PDA

View Full Version : Is Winchester bulk .22LR ammo Garbage,,, or is it just me?

W.R.Buchanan
11-15-2014, 05:23 PM
I had a very negative experience with Winchester 333 bulk ammo today and it is something I have never experienced before in my life.

I don't know if any of you have noticed the declining quality of Rimfire ammo over the last 3-4 years? But I certainly have..

Like most of us here I have fired literally 10's of thousands of rounds of .22 LR ammo over my lifetime. Prior to the last few years I could have counted on one hand the number of misfires I have had in my entire life! Now it is an occurrence everytime I shoot and sometimes it is every 8-10 rounds!

Mis-fires, fails to fire, hang fires. Cases so soft they have to be ejected with a cleaning rod, Rounds that won't even go into the chamber?

[SIZE=6]***!!![SIZE=5]

I am pretty disgusted right now.

I ran a whole box of Federal cheap stuff thru my M2 this morning at my monthly Silhouette Shoot. no issues!.

I opened a box of Winchester 333 bulk HP's that were all I had with me. First round fail to fire, fires on second hit, and then won't extract. Had to be removed with a cleaning rod. Second shot Fails to chamber, third shot hang fire about 2 seconds. 4th shot fails to chamber all the way and had to be knocked out with a cleaning round and you know I loved doing that to a live round. 5th shot fires fine and I hit a chicken, 6th shot fails to fire,,, I'M done!.

This is not a Gun problem and it damn sure it ain't a ME problem!

I thought SAAMI specs require factory ammo to function in any gun chambered for it. The rounds that wouldn't chamber in my M2, which admittedly has a tight chamber, also wouldn't chamber in an 85 year old Remington single shot rifle which certainly doesn't have a match chamber.

This stuff was pure garbage, and defiantly the worst ammunition of any kind I have fired in my entire life.

As I said earlier on I have noticed a decline in the quality in just the last few years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I wonder what they are thinking dropping QC standards to this level?

Randy

aspangler
11-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Bet it was white box Winchester. I have had trouble with 3 different pistols and 4 rifles with that stuff. You are right it is JUNK. Check to see where it was manufactured. Bet it was in Indonesia. Maybe China. I have seen some from there. Bottom line... Money not quality.

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 05:35 PM
3-4 years? Rimfire has been junk longer than that. Golden Bullets come to mind. They are consistent garbage. I gladly pay the premium for Winchester M22. Not the most accurate. But it's the only type that will cycle all my semis. I've found the Winchester 333 packs to be better than Golden Bullets but still bulk garbage.

pretzelxx
11-15-2014, 05:37 PM
I see a lot of failure to fire rounds on the ground at the range. I pull the bullet and soak them and toss them on the 22 case pile for a swager

glockky
11-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I have found the best use for the 333rd boxes of winchester is in my glenfield model 10 and ruger single six. My 10/22 and 22/45 will not feed them. The bullet actually bends the brass when it hits the feed ramp.

I know 22 ammo is hard to find but I try my best to only buy federal when buying bulk 22's.

Tatume
11-15-2014, 05:39 PM
There is definitely some garbage rimfire ammo out there. At one time I was shooting a lot of revolver ammo and decided to save on practice ammo by buying "promotional" packages. They were 550 rounds per box, and I tried Winchester and Federal. Both leaded like crazy! They were bare lead bullets with no lube of any kind.

backhoe
11-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I feel your pain man. I havemost of a 333 rd. box that I just shoved to the back of the shelf,for what I don't know. Bad part they are all that way.The factory is just 30 mile down the road from me and I have "connections", makes no difference. I have two ruger single sixes and have to force load them and eject,It is just pitiful.

bruce drake
11-15-2014, 05:49 PM
This thread sound like a great candidate to be moved to the Rimfire section of the forum.

