PDA

View Full Version : A question for collectors of gun related "stuff"

longbow
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I have a friend who is buying and selling lots of used guns largely due to our restrictive gun laws in Canada. Many people just don't want to go through the hassel of registration so are getting rid of guns and accessories.

He also picks up powder, loaded rounds etc. often at little or no cost. Amongst his latest goodies he has 2 or 3 dozen boxes of reloaded CIL Canuck paper shotgun shells, several very old powder cans - some with powder remaining and a few other things. I am willing to bet some of these powder cans are from the early part of the century and many I suspect are pre world war II.

Anyone have any idea if there is any collector value in old powder tins with good labels and all?

I know paper hulls seem to be in demand but maybe not really worth anything - again any knowledge or interest?

If the stuff isn't of value except for interest sake he is likely willing to give it away.

I told him e-Bay might be his best bet especially if there isn't much real value - a caption of "old", "rare", "antique" or "vintage" seems to boost prices lots.

If anyone here is interested or can advise on some of this I can get photos.

I would appreciate any advice or info anyone can share.

Thanks,
Longbow

trooperdan
02-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Yep, there is a lot of interest in old powder cans, paper shotgun shell boxes, etc. He is likely onto a very lucrative sideline!

JSnover
02-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Here are a few other sites your friend might be interested in;
gunbroker.com
auctionarms.com
collectorsfirearms.com

Johnch
02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
If he removes the powder

Not up on the Canadain laws or the law's for mailing to the USA
But IMO the cans should be able to be mailed , even to the USA if labled as metal tin's or metal containers

I have mailed several metal decorator containers to family in Canada

John

madcaster
02-12-2008, 01:29 AM
And another good link for posters,shell boxes,etc.,
SoldUSA.com

longbow
02-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for all the info, I will pass it on to him.

I also asked him to take a digital photo and I will post it here to see if anyone is interested. Some of these cans do appear to be very old and if nothing else they would be interesting to display.

I'll stay out of the financial end though if money is changing hands.

Longbow

w30wcf
02-12-2008, 09:20 PM
longbow,
I will send you a PM. THere is a fellow I know who lives in Brampton, Ontario who is into old powder cans in a big way. He's a super nice guy. Name and phone # in the PM.

w30wcf

218bee
02-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Go to "Wards Auctions" web site. They have 4 internet auctions a year and he can search for shotshell boxes powder tins etc... There is a auction ongoing now. Most of the stuff that is valuable is VERY old in MINT cond. but you never know. I've been a cartridge collector and 22 box collector for many years and have sold some powder tins from time to time. Just remember its only worth what someone is willing to pay. Good luck

corvette8n
02-15-2008, 03:09 PM
I was suprised how much I got for an old powder can on ebay, a friend gave it to me along with about 300 WW paper 12 ga. hulls sold those on ebay also.

longbow
02-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks for all the help. I have passed on the info to the fellow but don't know yet if he has acted on it. He is not much on computers so I may have to go over and set him up.

I did a little surfing and checked out e-Bay and was shocked not only to find that they do auction old powder tins but the prices they go for! Most any kind of tin was getting bids of $10.00 and any that looked old were more like $20.00 to $30.00!! Some even more.

This will make him happy as he is on a medical pension so any extra money helps out.

Thanks again... and hang onto those powder tins they could be worth something!

Longbow