PDA

View Full Version : More Lyman 310-Truline ??????

Muskrat Mike
02-11-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm having fun learning to use the lyman tong tool and their old Truline Jr. press. I have 44 mag dies for both. The main ? I have is about the Full Length sizing die for the TRuline Jr. What is the proper way to adjust it? If I run it down to touching the shell holder I can size the shell but only with plenty of imperial sizing wax and a lot of effort. Maybe that is normal?? I don't know or maybe I shouldn't run the die down so far? The Muzzle Resizer in the tong tool takes some effort too but it seems manageable but I'm only sizing down enough to grip the bullet with it. Thanks ahead of time. Mike:-?

floodgate
02-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Mike:

The F/L .44 Mag die is just about at the maximum capability of the little Tru-Line Jr. (I presume you have the later version with the compound linkage: a pair of straight flat link bars pinned to the elbows of two L-shaped ones; if you have the early one with the single, pair of direct, flat links, you are asking too much of it.) Unless you really need to go full length for interchangeability among several different chambers, I'd suggest just setting the die to the point you need to, to make it fit the firearm you are using them in. Imperial sizing die wax is a great help, in any case.

floodgate

Muskrat Mike
02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Thanks, I do have both presses and am using the later version. I think I will try your suggestion and I guess in effect partially resize and see if that works. Thanks again
Mike

Muskrat Mike
02-13-2008, 10:55 PM
Some of the old sets of 310 dies I've bought have a die with a loose rod. Is this to size bullets?? If so do you use in the tongs or the truline presses? and how do you use?:confused:
Thanks ahead of time !
Mike

floodgate
02-14-2008, 01:54 AM
Muskrat Mike:

There are two 310/Tru-line Jr. die sets that could match your description.

If the die is a smooth cylinder in bright steel, no threads or knurling and with the cartridge caliber stamped on it, and the rod is a loose fit in it, it is a full-length sizing die. Start a lightly lubed case, mouth first, into the larger end and drive it home with a wooden, plastic or (best) rawhide mallet, while resting the other end on a hadwood block, or squeeze the case in flush in a padded vise. Then drop the rod in, set the base end of the die over a couple of 3/4" washers or a 3/4" nut, centered to clear the case head, and drive (or press) the case back out.

If the die is blued, threaded and knurled with a diameter stamped on it ("310", "357", etc.) and the rod is a fairly close fit, with a number like "465", "311", etc. stamped on the flattened head and a shaped recess in the other, slightly reduced, end, it is a bullet sizer and can be used in either the tong tool or the press, much like the Lee sizer; the examples given above would be for a .30-caliber cast bullet from Lyman/Ideal mould #311465 or #359311, or other bullets of similar profiles (the second number, the one on the punch, is the same code as the top punches for the #1, #45, #450 and #4500 Ideal or Lyman, or the RCBS, lube-sizers; the first number is, of course, the sized diameter in thousandths).

floodgate

jrgift
02-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Bought my Truline about 1952.Still use some of the dies for seating and mostly any more for just seating primers.Not a strong enough press for resizing.

Muskrat Mike
02-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Thanks guys. I have & know what the full sizers are but this must be exactly what you said, a bullet sizer. It came with a set of dies for the 250 savage and does have .257 on the Barrel and 388 on the rod. I didn't think you would be able to size a bullet with the Truline Jr. much less the tong tool.

woody1
02-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys. I have & know what the full sizers are but this must be exactly what you said, a bullet sizer. It came with a set of dies for the 250 savage and does have .257 on the Barrel and 388 on the rod. I didn't think you would be able to size a bullet with the Truline Jr. much less the tong tool.

Yes Mike, you absolutely can size boolits with the 310 tool if they aren't tooo big or too hard. Your die is of course is for .257" and the pin is fit for the Lyman 257388 boolit. It's a gas check spitzer about 80 grains or so and according to Lyman is the standard spitzer boolit for the 250 Sav. Regards, Woody

Muskrat Mike
02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks a million! I think I might just have to try it for the heck of it.

Pavogrande
02-15-2008, 03:47 AM
MM -
any interest in disposing of the 250 savage dies?

Muskrat Mike
02-15-2008, 05:59 PM
MM -
any interest in disposing of the 250 savage dies?

Sorry, it took me too long and too much money to get them. The .250-3000 is one of my favorite guns. I have it in a Savage 99 and it's a shooter.