PDA

View Full Version : Who's from Wyoming?

Quiettime
11-17-2014, 02:13 PM
So I'm a life-long FLA native. I'm getting tired of lame jobs and overpopulation.

I've done some research already and find that, in addition to being the least populous US state, there are some good jobs to be had in industry, no state income tax as well as some neat things of interest like, hello, The Cody Museum, Yellowstone, etc

I do read prescription drug abuse and other illegal drug activity is on the rise.

I'm not afraid of the cold. Contrary to popular belief FLA winters are pretty nasty, just not as long and it doesn't snow.

I do love the swamp though, I even built my own airboat that I've had for about 8 years. I don't know if there's anywhere to run it up there, shallow water is best for them

Anybody have any helpful info?

runfiverun
11-17-2014, 03:11 PM
forget the swamps you need water for those.
Wyoming is a high desert, everything there is named Butte or Desert for a reason.
depending on which corner of the state you are thinking about going to the job market will fluctuate, as will the snow fall and wind speed.
anyway what you see in the pictures of yellow-stone is not what you get when you get there.
think john ford type scenery with cold winter temperatures.

starmac
11-17-2014, 03:41 PM
Well being from Florida and used to hurricanes, you know a little about wind. They call that a gentle breeze in Wyoming. lol
I don't think you would get a lot of use out of your Airboat in Wyoming, you would be better off to keep driving and come on up to Alaska.

John in WYO
11-17-2014, 06:42 PM
I even built my own airboat that I've had for about 8 years. I don't know if there's anywhere to run it up there, shallow water is best...

I had to chuckle when I read this. I was in Gillette a couple of weeks ago and actually laid eyes on an airboat in a yard south of the airport.
Apparently someone else up here thinks like you.

You can (maybe) probably run one on a frozen lake...they used to have some races on frozen lakes near Jackson.

troyboy
11-17-2014, 07:21 PM
Spent a year in Jeffrey City and make regular trips to Gillette. Worst place I've ever lived.

bangerjim
11-17-2014, 07:42 PM
Spent a decade in WY one year...........!

WYOMING comes from the old Indian words WY for mud and OMING for even more mud!

Cold, snow, wind, snow, frigid, snow..........a whole lot different than you are used to!!!!!!!

We had to drive 80 miles just to take the kids to McDonnalds.

Did I mention the cold and snow? And mud?

You have never lived thru a REAL winter in FL like you will have almost 6+ months of the year in WY. 14" of snow overnight and -6F without windchill on Memorial day back when we moved out to AZ!

Yes Yellowstone is there, and it is beautiiful, but that's about all iWY has going for it. And Jackson Hole and the Teutons. Unless you are into oil production, not much industry. Well...mabe snow removal!

Lots and LOTS of flat land for snow to blow over and drift over roads.

If you want to see Yellowstone, go there on vacation and spend a week......IN THE SUMMER.

Personally I would take FL over WY in a heartbeat.

I don't know your age, but I was 32 when living there and thought I would die from the cold and snow removal work.

Just like here in AZ, shoveling sunshine in FL is a breeze! I shoveled and blew enough snow there for a lifetime! And no, 4WD will NOT solve the problem. I had one! When you bottom out on a 4+ foot drift over the road you could not see for the white-out and your 4WD wheels are NOT even touching the ground.......well you get the picture. We always traveled with extreme cold weather survival kits....pretty much year round.

Good luck on your choices. There are good reasons why it is the least populated state.

banger

Doughty
11-17-2014, 08:38 PM
bangerjim,
I think you got some bad information. Wyoming was named after that famous Chinese cowboy, "Wyo Ming".

starmac
11-17-2014, 08:52 PM
I take it badgerjim doesn't care wor wyoming. lol
Just goes to show the difference in people as I would live in Wyoming, but never again consider Fl. lol I actually did consider Fl once, just took the travel trailer for a couple months, to cure that itch forever.