Now, on this I will agree on bulk box purchases. I'm of the opinion that Bulk box rimfire ammunition is made up of lots which do not make the Winchester, Remington or Federal accuracy criteria for their first-line materials. Thus bulk box in my opinion are Seconds or Blemished at best. AND I hate the cost of premium rimfire ammunition because I can't feasibly reload it but I still only shoot the better grades for matches and leave bulk box for the plinking ranges where it belongs.

Bruce

Tatume
11-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Actually, I have quite a few too, that I'm unwilling to shoot. I've been thinking about dipping the bullets in melted bullet lube.

Grump
11-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I've seen only one handgun puke on Win bulk HP .22s, and that was purely a feeding problem. Front of the bullet is too flat & wide.

Everything else, they work fine. Bulk pack from Winchester is even accurate enough for most uses. The bad priming rate seems a bit less than with other bulk stuff but more than regular boxed stuff.

GLAD my experience has been better than yours, but also not happy that your experience has been bad. Me, I'd double check that stuff in a different gun, just in case some variable like a tiny bit less firing pin protrusion is *part* of the problem (this is purely hypothetical and by way if illustration). That would be "gun" factor that should not be a problem since the other ammo fires fine, but becomes a problem only with that problem ammo.

Jack Stanley
11-15-2014, 08:39 PM
About three years ago I bought a box of Winchester 555 just to test and it worked well enough I ordered a case . When the case came in the ammo fired but the accuracy wasn't even close to the previous lot number . Remington "Golden" I haven't bought since the nineties because of poor quality issues as far as accuracy but at least they fired . Federals I hadn't bought since the seventies for some of the reasons you state . When I was testing ammo a few years back I bought some of their "Champion" line and it was very good considering it was the "cheap" stuff . I also tested some Armscorp ( where's the gagging icon ) and some Aguila , the Aguila must be primed with burro manure it stunk so bad . I bought a good batch of CCI Blazer both boxed and bulk about the same time frame .

Haven't bought ammo since just before the scare so I couldn't tell you about the current run of the mill stuff . I was reasonably sure back then that "Thunderduds" couldn't get any worse . Maybe they have a new competitor for the title huh?

Jack

dtknowles
11-15-2014, 09:58 PM
About three years ago I bought a box of Winchester 555 just to test and it worked well enough I ordered a case . When the case came in the ammo fired but the accuracy wasn't even close to the previous lot number . Remington "Golden" I haven't bought since the nineties because of poor quality issues as far as accuracy but at least they fired . Federals I hadn't bought since the seventies for some of the reasons you state . When I was testing ammo a few years back I bought some of their "Champion" line and it was very good considering it was the "cheap" stuff . I also tested some Armscorp ( where's the gagging icon ) and some Aguila , the Aguila must be primed with burro manure it stunk so bad . I bought a good batch of CCI Blazer both boxed and bulk about the same time frame .

Haven't bought ammo since just before the scare so I couldn't tell you about the current run of the mill stuff . I was reasonably sure back then that "Thunderduds" couldn't get any worse . Maybe they have a new competitor for the title huh?

Jack

I believe the Aguila ammo uses the lead free Eley priming compound.

I have run thru a couple bulk packs of 333 win .22 LR hollow points in a Ruger 10-22 and a Ruger Mk II and a Walther P22. No problems and not horrible accuracy. Can't tell you when they were made. I open the boxes and transfer them to recycled CCI 100 round plastic trays. I see people shaking there bulk packs and it gives me the shivers. I think that bulk packs have higher rates of failure because of the packaging. Has the OP done measurements on the rounds that fail to feed and extract. Can you tell where is the flaw? In my MKII almost every failure to fire is also a failure to extract. I attribute this to the match chamber and I think the bullet is actually into the rifling.

Tim

Tim

waltherboy4040
11-15-2014, 10:25 PM
3-4 years? Rimfire has been junk longer than that. Golden Bullets come to mind. They are consistent garbage. I gladly pay the premium for Winchester M22. Not the most accurate. But it's the only type that will cycle all my semis. I've found the Winchester 333 packs to be better than Golden Bullets but still bulk garbage.

