PDA

View Full Version : My quiet rifle got it's first harvest!

kawasakifreak77
11-18-2014, 05:09 AM
So dad & I have been back from opening week of quail season, where we were blessed with several birdies in our vests!

The only gun I brought besides my 11-87 premier was my silenced blackout boltgun.

I rolled a coyote running through a bean field around 150 meters after my first shot glanced off the brush at a much closer range.

I got a squirrel, through the neck at nearly point blank range after missing, totally on me that time as I've never practiced at rock throwing distance!

Lessons:

1. Apparently my practicing lately of walking quietly through the woods has paid off greatly.

2. I was severly dissapointed in my shooting. I thought I was better & it's a hard gut check.

3. This blackout boltgun is the best thing since miniskirts or canned beer! You can load economically anywhere from 7.62x39 levels down to .22 duty. Combine that with it's ease of suppressability & accuracy & I'm tickled pink!

4. A 165 grain flat nose at a 1000 fps has more wallop than I imagined.

5. I now understand 'aiming through the can' as when I dropped the coyote, I was aiming about a foot over his back & a couple feet infront of him since he was running like his tail was on fire!

Now there's a squirrel, two bunnies & a half dozen quails in the freezer at the folk's pad waiting until we can all sit down together & enjoy our bounty. :)

Overall we had a hoot together & even though I'm slightly appalled at my marksmanship, I can put food on the table with what's become my go-to rifle. I've been waiting two years for this!

monge
11-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Congrats sounds like a great hunt!

nagantguy
11-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Nice, great ya got to hunt with dad! Treasure that, sounds like a handy little rifle and that's the thing about bullets they never lie they only tell the truth I always think I'm a much better shot until around noon on the squirrel opener.

kawasakifreak77
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
Thanks guys!

Only picture I thought to take after all was said & done.

The load if anyone is interested:

Remington factory cases at 1.360"
7.5 primer
4.5 grains Unique
165 flat point store bought cast at .309"
1.960" OAL

Chronys a hair over 1000 fps & holes touch at 50 meters.

Now to practice more offhand at close range on itty bitty targets. More loading to do!

chuck4570
11-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Great shooting, I think you are being modest on your shooting skills. It has been always amazing how I can underestimate a small target at close range with a scope.
I wish I could try your load in my AR, but am sure it would not cycle.

Whit Spurzon
11-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Thanks for sharing the hunt.