DHurtig
11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
I'm just across the border in Western South Dakota. What we share is lots of blue sky and wide open spaces. If you fish, there is world class fly fishing for trout and walleyes and pan fish in the reservoirs. There are white tails, mulies, antelope galore, elk and moose. If you hunt predators, there are coyotes,fox, bobcats and mountain lions. There is lots and lots of public land to do as you please. Do a search and look into the towns of Cheyenne, Casper, Gillette and Sundance. Those who talk about how bad it is here just aren't tough enough to make it.

400short
11-17-2014, 09:55 PM
Yah, it's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. We like to say that the weather keeps the riff-raff out.

longranger
11-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Born in CO raised in MT did my fire service career in CA. I have done well enough to live where I want. My Father would drive 6 kids across and anywhere in the U.S. of A. during summer vacations. I have spent significant time in MD,NC/SC. I would not trade my life here in Buffalo WY for anywhere there may be to live.Indeed their is a reason that we are the 5th largest state with the lowest population,elevation higher than the population where I live.Might be the best state government in the country,certainly local gov. non invasive,conservative,most laws a few pages long and few.I am minutes from the Big Horn mountains a few hrs. from Cody,Jackson Hole,Yellowstone, and Ft.Collins CO. Break you heart canyons and a spring time prairie that makes you thank God to be alive with the arrival of the new grass,Antelope,Mule Deer ,Whitetail,Elk,Moose,Sheep,Goat fawns,calves and kids in the high country..No graffiti,no hats turned backwards,pants down around their knees,ranch and farm kids,respectful.No state tax, 4.5% sales tax,cheap energy.More hunting opportunities than you could do in a life time,finest fly fishing anywhere in the west.And some of the kindest most decent people you will ever know.

dk17hmr
11-17-2014, 10:16 PM
I'm not from Wyoming but have been here for 5 years now and will tell you this is home. I grew up in mid Michigan and have no interest in going back or leaving. My brother lives in Jacksonville FL, my wife and I spent a week down there in February which if I'm not mistaken is winter......I wore shorts and tee shirts the whole time.

The winters don't bother me, after about -10 its all the same amount of cold, the wind is what will make or break the day. One of the biggest things we noticed from come from back east is the people. The people here (generally) make life great. They will stop and help you if you need help and stay out of your business if you stay out of theirs.

Yellowstone isn't really part of Wyoming. Technically it is part but its not Wyoming. I work for the D.O.T paving Wyoming roads and I can tell you that you cant see Wyoming from a paved road.

I live in a town of about 25k, it takes me 4 minutes to get from my house to drop my son off at daycare and 6 minutes from there to get to work....there is something to be said for that.

CLAYPOOL
11-17-2014, 10:58 PM
I was in South Dakota in 1998 when it set the record (# 2) for snow fall in MAY. We put on all the heavy clothes we had brought and others. We were a hit at breakfast at the restaurant all over again. It was ALL in good natured teasing thought. Very good people in KAODOKA . Went back in 2000 for 2 weeks. Good times. Still trying to get back...

starmac
11-17-2014, 11:00 PM
Longranger, I have only been through it a couple of times in a truck, but the drive between worland and buffalo is passing through some of the prettiest country in the country, bar none. I used to like to cross 14 up north too.

Ten sleep canyon is plain beautiful.

doc1876
11-17-2014, 11:10 PM
I was born there. I love it there, I, however can't go back. (not true). I go back each year for the summer week, yes I said week. Several years ago, my kids were playing in 3 ft of snow on July 18th. That following winter, my cousin called and wanted to know when we were coming out for a visit, as they were having a heat wave, it was up to 23 below.....ah yes, I love my home state, the state bird is the mosquito, the gentle breezes have moved the state about 300 miles west from where it was ten years ago, and there is endless land.
My sweetie wanted to see an area where there were no people, so I took her out to the Green river ranges, she indicated that there were no trees. I told her there were at least 5 because they were on the map (have you ever seen the tree east of Cheyenne that they built the road AROUND because of the great shortage of them?) She said "there is no trees to hide behind". She is Cherokee. I told her "you don't need to hide, as you can see them coming, she said she needed a place to hide, and again I told her" you can see them coming, that is what the Sharps if for" these were some of my fondest times.
I still live in Illinois and Missouri.

runfiverun
11-17-2014, 11:16 PM
ten sleep canyon is a super nice [although too short] drive.
there are some nice streams scattered around the state if you fly-fish and wanna drive that far.
Casper has a couple of lakes close by [and a nice stream to fish], as does Cody but it's a tourist type town.