Haven't had a problem with newer rem 22 in the 50 round boxes, no duds either in my pistol. Maybe they have gotten better since I haven't tried any of the older stuff.

wrench man
11-15-2014, 10:57 PM
Was this the White box?, or the Red box?, there have been numerous complaints of the White box?, I've shot a couple thousand of the red box, it's pretty good stuff, my Marlin 995 thinks it's a target rifle with it!

fouronesix
11-15-2014, 11:32 PM
I have tried the so called bulk 22 ammo two or three times in the last 20+ years. It never was the best and pretty much unacceptable.

But the market demand is what it is. The concept of cheap sells to a large percentage of people and especially when fueled by shortage. There are a lot of shooters and many kids who are perfectly happy with ammo that simply goes bang. Many out there have never shot at a real target seriously or simply don't have a rifle capable of showing much difference between good and bad ammo or simply can't shoot well enough to tell the difference.

I haven't had specific experience with Win bulk, but the last bulk I tried was Rem and it was terrible. Very inaccurate across the board with a squib thrown in for measure about 10% of the time. That was a few years ago and the last time I bought bulk. I won't waste my money on it now, no matter the brand or how cheap... even during this 2-3 year old 22 drought.

MaryB
11-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Winchester had a recall last year? On some 22lr so watch for it. I haven't had any problems with bulk Remington or Winchester M22 in my 10/22

62chevy
11-16-2014, 12:09 AM
Winchester had a recall last year? On some 22lr so watch for it. I haven't had any problems with bulk Remington or Winchester M22 in my 10/22

It was the M22 that was recalled, double charged and blowing up guns.

Buckshot
11-16-2014, 12:43 AM
...........Possibly some of the issues members are complaining about are being caused by the fact that manufacturers are now trying everything in their bag of tricks to at least ATTEMPT to meet the demand. A demand that for sure wasn't there 10 years ago, nor 8 years ago, but probably closer to 6 years ago. According to most manufacturers that I've read about in the various and sundry articles, have stated they're running their machines as fast as possible and have even gone to 3 shifts. I doubt they had to do this previously to meet the demand established by decades of production?

I have been aware of a couple brands in the past with which folks have had problems. I too have had the occasional failure to fire, or to feed properly (usually in a semi-auto) over the years. I suspect that if these problems have become more pronounced, then I'd most likely lay the blame at the industries' attempt to increase production to meet the demand.

I am also darn sure that the industry realizes that demand 'MAY' remain somewhat elevated due to the increase of firearms ownership. At the same time I also believe that they probably also figured that once the political climate changed, the demand might also decrease. Since they can't simply call up the Ajax 22RF Cartridge Making Machine Company and order up 5 new machines, plus that in 2-4 years from now they might not be needed, they're trying to do the best they can without a large capitol outlay, that may bite them on the butt in a couple years.

Most of the 22RF ammunition I've become aware of, of "Being on Sale" via 'E-Blasts' from the various suspects in the past year or two, have always been for brands like Ely, RWS, Fioochi, or similar, and of these, they're for the more competition types. Seems to me, most folks who're upset are those wanting the common comparatively inexpensive ammo they're used to for shooting with the kids, shooting vermin, or just out for a day at the range shooting Necco Wafers, saltine crackers and the similar.

Apparently things may be easing a bit, but I expect even a couple of years from now it won't be like it was 7-8 years ago. Probably will be better, and getting better, but being able to go to the gun shop or dept store and buy the type and manufacturer (let alone the quantity) might yet be a bit further out. I don't need 22RF as I bought a bit here and a bit there and even a couple times a case here and a case there, when it was cheap and easy to get, and no big deal or hardship. However whenever I'm in a place that normally carried it, I check. Not to buy but just to check. I was in Big 5 today to get a pair of shoes, and in the Walmart in Thatcher, AZ while visiting my folks in Pima, AZ. Neither place had any :-(

...............Buckshot

dakotashooter2
11-16-2014, 01:18 AM
I have 3 single shot lever action .22s I have acquired over the years. I shot them through my teens and my son did the same. After he went to school they didn't get used for about 8 years. A couple years back I took them all out to run a few rounds through them. I had various brands of .22 ammo and had probably a 75% FTF in all the guns. I don't recall EVER having a FTF during the time I or my son used them regularly. Took all 3 appart and thouroughly cleaned and checked firing pins and springs, all of which were OK. Still had misfires. The ONLY rounds they didn't misfire with was the Aguila Cobri..... Which seemed to have a thicker and more consistent rim............

