PDA

View Full Version : First Cast Deer-Opening Day

Boyscout
11-16-2014, 10:37 PM
I cast bullets for different rifles to hunt with: A Remington 740 Woodmaster in 35 Remington and an H&R Handi-rifle in 44 Remington Magunum. I chose the 35 Remington since it was a rifle my father had that could not be used in Indiana until the rule change since he didn't handload and couldn't modify the case to comply.

I blew my first opportunity early at 07:30 when a large doe came crashing through the heavy brush and offered me my first shot at 20 yards which I some how missed. I may have been startled by the buck that came crashing in a split second later grunting like a pig. Both stood still after the shot but quickly left as soon as I tried to chamber another round. The buck didn't missed a beat and ran off grunting at the doe even louder.

At 09:00, I heard noise coming from below the edge of the bench I was watching and soon another buck offered me a 35 yard broadside which I took. He ran about 20 yards and went down but he didn't appear to be in any hurry to pass. I watched him for twenty minutes as he kept his head up alert. I didn't have any shot so I waited. He then stood up and I decided to take a follow up shot even though there was some brush in the way. He acted like nothing had happened. I then loaded another shot by hand and chambered it. He didn't move on that either. A few seconds later he limped forward about two steps and I got my shot. He kicked up his back legs and bolted back over the ledge. I wasn't too happy about that as it was a very steep hill.

Soon a small beech tree started shaking for about 10 seconds and all went quiet. I sat in my stand and waited 30 minutes and came down after my son joined me. I reloaded and we quietly looked for first blood which was kind of unecessary since I knew exactly where the beech tree was. When we peeked over the edge, we saw that he was piled up against the beech and quite dead. He ran a totally of 20 yards after the third shot. It appears my first shot had deflected and caused a leg wound to his opposite front leg. The second must have caught a branch. The third entered high and hit one lung and the heart. There was no exit and I hope to find my bullet tomorrow when I skin him out. Even with only one hole, the blood trail was very heavy after only 10 yards.

My load was 23 grains Accurate 5744, WLR primer, RCBS 200 gn RFN Air cooled COWW with 2% tin, and 35 Remington cases trimmed to 1.795" crimped with a custom Lee FCD.

Huntsman
11-17-2014, 12:30 AM
Congrats!! Looks like it all worked out in the end for ya. Nice to see you're still using "open sights" on your Remington, Keep them eyes working strong ;)
Enjoy your meat!

35 shooter
11-17-2014, 12:36 AM
Sounds like one action packed hunt. Nice buck.

pworley1
11-17-2014, 01:00 AM
Congratulations!

Boyscout
11-17-2014, 09:38 AM
The rear sight is a Lyman Aperature sight. I had to replace the front sight so I had a fiber optic one put on the front. I may replace it as it is much too large for my preference. Some of my favorite spots to hunt are pretty thick and any scope over 2x is over kill and has cost me several opportunities over the years. My longest shot on a deer (41 now) has been 70 yards.

The rifle is the same as it was when my Grandfater gave it to my Dad. I have feeding problems with it and it doesn't always lock up. And unlike a bolt action, it is difficult to feed single rounds either at the bench or in the field. Should Indiana allow high-power rifles soon, I will go back to the standard cartridge length.

rosewood
11-17-2014, 09:46 AM
The rear sight is a Lyman Aperature sight. I had to replace the front sight so I had a fiber optic one put on the front. I may replace it as it is much too large for my preference. Some of my favorite spots to hunt are pretty thick and any scope over 2x is over kill and has cost me several opportunities over the years. My longest shot on a deer (41 now) has been 70 yards.

The rifle is the same as it was when my Grandfater gave it to my Dad. I have feeding problems with it and it doesn't always lock up. And unlike a bolt action, it is difficult to feed single rounds either at the bench or in the field. Should Indiana allow high-power rifles soon, I will go back to the standard cartridge length.

Sounds like a little gunsmithing needs to be done on it. Would be safer and easier to use if you get it working correctly. Just because it wasn't working well for them doesn't mean you can't get it working correctly.

Yodogsandman
11-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Nice buck! Congrats!