I know what state it say's under my name, but I have spent more time in Wyoming than Idaho in the last 10 years.
Banger Jim isn't kidding about the mud, Wyoming is the only place I have ever stood in 6 inches of red mud when it's negative 20 and watched the wind blow past at 20 MPH.
it's hard to explain the state, you either love it or hate it there [I am torn between the two]

there's a reason I live here instead of there.

MtGun44
11-17-2014, 11:42 PM
"Florida winters are pretty nasty." LOL! Florida winters are like September in the foothills
in Wyoming. I have been hiking and hunting in Wyoming almost every year since 1973 and
lived many years in Florida, still have relatives, will be going for turkey day soon.

If you really believe that about Florida winters (I am from north central Florida, where the effect
of water moderation is minimum and within an hour of Ga border,about as cold as it gets in Fla)
you are in for a real surprise.

Bill

wlc
11-18-2014, 12:06 AM
Longranger, you live in some beautiful country. Been over 20 years now, but I got the opportunity to hunt out of Buffalo for speed goat and mulies. We hunted antelope just north of town somewhere up past Lake Desimit(sp) and hunted mulies on the powder river at IIRC Ken Ritz's ranch (UTranch?) I really liked it out there and would love to get to hunt out there again sometime.

shtur
11-18-2014, 12:18 AM
Wyoming is the second state to have the most land-locked public land, MT is the first. MT has 2 million acres of public land that is land locked - public land surrounded by private land that is unaccessible to those not owning land surrounding the 2 million acres of public land.

MaryB
11-18-2014, 12:31 AM
Time for a small ultralight and fly in :bigsmyl2:

longranger
11-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Both MT and WY have access to 100's of thousands of acres of that private land through Block Management programs with some fantastic opportunities to get to those "land locked acres".

reloader28
11-18-2014, 01:06 AM
The wind does blow a little. We get 25-40mph most of the time, 60-70mph quite often. The hardest I've clocked at my house is 135mph.
Because of that, we dont have as much problem with mud, just flying rocks. They hurt. I've seen it blow several semi trucks over and tear apart weather towers.

You may get cold in Fl, but I bet you dont get 10-15 below with a 30mph wind. Thats cold no matter how many clothes you have on. I think the lowest we had last year was -33.
We've been sitting at between minus10-19 below for the last week and a half, but only had the wind three times I think. The new heat reclaimer in the stove is working awesome. Not much fun filling the rest of our deer tags though. If I remember right, last year they cancelled the Cody Christmas parade because of the cold. Its warming up, now its right at 0*

The heat probly wont bother you though. Last summer I think we rarely got over a 100*, but normal summer temps can go 110+. But its dry here. Annual rainfall is about 7". Last year it was 10-11 and it was very green. The snow puts moisture in the mountains, but blows away before it melts most other places.

But you will see senery like in my avatar. Thats not far from me.

doc1876
11-18-2014, 01:33 AM

doc1876
11-18-2014, 01:49 AM
ok, so I will post something beautiful......Schwabacher Sunset

starmac
11-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Looks like swift and US Express led the other two on their laydown strike. lol

longranger
11-18-2014, 09:13 AM
On I-80 between Sparks NV and Reno they close the interstate to all high profile vehicles during any constant wind over 45-50 mph.WY is on their way to doing just that on I-80.I-25 has iron gates they close when it is determined not to send out their EMS and LEO's in to a situation you have no business putting yourself in.They will shut down roads as soon as or before they become dangerous.There is lots of pressure put on local Gov. to keep I-80 open(commerce happening) and mostly state resources are used instead of the Fed's. it's their interstate.We have 3 interstates in the 5th largest state.I-25,I-80,I-90.In CA it is only high wind and extreme snowfall will close it.They run 20 snow plows both directions and keep that sucker open until they can't or it improves.WY does no such thing,they close the road and wait until improves then clean it up.