Gtek
11-16-2014, 01:37 AM
Some recently purchased Remington sub-sonic was taken out. Through the can, pth, pth, crack, pth , crack. We had a chrono there for other things, set up and run some through. Ran from 840 to 1125 in ten rounds, good stuff!

SlowMec
11-16-2014, 03:40 AM
Hi, i just have to toss in my opinion.

As a competition shooter i shoot alot of 22 lr. (around 6000 to 10000 a year)

Iīm not good enough to have use for the expensive selected/handpicked match stuff.

But

I would never, ever buy bulk!
22lr is a sensitive little cartridge that needs to be packed separatly.

Personally a only shoot CCI standard velocity #00035(?)
I prefer the 100 box but itīs hard to find these days.
I buy them 5000 or 10000 at the time.
I have had one (1) fail to fire in over 20yr thatīs was ammo related ( several due to dirty gun)

CCI have enough power to cycle both my Walther PP and my very hard cycled Browning Buckmark.
They are cleanburning and have lube thatīs not sticky.

This is MY personal opinion based on my experience and i donīt get payed from CCI. ( I wish i was!)

smokeywolf
11-16-2014, 07:09 AM
Last time I shot 22LR was at least 1-1/2 years ago. Had noticeable problems with a bulk box of Remington. Problems included extraction, resistance to chambering, accuracy and fail to cycle a semi-auto.

Next time I bought 22LR I bought CCI; still haven't dipped into that.

smokeywolf

Mohillbilly
11-16-2014, 10:04 AM
For range plink'n I have a distaste for plain lead bullets in my semi autos , Win wildcats , Colibri s , and Centurion are ok in my pumps and revolvers . Remington s golden ect are junk so far , mostly duds , or inconsistent , and failure to feed or fire . Winchester copper washed are good as are CCI mini mags . I have been surprised at Federal bulk packed 550 . they are good in my semi s too .

country gent
11-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Wit the increase in demand and hoarding the last few years manufacturers have tried to increase production not only to meet demand and satisfu customers but to cash in on the increase, Speeding up the equipment can cause problems with consistency, some things are better running a little slower allowing for better quality. The other side to this is the people running this equipment can only work 12-12 hour days 7 days a week for so long before fatiuge sets in and tired workers arnt as efficent. Then when tired appathy starts to set in, the Its good enoygh syndrome. At the increased speeds equipment wears faster breaks down more and dosnt function as well. New rimfire lines are being installed and set up in several factories and Ive read of 2 new factories being built to run rimfire ammo. Between adding the various new rimfire rounds, new shooters, and hoarders demand has greatly outpaced production. All you can do is call customer service accuratly describe the problems being had and let the upper managmant know. You can try diffrent brands and grades of ammo to find what works in your firearms then stock up if possible. I bought 8 cases ( 5000 rds a case) of .22 rimfire from the dcm years ago that was great ammo but it is gone now. It was 90.00 a case at the time. It was pacaged in cmp/dcm white boxes and I am pretty sure it was federal 711. Shot very good and functioned in severything we feed it thru. If the manufacturers dont recieve any complaints they think everything is fine and dandy. Complaints are what gets things changed in the process.

dragon813gt
11-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Who is adding rimfire lines? I know Remington is expanding their plant but I haven't heard any specifics.

W.R.Buchanan
11-16-2014, 12:17 PM
So I guess it ain't me.

Randy

Airman Basic
11-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Must have couple dozen of these "bulk" containers. All empty now though. Was considering purchase of modern day bulk. Guess not, huh?

