and just for a second I imagined putting a 405 grain cast bullet in her boiler room. I realize now I was in la la land because I don't have a cow permit AND didn't even have my rifle with me.
So you guys that are dreaming of having to kill your sick family members and hungry neighbors, carry on. It seems to be becoming somewhat normal. For me though I think I should be able to find other things to think about so I don't have to worry if my neighbor finds out I have a generator or not. lol I just hope everybody raises their kids in LaLa land too, so they won't feel out of place when they grow up. lol

MaryB
11-23-2014, 11:06 PM
My cure for 100 year old wallpaper and paint that was at least 9 layers I could count was tear out the plaster and lathe. Wallpaper kept it in nice big chunks I tossed out the window into the dumpster

Don't hate the paper, hate the person who installed it. And the idiot who painted over it.
Laudry fabric softener added to water does a great job of helping to remove the adhesive. I only know because I remove a bunch in the basement that was original to the house. I know this because the walls weren't primed or painted behind the wallpaper. Lots of drywall repair was done.

Look at a product called "Gardz", it seals residual glue and the walls and repairs. It is like water goo on and dries fast. It does a great job.

nemesisenforcer
11-23-2014, 11:26 PM
For a verboten topic, this sure has gotten a lot of response.

I guess I still got the gift of irritating people enough to get them talking.

Or something.

RogerDat
11-24-2014, 12:56 AM
A disaster that involves a break down in social order be it totally fictional (zombie) or hurricane (Katrina was not the first one that left large areas without services for an extended period) or even a deliberate attack on the power grid all fit the original question of what long gun and side arm would you choose if you had to pick one of each. While most of us assuming we are at home have more than "one of each" so the proposed mission provides a reason you have to pick what you will take with you. A basis for your choice.

Me I sort of favor something auto loader with a scope in say .223 for both a decent reach and rapid fire if needed with a .22 semi-auto as side arm (bull barrel Ruger would be good choice) for it's low noise (no point in attracting zombies or advertising ones location) and a lot of shots without carrying a lot of bulky ammo. Yes I know .22 does not have much stopping power but I figure zombies don't care and doubt any ordinary evil person wants to get shot with anything. You think the cannibal tribe members are going to just walk out in the open because I'm only shooting at them with a lowly, small .22 or get there butts behind the nearest cover?

You might find this of interest http://zombie.msu.edu/ it is an actual course based on the behavior of people in actual disasters. I have met the people that created the course and they really do have a solid course. They give small groups different scenarios or choices. The groups make decisions, which have consequences. The choices are then tied back to the social dynamics of both the group and that type of choice. Would you take in a stranger, what if they were injured and could not explain who they were or how they got hurt? One that might be dangerous or could have useful knowledge. What precautions would you take? How much of your own supplies would you expend to aid them?

In the real world how much of your generator fuel would you be willing to burn to help out other folks? How much of your bottled water would you share if you were in the dome after Katrina? Also as Blacksmith noted in their post back on page 4 in a real life disaster telling the good people from the bad might not be that easy. Did those fellows in the pick up truck that pulled up have crow bars and axes to rescue people or to break in and loot? I know after a tornado in the area the folks living around the damaged homes informed the fellows that showed up with just that equipment right after dark that they were parked in what was about to become the local firing range and might want to move. No one believed the "came to help" explanation.

So is it every man for themselves? Or only those that have something to offer, or that you know or are friends with? Or at least make good firearm choices for this proposed mission?

Sorry you with the muzzle loader and C&B can just stay behind. Yes I know you can find a new flint anywhere and make your own powder, don't care. You don't go!
:bigsmyl2:

In sympathy for the fellow with the wall paper, after the massive frustration of putting up wall paper in an old house built by someone with a bent square and a glob of snot on their level I was told that the only way to do that wall papering job and not have wife and I awful aggravated with each other would be to do it in the nude. Think I am getting old enough now the wife is just not so inclined to think wall papering under those conditions would be much of a treat. 500 watt work lights are NOT flattering and can't wall paper by candle light. So no more wall papering anticipated.

starmac
11-24-2014, 01:25 AM
A few years back we got a very wet late spring snow that dropped power poles by the thousands, it was going on three months before everybody got electricity back. How many days should we wait before we start shooting everybody?? I am totally amased but in our case no one died from lack of power or trying to steal it.

Blacksmith
11-24-2014, 01:31 AM
What would I pick? Irrelevant.

What matters is what would Gecko45 use.

I took a stab at answering btroj in post #74 but since we appear to be the only two in the know about Gecko45 I thought you might be interested in who he was.

Gecko45 goes back to the earlier days of the internet right after the turn of the century and although much of his story has been lost in the mists of time there exists a web shrine to his memory. So here is the story of Gecko45 be certain to read it to the end. If you are as moved as we were please send other pilgrims to the shrine so he will never be forgotten:
http://lonelymachines.org/mall-ninjas/

wallenba
11-24-2014, 01:57 AM
:popcorn:Well... somebodys writing another 'Z' movie.