doc1876
11-18-2014, 10:12 AM
when I was young, and lived in Rocks Springs, they would daily haul in trucks that had been lifted off of the road, and slammed into the side of the mountains.

bangerjim
11-18-2014, 03:04 PM

MT Gianni
11-18-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't mind Wyoming but don't care for the lack of water. Not many places to fish, arid air seems to me that I am always thirsty, They have a shorter warmer winter than where I am in MT, but that is not enough to make me move. I believe I could make more $$ in the patch as I work in gas measurement but am happy where I am.

waksupi
11-18-2014, 06:02 PM
I don't mind Wyoming but don't care for the lack of water. Not many places to fish, arid air seems to me that I am always thirsty, They have a shorter warmer winter than where I am in MT, but that is not enough to make me move. I believe I could make more $$ in the patch as I work in gas measurement but am happy where I am.

Good point there. A friend of mine bought 40 acres many years ago, not far from Jackson Hole. He had good water once he drilled a well. It turned out the developer who sold it to him found out there was no more water ANYWHERE on over 100,000 acres surrounding him. The dealer tried everything he could to get Sam's water rights, and tried to get him foreclosed, even though he was current on payments. Another friend went to his bank, paid off the remainder in cash and gave Sam an excellent interest rate to pay it back.
In the west, whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting over.

cbrick
11-18-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm not afraid of the cold. Contrary to popular belief FLA winters are pretty nasty, just not as long and it doesn't snow.

Anybody have any helpful info?

Yes, go on a two or three week vacation in January & then decide what you would like to do. The difference in your nasty FL winter and winter will be shocking to you. Then consider the weather your experiencing in January is for several months every year. That will be enough to teach you that FL has no winter. :mrgreen:

I had property in Montana and one of the things I really liked about it was the population of the entire state was less than 1/10 of the city I was living in, I can understand that part of your post. I sold that property in the mid 90's when I got sick & didn't think I'd ever get back up there. That was truly sad, I would have retired there instead of Arkansas where I'm at now. I put the dog out this morning at 13 degrees in mid November, dog asked me if we could move to FL. Told her no, I can't live there because I know how to fill out a ballot. [smilie=1:

Rick

starmac
11-18-2014, 06:47 PM
There is no comparison to Florida and Wyoming winters, and that is fact. But I have been colder in Florida, Texas,lowsiana, etc than I ever have in Alaska too.
It is hard to explain, but I can sleep in my truck here at zero, where I can't in Florida at 30 above, same truck, same bag, figure that one out.
I can also run around in the same cloths at 0 here as above freezing in FL. It is hard to explain, but it is what it is.

bangerjim
11-18-2014, 07:24 PM
starmac.......it's called humidity. Cold and dry is a whole lot better off than cold and wet!

banger

starmac
11-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I know that humidity is the culprit BUT on the high plains I lived on in New Mexico we were low humidity too, and I would freeze there at temps that are down right comfortable. My arthritus would bother me there where it doesn't here also. Humidity is definately a huge part of it, but not all of it.

bangerjim
11-18-2014, 08:53 PM
The other part (at least for me) is AGE!!!!!!!!!! [smilie=s:

banger

Quiettime
11-18-2014, 10:18 PM
It is hard to explain, but it is what it is.

Some people don't get it LOL. Alaska sounds awesome too.

Quiettime
11-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Apparently someone else up here thinks like you.

Sobering thought!

Quiettime
11-18-2014, 10:26 PM
..Might be the best state government in the country,certainly local gov. non invasive,conservative,most laws a few pages long and few....No graffiti,no hats turned backwards,pants down around their knees...And some of the kindest most decent people you will ever know.