Mtnfolk75
11-16-2014, 01:58 PM
My son & I shot a Rimfire Poker Match yesterday, using Remington Thunderbolt. It was from a bulk box I had purchased back in the summer, $50.00 ...... :veryconfu Anyway, after the match we shot the remaining ammo through his 20" Bull Barrel 10-22 that I put together 2 weeks ago, and his Marlin 995 that I got him for his 14th Birthday in 1996. Had 3-4 FTF's out of that 500 round box, none during the match fortunately. He wanted to blow it all off since it was .... " JUNK " ....... Junk that I paid for .... :shock:

BTW, it was pretty consistent for ringing steel at the 366 yard berm once we figured out sight pictures in the scopes. FWIW, I had bought four of those 333 Win packs a few years ago, traded them off this summer without firing any of them. Sounds like that was a good plan ..... :popcorn:

MtGun44
11-17-2014, 02:09 AM
Interesting. Haven't bought or shot any 333rd Win .22 ammo. Some others slamming Rem Golden
Bullet rounds. I have run through several of these Rem bulk packs with no particular issues, shoot
reasonably well - some guns do well, others not as accurate, no feeding issues in most guns.

I have noticed an increase in failures to fire, but not too bad.

Of course, I have only bought one brick of .22 since the problems began, and it is subsonic
Rem which seems OK, not particularly accurate, though.

Eley Sport smells exactly the same as Aguila, and apparently they use Eley primer technology,
strange smell, not like other ammo.

Bill

TheDoctor
11-17-2014, 09:30 AM
I haven't SO FAR had any issues with Winchester bulk. I will not compare it to any of the CCI standard velocity, but you get what you pay for. Sometimes. Used to buy Remington golden in the 100 plastic packs, had a MKII that loved it. Never had an issue. Best paper packaged I have ever used are CCI blazers, but they do have the plastic spacers in each 50 round box. Aguila of any flavor has always been abysmal for me, regardless of which gun I use. Found a new candidate for worst ever this weekend, though it may be this particular lot. Federal, white boxed, 325 round, says auto-match and target grade performance on box. Had several rounds that the rim must have been solid! Pin would barely dent it. Try the same round in a different gun, again, light strike, no fire. Some would not fire at all. Rim diameter may have been off also. Had a first time ever, for me at least, double feed in a Marlin 60. Gun did that twice in less than 50 rounds. Did not even know that it was possible. Switch ammo to CCI, gun functioned flawlessly. This stuff, even though it claims target grade performance, is NO WHERE CLOSE to the excellent Federal ultra gold I used to get when it was cheap, $6.00 a box cheap. Hate to see what that stuff would cost now! And what would its quality be?

trixter
11-17-2014, 12:26 PM
I had a lot of issues this past spring; squeek hunting with my Marlin 60, everything that FTF, was fed into my Wards Westernfield bolt action tube fed and worked perfectly. This gun was made between 1938 & 1939; butt ugly but became beautiful to shoot squeeks. I found the Marlin extremely dirty and gave it a MAJOR cleaning, That didn't alleviate the problem, but did make me feel batter abut knowing that I was trying to shoot **** ammo. I have procured various brands during this shortage, and checked each on gun by gun for consistency. Now I know which ones will cycle the Marlin 60, (the fussiest), almost everything will go through my Ruger 10-22, and of course the bolt guns; nothing argues. Even the single shot Crickett fires everytime you put one in and cock it. Research pays off.

mdi
11-17-2014, 12:35 PM
None of my Ruger 22 LRs have a problem with Winchester ammo and of course my Marlin and Savage bolt actions will shoot anything. But I've not experienced any FTF with the Winchester bulk stuff, not as accurate as most, but all went bang. The only rimfire ammo I won't buy is anything made by Remington. I've had trouble in semi-auto and dirty, poor accuracy in all my 22s (it doesn't even feed consistently in a Remington rifle!)

ukrifleman
11-17-2014, 12:58 PM
I stopped using Remington .22 ammo because of the number of FTF rounds with Golden bullet and particularly Thunderbolt. Even my Squires & Bingham with a chisel ended firing `pin` failed to get the stuff to work consistently.

