PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 77/44 NOE .432 265gr. RD, just in time!

ballistim
11-16-2014, 02:21 PM
I'm thankful to have the benefit of the wealth of knowledge here as always, and will explain on this particular topic. Many have talked about the new deer hunting regulation changes in southern MI to include centerfire rifles with straight wall cartridge length no longer than 1.80".
Original plans for me included a shortened 45/70 and I followed a nice thread here on it, but ran into a snag on crimping the shorter cartridge. While driving past my local gun shop last Saturday their sign said they had .44 mag rifles back in stock, so I used my accumulated overtime $ & walked out with a new 77/44 in camo/stainless. Several great threads here on it educated me how to proceed so I bought the mold in the post title from Swede, dies/.431 sizer from Midway, gator gas checks from Blammer, and Starline brass online also. Barrel slugged at .429 (yay!), all components arrived within days, and my loads using surplus WC297 were tested and ready for opening day. I didn't have time to measure groups, but accuracy is more than acceptable for the blind I'll be hunting from with visibility limited to approx. 50 yds. Thanks to all for helping me make the almost impossible happen in such a short amount of time! I'll report back with a more detailed range report when time allows, and hopefully with photos of a nice deer taken as well. Please share your cast bullet experiences with this model that would be of interest & of use as I love this gun so far.

runfiverun
11-16-2014, 02:40 PM
all that to avoid having a die shortened..

nicholst55
11-16-2014, 02:41 PM
It's great when a plan comes together! Let us know how your hunt turns out! My Win M94 carbine in .44 Mag has a .432" groove diameter, which I found kind of discouraging at first. I'd say you lucked out with your Ruger.

ballistim
11-16-2014, 02:42 PM
Still looking at that but am not a machinist like many of you and tried but couldn't find one in my area yet, will keep trying. I'm not the expert you are at such things.

ballistim
11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
It's great when a plan comes together! Let us know how your hunt turns out! My Win M94 carbine in .44 Mag has a .432" groove diameter, which I found kind of discouraging at first. I'd say you lucked out with your Ruger.

I'd read that a lot of the earlier 77's had oversize bores too, definitely lucked out!

44man
11-16-2014, 03:09 PM
I have the original RD 265, amazing boolit. My lube of choice on it is Felix.
I am sure you will have some deer pictures soon for us.

ballistim
11-16-2014, 03:37 PM
I have the original RD 265, amazing boolit. My lube of choice on it is Felix.
I am sure you will have some deer pictures soon for us.

I like this boolit, seated to the crimp groove it fits the rotary mag perfectly as others mentioned in threads. Very easy to cast using the NOE mold after prepping with oven break-in & warmed up on hot plate , started casting perfect boolits almost immediately. I used BAC lube and warmed up in my Lyman sizer in the colder weather it worked perfectly. I've read about the Felix lube but haven't tried it yet.

Blammer
11-16-2014, 03:39 PM
that 265 RD should put the smack on the deer for sure. I know the HP version is very cool and explodes water jugs nicely.

44man
11-16-2014, 03:48 PM
BAC will work as well as CR, LBT soft blue will work. Glen makes good lubes so about anything he makes will work but I hate Alox by itself. Felix DOES work and is not that hard to make.

ballistim
11-23-2014, 10:36 AM
that 265 RD should put the smack on the deer for sure. I know the HP version is very cool and explodes water jugs nicely.

BTW thanks for getting those gas checks sent out so quickly, they fit perfectly. I plan on buying my checks from you in the future.
No deer yet, only seen does so far & holding out for a buck until later in the season. I bought the RD mold because of one of your older posts, and am glad I did!

Blammer
11-23-2014, 01:10 PM
You're welcome.

Yes, the RD mould made by NOE is "THE CAT'S ME-WOW!"