The feed problem can't be fixed easily, it's probably from wear and chattering on the bolt slide/carry rails of the receiver. The receiver would need to be replaced and they're hard to find in good, usable condition. The same problem exists with the Remington 742, also. It's a common problem, a one shot semi-automatic. The Remington 7400 has harder rails and remedied this problem.

GooseGestapo
11-17-2014, 02:57 PM
Look closer, it's a pump, not a semi auto.
I had one, nice accurate rifle. My forend rattled badly and caused me to scare off several deer. I traded the rifle. Now have a Marlin 336C. Just as accurate, and can "almost" handle the loads the 760 could.

I'd suggest trying this.... remove the decapping stem from your sizer die and grind off approx 0.10" and replace the sizer die decapper stem. Then, with the current setting, turn the die in 1/4 turn at a time sizing the cases more until the bolt locks easily. I had to do that with mine as an aquaintance's T/C Contender wouldn't lock up due to tight chamber. Likewise, my .35Marlin would require this as even with ground down die, will just barely lock up with resized brass.

Marble's makes a smaller front bead. I have this on my Marlin as well as several other rifles.
Here it is:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1828657571/marbles-front-sight-500-height-340-width-steel-blue-3-32-fiber-optic?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Williams claims a 3/32" bead but mine run to 1/8". The marbles are only 0.70-0.72".

However, most of my rifles that wear the fire-sights also have scopes. Typically a 2x-7x or similar. The low power helps especially with finding a "hole" through the brush to shoot thru. Also extends shooting light to legal time.

p.s. I'll be hunting behind the house this evening with same boolit over 34.5gr H4895 !!! Hope to take some venision with it!
take away the mustache and we'd look like twins !!! Took a buck that looked just like yours four weeks ago with the .257Roberts and 100gr Sierra out the kitchen window. My "woods" look just like yours too.

Boyscout
11-17-2014, 05:45 PM
I will run some jacketed through it just to make sure everything is working correctly. If that all checks out, I'll start focus on the cast loads. I have alread taken the shell holder up to the die, lowered the ram and then gave it an additional 1/4 turn for a full re-size.

I have also noticed that I can not chamber a round "quietly" like I can with my Remington 870 when hunting with slugs. The action needs to be worked firmly.

Skinned the deer out and found the exit wound in the lower part of the opposite,upper leg; it did not bleed and the exit wound appeared to be about .50" so I got some expansion.

btroj
11-17-2014, 06:05 PM
Well done. You do realize you won't ever shoot a deer with jacketed bullets again?

Nice deer, where is the snow?

Boyscout
11-17-2014, 08:38 PM
I had a slight dusting on the ground on Friday when I bowhunted. It was mostly gone by Opening Day of gun. We now have about 2" on the ground and it is bitterly cold.

As for hunting with jacketed bullets, I never have. This is the first time I have ever hunted with a rifle. My Marlin XL7 30-06 loves the the Lee C309-170F but we have a 1.80 cartridge length max and .357 diameter minimum to be legal. That may change.

Before the modified .35 Remington/44 Rem Mag all I had hunted with was 12 Gauge lead slugs and my 50 Cal Muzzleloader.

Firebricker
11-18-2014, 10:01 PM
Congratulations! Ohio has a version of your law now so I will be using a .444 Marlin. I hoping for my first deer with my own boolit. I had two moulds made going out this week to see which one goes. FB

Boyscout
11-19-2014, 03:55 AM
Good luck, it's pretty satisfying. Working up the loads and casting all become part of the tradition. People ask me why I go to all the trouble and I tell them, "When you eat a piece of meat from the store your just eating a piece of meat. When I sit down to dinner, I am having meat with memories."

rosewood
11-19-2014, 08:21 AM
Good luck, it's pretty satisfying. Working up the loads and casting all become part of the tradition. People ask me why I go to all the trouble and I tell them, "When you eat a piece of meat from the store your just eating a piece of meat. When I sit down to dinner, I am having meat with memories."

Here here.

And it is "organic" for those who think that is the way to go. At least that is my argument for those against me hunting. :)

Also a certain bit of satisfaction harvesting game with something you fashioned from recycling old wheel weights and loaded up yourself.