I switched to Blazer and no longer have problems.

ukrifleman.

Green Frog
11-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Years ago one of my schuetzen friends turned me on to Federal Auto Match™ at an event we were shooting down in Asheville, NC. I've tried to keep a reasonable supply (the equivalent of at least 2-3 bricks) for what shooting I get to do with my 22s these days. It isn't the most accurate I can find, but it is reliable and reasonably accurate, and it functions well in all of my 22s regardless of action type. I wouldn't take it to a 22 BR match or anything, but it's my go-to for practice and plinking, so I still pick it up when I can find it. YMMV, but if you get some reasonably priced and it doesn't work for you, just sell it to me! :D

Froggie

Maximumbob54
11-17-2014, 01:32 PM
I just find it funny because when I was a kid I used to worship having enough money to buy a full block of Winchester .22 LR and shoot away the whole afternoon and again the next day. I don't remember hardly any failures and I think they were more from the amount of crud building up in the chamber. That filth was the only reason I would close up for the day. Now thirty years later I can't get through a red bulk 333 box without a failure per magazine. That's through a Henry, 10/22, M&P 15-22, Nylon 66, and a MK III standard. The MK III does have the least trouble though.

MarkP
11-17-2014, 02:27 PM
Back in the Mid 90's I noticed one day while practicing off hand shooting in a shooting tunnel some shots made a crack and others did not. Being curious I did a test with Winchester, Remington, & Federal bulk 22 ammo. The Remington and Winchester velocities' had large spreads, large enough that the velocity of some were below sonic, at that time the Federal bulk was noticably more consistent. After that I switched to buying only Federal bulk packs.

I did however buy some Remington bulk packs (Golden Bullets) after the 2008 shortage they shot well, as in I do not recall misfires.

I remember Winchester Wildcats and Remington Thunderbolts having several misfires, that was at least 25 years ago so nothing new.

I would use Federal match for competition these have a negative dimple in the center of the head, the dimple is larger than a heavy strike on a shot shell primer.

bbqncigars
11-17-2014, 07:37 PM
I had the same experience as TheDoctor with some execrable Federal AutoMatch that I bought recently to test. Failures of every kind in all the guns I tried it in. Huge variations in velocity with corresponding lack of accuracy. I'll stick with CCI. The S&W 41 just loooves Blazer in the original barrel, and Minimags are favored in the Clark Custom pipe. That Federal stuff must have completely bypassed q.c., even worse than the last golden Remington I tried years ago. Now the new Norma stuff shoots nice, but I don't like having to wipe lube off my hands after handling it.

W.R.Buchanan
11-17-2014, 08:05 PM
I just bought a brick of the Norma T22 ammo today from Mid South. $5.40 per box so I got 10 boxes.. I already had a brick that I bought from them a year ago so I'll shoot that up first.

Prices are coming down, Slowly but surely.

Randy

rhead
11-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Try some Remington bulk ammo and you will think more kindly toward the Winchester. I quit buying the Remington in 1988 I did not quit on the Winchester until 1992. The last Federal i bought was in 2006. I am almost down to a hundred thousand rounds.

paul h
11-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Haven't had any reliable sources of any 22lr ammo, but would be willing to try the Winchester out of curiosity.

As far as **** ammo, Remington thunderbolt is it! I've tried it off and on for decades and you can be guranteed for ftf's and a filthy gun. On the flip side I've popped nearly 10,000 federal bulk's and they are great, just wish I could get my hands on some.

I'm a big fan of Winchester power points for hunting, still have a few boxes stashed.