Col4570
11-24-2014, 02:14 AM
Mel Brooks could have done a good job with this script.Very funny and entertaining dialogue.

Janoosh
11-24-2014, 08:50 AM
Blacksmith.....Thank You for posting that. It was hilarious. Now I know where the term originated. I needed a good laugh this Monday morning.

btroj
11-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Yep, good old Gecko45 is a riot to read about. Sad thing is, there are people who follow idiots like that.
Isnt the Internet wonderful?

Col4570
11-24-2014, 09:16 AM
I bet his knees hurt after carrying all that steel plate about to protect him whilst he Ninjas around the Shopping Mall.

Janoosh
11-24-2014, 09:35 AM
The stories of Gecko45 read like a well scripted satire. The ninja shoes so he could climb walls was a laugh.
With the advent of the internet individuals can live out their fantasys without ever leaving their house.

Ickisrulz
11-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Yep, good old Gecko45 is a riot to read about. Sad thing is, there are people who follow idiots like that.
Isnt the Internet wonderful?

But what if all he wrote is true? Maybe there is a bunch of stuff happening behind the scenes at malls. Sort of like the MIB movies.

btroj
11-24-2014, 10:09 AM
But what if all he wrote is true? Maybe there is a bunch of stuff happening behind the scenes at malls. Sort of like the MIB movies.

Maybe we can have Love Life go undercover and find out?

Blacksmith
11-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Which is why I avoid going to mall restrooms to protect my virginity.

Forgetful
11-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Which is why I avoid going to mall restrooms to protect my virginity.

Pipe clamps. He will not be leaving that glory hole until you get police!
http://www.csunitec.com/images/saws/cp1_clamp/cp1_on_pipe.jpg

btroj
11-25-2014, 10:25 AM
After the Walgreens in Ferguson was looted and burned last night this entire discussion takes ona new meaning.

A hoard of mindless zombies marched on a pharmacy, probably for booze most of all, and burned and looted the business.

starmac
11-25-2014, 10:45 AM
News flash, that was not zombies in Ferguson, or nothing new either.

Janoosh
11-25-2014, 10:53 AM
There is no doubt in my mind that the events happening in Ferguson now are the product of Agents Provocature and the Media.
And yes...mindless Zombies...

Forgetful
11-25-2014, 10:59 AM
After the Walgreens in Ferguson was looted and burned last night this entire discussion takes ona new meaning.

A hoard of mindless zombies marched on a pharmacy, probably for booze most of all, and burned and looted the business.

What, you mean they weren't interested in ANY of the reading material? Crazy.

btroj
11-25-2014, 10:59 AM
News flash, that was not zombies in Ferguson, or nothing new either.

They are mindless. They behave like a bunch of mindless zombies. They certainly are out for flesh.

Nothing new at all but it is a target rich environment.

Ickisrulz
11-25-2014, 11:26 AM
The Walking Dead has, as much as possible, moved away from the threat of zombies and is now focusing on the threats caused by human beings who will do whatever it takes to survive. This is more interesting and founded in real life.

Forgetful
11-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Humans in The Walking Dead are a much larger threat to survival, than the undead. My favorite episodes were the ones where they used the walking braindead as a weapon or distraction.. Very much like Sharpton, Jackson, et al.

Blacksmith
11-26-2014, 03:29 AM
The really mindless ones in Ferguson are the news media talking heads. They haven't got a clue and repeatedly ask the stupidest questions. For example how many times can you ask "Tell me what the vote of the grand jury was?"

It was 14 to 2!!! :kidding:

Col4570
11-26-2014, 03:31 AM
Here is the recipe for a Zombie,1Part White Rum,1Part golden Rum,1Part dark Rum,1Part Apricot Brandy,1Part Pineapple juice,1/2 part 151 Proof Rum,1Part Lime Juice.
It can be lit if required but extinguish it prior to drinking.

obssd1958
11-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Here is the recipe for a Zombie,1Part White Rum,1Part golden Rum,1Part dark Rum,1Part Apricot Brandy,1Part Pineapple juice,1/2 part 151 Proof Rum,1Part Lime Juice.
It can be lit if required but extinguish it prior to drinking.

If you leave it lit, you might have a flamin' zombie!

Edit: I don't know why, but that sure sounded a lot funnier in my head.......... :-?

Down South
11-26-2014, 07:49 PM
Lol....

Multigunner
11-27-2014, 02:57 AM
[quite]If you leave it lit, you might have a flamin' zombie![/quote]
Saw a video once where the bartender was making one of the flaming drinks and a guy at the bar was watching the girls and reached back and grabbed the wrong drink. He had gotten the glass to his lips before he realized the drink was on fire and burnt his face and spilled the flaming liquor into his beard, shirt front and lap. A lot of second degree burns.

Col4570
11-27-2014, 03:09 AM
A couple of Zombies and 1/2 dozen Jalapeno Poppers can turn a Guy into the best thing since Sliced bread when chatting the Girls up prior to passing out.