Definite pluses

Quiettime
11-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Thanks everybody for your replies. It means a lot.

No idea what I will do at this point. It becomes increasingly clear, almost daily, that my home is no longer home. That is one of the most empty heartaches I can imagine.

Again, thank you all for your input.

C

cbrick
11-18-2014, 10:34 PM
Some people don't get it LOL. Alaska sounds awesome too.

No doubt some don't. On the other hand some do. :mrgreen: For someone that thinks FL has tough winters I think the advice to find out what your in for is good advice before you pack up and move.

For me I've spent many winters with 3-4 feet of snow and 0 to -20 temps. That wouldn't be the problem for me. As was mentioned already, being tree challenged would make it tough for me. Every place I looked to retire from the Pacific Northwest & western MT & here all were forested. For someone from FL with the vegetation and mild winters I do suggest checking it out. First.

Rick

Quiettime
11-18-2014, 10:52 PM
I read what you said the first time. Unfortunately, pretty much anywhere with a mild clime for much of the year is full or filling up with people I find myself less and less able to suffer.

When the union workers retire from Colt, where do you think they move to and bitch about the weather?

TXGunNut
11-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Cody Museum. Irma Hotel. Awesome vistas. But ya'll can keep those Wyoming winters. Bad enough here on my spot on the prairie sometimes.

starmac
11-19-2014, 01:19 AM
yea, but I can put on clothes that keeps me toasty warm in the winter, I could run around nekkid down south and still be sweatin my hind end off.

waksupi
11-19-2014, 01:59 AM
As much as I hate causing more influx to Montana, I would say to look at Troy, and Thompson Falls, Montana. Comparatively mild winters, compared to Wyoming, or most of Montana.

square butte
11-19-2014, 08:49 AM
Well - You could just send him up the Yaak or over to Libbya - Not sure how to make my post "purple"

onceabull
11-19-2014, 12:03 PM
Move to Clark Fork,Idaho..just as temperate as Thompson Falls,and You will never have to worry about Waksupi speeding through town.... [smilie=s: Onceabull

Cornbread
11-19-2014, 10:01 PM
As much as I hate causing more influx to Montana, I would say to look at Troy, and Thompson Falls, Montana. Comparatively mild winters, compared to Wyoming, or most of Montana.

Shush! We have enough out of staters up here as it is :) Plus we get a ton of Idaho residents hunting and fishing on our side too. Mostly fishing but still when I pull up to the boat launch and there are 50 trucks and not a one is from this county it gets old real quick.

As for the winters being milder that is only within 10 miles of the river. It has its own micro climate. You get more than that away from the Clark Fork and it's just as cold as it is in Kalispell or colder depending on where you are altitude wise. Lots of snow. I live outside the micro climate by a ways. Last year by March they had 6" of snow in T-Falls. I had over 6' here at my place.

Cornbread
11-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Two reasons I would NEVER live in Wyoming are the two "W"s. Wind and water.

I hate wind and it blows like nothing I have ever seen in Wyoming. Think hurricane level winds on a clear day when it's -10. No thank you! I have to go down there for work fairly often. The wind down there is NUTS!

Water. Wyoming has the most jacked up set of laws concerning water you will ever deal with. From accessing it to fish to trying to leave it once you are fishing, it is nothing short of retarded. A lot of places once you put in on a river until you get to the pull out you can't even step on a bank to take a leak. Not joking and the land owners are dead serious about enforcing it. That coupled with a lack of water everywhere else just makes living there the pits if you like to fish.

The pros are the hunting and the people. Great people live there, when you can hear them over the wind they are down right great folks. The hunting is really good for antelope, elk, and deer.

bnelson06
11-20-2014, 12:09 AM
Are we seriously comparing Florida winters to Wyoming winters :lol:

Really, I'm confused, who is confusing these two states winter months........

doc1876
11-20-2014, 12:16 AM
this is a BYOB party. No sensible arguments allowed. Drinking is a Wyoming way of life.