Le Loup Solitaire
11-17-2014, 10:26 PM
I bought a case of Remington thunder"duds" a few years ago and while the accuracy isn't too bad, the number of ftf's is astounding. Sometimes I can get 3-4 in a row. It is definitely not the stuff you want to take to the line in a comp match. I turn the duds a half turn,try again and use them, if they work, for plinking hoping to get some of them to fire; if its still no go I pull them and save the lead. I still have around 1/3 of a case left and then I'll shop for something else. LLS

blaser.306
11-17-2014, 10:41 PM
I bought a case of Remington thunder"duds" a few years ago and while the accuracy isn't too bad, the number of ftf's is astounding. Sometimes I can get 3-4 in a row. It is definitely not the stuff you want to take to the line in a comp match. I turn the duds a half turn,try again and use them, if they work, for plinking hoping to get some of them to fire; if its still no go I pull them and save the lead. I still have around 1/3 of a case left and then I'll shop for something else. LLS

The more I hear about the Remington Thunderbolt, the more confused I have become Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have been shooting these "awfull bullets" thru my TC contender with a 14 " match chamber bbl. and cannot remember 1 solitary misfire? Not that I am complaining , I just feel a little left out LOL! I am currently working my way thru a couple of bricks ( bulk 525 packs ) of Remington , no misfires thru the 10/22 yet. The only ammo that it seems not to like is the fed bulk stuff, not due to misfires as much as how dirty they are to shoot!

dale2242
11-18-2014, 09:26 AM
I pick up dropped/discarded FTF 22lr ammo.
Most of the discarded FTF ammo has a very light firing pin strike.
I think shooters tend to not clean rim fire guns as often as they should....dale

Lance Boyle
11-18-2014, 10:46 AM
I am not surprised that we're finding more "variance" in the .22 long rifle product lines due to the crazy demand and increased production schedules. I'm sure they're in a good enough mode.

The Wildcats and Thunderbolts for me have ALWAYS been at least 5% duds. And dirty as a coal mine.

I pretty much skip anything sold in a bulk carton, milk carton, ect. Packed like that doesn't help the cartridge out in it's journey. I saw too many loose bullets in their casings. I wonder how much that causes a change in velocity with the varied crimp pressure. Can't be helpful. The much hated golden bullet? I like them, but only in the bricks of 50 count paper boxes. I use them for dispatching sick, injured, rabid critters all the time. Just shot a chicken thieving fox a week ago. In the ruger bolt it's plenty accurate, under an inch at 50yds.

wv109323
11-18-2014, 10:16 PM
Right now if it has 22LR on the box someone will buy it. The manufacturers have put quality on the back burner and replaced it with quantity especially on their bulk or promotional brand. Most promo ammo is burnt up shooting at pop cans through a marlin 60. Most consumers of promo ammo are not bothered by the lack of quality.
I usually stick with CCI std. Vel. And I have some Aguilar SV. Both are reliable and accurate but the Aguilar has some variation in bullet diameter. It works fine in a bolt but in some autos it is a problem.
I shot some Winchester T-22 that was 5-6 years old and it was not as good as I remember previous lots. It had accuracy and reliability issues.

telebasher
11-18-2014, 11:05 PM
The more I hear about the Remington Thunderbolt, the more confused I have become Over the past 4 or 5 years, I have been shooting these "awfull bullets" thru my TC contender with a 14 " match chamber bbl. and cannot remember 1 solitary misfire? Not that I am complaining , I just feel a little left out LOL! I am currently working my way thru a couple of bricks ( bulk 525 packs ) of Remington , no misfires thru the 10/22 yet. The only ammo that it seems not to like is the fed bulk stuff, not due to misfires as much as how dirty they are to shoot!

My experience exactly. I've still got eight or ten bulk pacs that I've been hoarding.

rodsvet
11-18-2014, 11:07 PM
I have about 10,000 rounds of "golden bullet" I bought in the early 90's. It fires consistently in every 22 I own. About 6-7 years ago I got some more in bulk for $9 a brick, and it has a disgusting failure rate. I will shoot it up before I touch the early stuff. I like many have lost faith in Remington products. Rod

Pb4me
11-18-2014, 11:16 PM
I had some failure to fire in a Winchester bulk box. I emailed the company and received a phone call a couple of weeks later. They emailed a shipping label to me so I could send the remaining cartridges back. They also said that if I wanted a replacement box, that I should include a copy of my d.l. They also wanted any dud rounds that I could find. The lady I dealt with was very nice and did what she said she would. Let them know. It might pay off

TXGunNut
11-18-2014, 11:23 PM
I have a Ruger MKI that thinks Winchester Wildcat is target ammo. Most of it is pretty old, stash has lasted thru a few "shortages".