Love Life
11-28-2014, 09:52 AM
I trained Gecko45. No big deal...

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Historically there have been and still are Zombies in our world. I'm speaking of the classic Zombie , not "Living Dead" or "Walking Dead".
Though the Zombie was long believed to be a reanimated corpse they have found these are instead victims of posioning with nerve toxins that produce a deathlike state and being buried alive for some time while the toxin and horror of believing themself to be dead destroyed their free will. The after effects of the posion made them appear corpse like and the eyes would be unfocused.
These were victims chemically altered and brain washed to be slaves.
They didn't hunt people and eat their flesh.

Rage viruses are also a reality, the most recognized would be Rabies. A rage virus victim with the brain permanently damaged and little or no fore brain activity to control the animal instincts can become extremely dangerous and their bite can infect.
Don't think for a moment that biowarfare researchers haven't looked into weaponzing such viruses.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 02:01 PM
If you get a chance, watch the movie "Deadgirl" for a twist on zombie fun. Now that's a corpse I can get behind.

starmac
11-28-2014, 02:18 PM
I will just stick with walking dead, since it is based on a true story.lol

jonp
11-28-2014, 02:31 PM
I think that thought exercises such as this are good. Too many people do not think about what they might need in case of a hurricane (Katrina), power grid failure etc. Never hurts to imagine scenarios and think about what type of firearms would be useful in them.

For this scenario I'm thinking high capacity such as an AR type with several 30 round mags and a double stack 9mm also with a couple of mags. Contrary to most I might look at a High Point Carbine 9mm and Pistol as they both use the same clips so you can swap out. Not 30 round there but pretty useful.

Forgetful
11-28-2014, 02:37 PM
I think that thought exercises such as this are good. Too many people do not think about what they might need in case of a hurricane (Katrina), power grid failure etc. Never hurts to imagine scenarios and think about what type of firearms would be useful in them.

For this scenario I'm thinking high capacity such as an AR type with several 30 round mags and a double stack 9mm also with a couple of mags. Contrary to most I might look at a High Point Carbine 9mm and Pistol as they both use the same clips so you can swap out. Not 30 round there but pretty useful.

I'd rather have a SBL shotgun with a pistol grip in a holster as a sidearm, and a AR/ACR/XCR/SCAR/etc 5.56. In a zombie world, you're either trying to survive in an urban landscape (rooftop gardens) or out of the city. In the "city" 556 for sure. Outside the city, 762. Hard to beat the 5.56 STANAG reliability, though.

dtknowles
11-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Me and the Girl, don't take the Zombie/Horde scenario to seriously but we are not unprepared. We have an SKS for our battle rifle, a long mag 12 gauge Rem 870, and High Point 9mm carbine for self defense long guns. I guess if we needed a sniper rifle the Ruger M77 30-06 would have to do, I could move higher power scope to it if.....

We could belt on any number of different handguns, the Girl likes knives so I am sure she would have more than a utility folder on her person.

Tim

Multigunner
11-28-2014, 03:41 PM
Another condition that could easily be mistaken as Walking Dead would be Egotism AKA "St Anthony's Fire".
The Condition caused seizures and hallucinations, then constriction of the blood vessels that caused dry gangrene. The hands and feet began to turn black and rot.
If you saw one of these Ergot victims you might think he was a walking corpse as he stumbled along reaching out with rotting hands with finger bones showing.

Milder forms of Egot poisoning are suspected in the massacres of Jews in Germany during the Crusades. I've read the accounts of this and from the description of the perpetrators and their actions Ergot was the first thing to come to mind.
In the final battle the killers who were trying to break down a city gate suddenly began hallucinating wildly and rolling on the ground, they broke off the attack and fled screaming as if pursued by demons. As one witness put it "they fled when no man pursueth".

starmac
11-28-2014, 04:20 PM
The one thing I have concluded from this thread, is by popular opinion, my recolvers, leveractions, muzzies and even the type shotguns I own, just will not do. So it seems to me that I had better let someone else walk to the drug store. lol

dtknowles
11-28-2014, 04:53 PM
The one thing I have concluded from this thread, is by popular opinion, my recolvers, leveractions, muzzies and even the type shotguns I own, just will not do. So it seems to me that I had better let someone else walk to the drug store. lol

On that walk it will be skill and smarts that make the biggest difference not the weapons they carry. I would feel fine with revolvers and levers but I have not owned a lever in many years.

Tim

jonp
11-28-2014, 05:04 PM
On that walk it will be skill and smarts that make the biggest difference not the weapons they carry. I would feel fine with revolvers and levers but I have not owned a lever in many years.

Tim

FAAAAA! Hush your mouth, Tim

starmac
11-28-2014, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=dtknowles;3025406]On that walk it will be skill and smarts that make the biggest difference not the weapons they carry. I would feel fine with revolvers and levers but I have not owned a lever in many years.
I am telling you MY stuff will never work for this fantasy, someone else will have to take my place. lol