PDA

View Full Version : New "epidemic"

silverado
11-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Is there a "stupid" epidemic going around? A week ago I was looking at holster at one of my LGSs, and asked the salesman a question about a holster. He told me I could just use my gun to check the fit of it. I told him it was loaded and he said that is fine :veryconfu. Maybe it is just me... Today at another shop I was looking at holsters and a gentleman came to help me. He asked if I had my gun and I said I did but it was loaded. He had nearly the exact same answer!!!! Am I that scared of guns that I am the only guy who doesn't want random customers pulling out loaded guns? There are a lot of STUPID people out there who play with guns... and I do mean play with!!

But maybe I am alone in this... but I go with the idea that a gun is something you don't show anyone unless you plan on using it.

SteveS
11-17-2014, 08:27 PM
Am I that scared of guns that I am the only guy who doesn't want random customers pulling out loaded guns?

I'd have to say yes.

Why would you or the store employee be carrying an empty gun? That's just weird. If you're carrying a gun, pretty much everyone expects it to be loaded.

JSnover
11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Would you be more upset if they flipped out, or were you expecting them to ask you to unload it?

silverado
11-17-2014, 08:35 PM
The guy today told me I could just remove the "clip" if I wanted to be safe.

blademasterii
11-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Pretty standard procedure in the local small shops. No big deal. Unholster, unload, mag in one pocket, live round in the other. Find the one you like, reload. Finger never touches the trigger.

silverado
11-17-2014, 08:39 PM
I guess I am just overly cautious then... like I said it stays in my pants unless I plan on using it. If holster says "glock 19/23" then I am going to assume that it fits. I am just looking for a owb leather made in usa holster. It will be used for idpa style matches/ccw so I want enough cant to it and feels like quality. I was looking at bianchi holsters but made in mexico :(

PS Paul
11-17-2014, 08:42 PM
Yep. Used to let guys do it all the time. I felt we had less to worry about than having a guy unload and unchamber a round before holstering. Besides, presuming every gun is loaded is how we treat 'em anyways, right?

jcwit
11-17-2014, 08:48 PM
The guy today told me I could just remove the "clip" if I wanted to be safe.

So he called a "magazine" a "clip", but I bet you knew what he was referring to. right?

silverado
11-17-2014, 08:50 PM
So he called a "magazine" a "clip", but I bet you knew what he was referring to. right?
He did not account for the chambered round is what bothered me. This was at bass pro shops by the way. I guess I will concede since it appears to be a lot more common than I previously thought.

starmac
11-17-2014, 10:06 PM
Not sure how else they would go about it, Like Paul says it is safer then haveing everybody and their dog unloading and unchambering a round.

MaryB
11-17-2014, 10:51 PM
My LGS will allow some of us to handle loaded guns in the store. The local mall ninjas get told to leave them in the car after one shot a hole in the roof. My gun guy has handed me his loaded pistol to check it out, told me to take it outside and shoot a magazine to try it out on his gun range. He knows who handles guns safely and who doesn't.