Mauser48
11-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Had some of the same problems. Couldnt even get them to feed in a bolt action 22. Only gun that ran them was my trusty old winchester model 63 semi auto.

shoot-n-lead
11-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Not as bad as Remington.

Possumcop
11-19-2014, 01:56 AM
I don't shoot much of the bulk pack stuff anymore except through pistols. I have noticed that almost ALL bulk .22 ammo bought since @2008 has higher misfire rates and worse accuracy than the older stuff I've got stored up.

Oddly enough, the one "bulk" brand that I haven't noticed getting worse is Winchester Dynapoints. I get zero misfires and decent accuracy. Best of all, it consistently stays subsonic in my suppressed 10-22.

As far as people complaining about the smell of Aguila, all I can say is that they go bang every time I pull the trigger. Their "Golden Eagle" target stuff is also about as accurate as CCI standard velocity.

Maybe Winchester, Remington and Federal should try adding some burro feces to their priming compound. It might help and it sure as heck couldn't make it much worse!

I love CCI standard velocity or subsonic, but they're as scarce as hens teeth in my AO. Aside from the Dynapoints, CCI is about it as far as affordable, reliable, American made .22 ammo goes these days.

If someone had told me 30 years ago, that in the future, Mexican made .22 ammo would be of higher quality than the products of Federal, Winchester and Remington, I'd have laughed in their face.

I don't see anything at all funny about it now. :cry:

dudel
11-19-2014, 08:59 AM
I pick up dropped/discarded FTF 22lr ammo.
Most of the discarded FTF ammo has a very light firing pin strike.
I think shooters tend to not clean rim fire guns as often as they should....dale

Guess I'm not the only one doing that! I find they have a firing pin mark on the rim, so someone tried to shoot it once. I run them through whatever 22LR I have with me (Contender, 10/22, 22/45, Neos, Henry), and they work on the first strike. I can only guess that the original shooter had a problem with light strikes or dirty guns. I suspect dirty guns as the primary reason. Hearing about people who don't like to clean their weapons, reinforces that. Add to that that 22LR is about the dirtiest cartridge out there.

I'm one of the lucky ones. Rem GB work fine for me. I got them in the Bulk Pack because that's what the maker of the Glock 22LR conversion kit recommended. No complaints, and I've got a couple of thousand put up. I also shoot a lot of suppressed, so I prefer plated 22LR over plain lead. I prefer the CCI subsonic because it's plated; but also use the Rem subsonic (because it was available in quantity). Several thousand of those put up over the years (a brick here, a brick there, and it adds up).

Most of my bulk packs are from before the most recent crisis; so if there has been a fall off in quality, I've not seen it. I recently got two bricks of CCI quiet from Midway (talk about quick on the draw!). Haven't tried it yet; but with a choice of guns, I'm sure I'll find something that will shoot it. If it won't cycle the semis, there's always the Henry. If it doesn't feed or extract easily, there's always the Contender or the Handi. It's good to have options.

Hopefully my supply of good stuff will last until the issues are resolved. The only good thing is that hoarders have most of the bad ammo!

ravelode
11-19-2014, 11:02 AM
I had issues with older Remington Golden bullet-not the "NEW And Improved Priming" and Thunderbolts, some lots of Federal bulk, and some Winchester bulk. FTF, inconsistent velocities etc. just rotate the duds and try again. if after three tries it still doesn't go bang, put it back in the box, and write a {polite expressing disappointment, not a "RANGE RAGE" letter} to the manufacturer and after shipping it to the respondent address, in the original box through a UPS hub (marking package with ORM-D stickers before you get there) I usually get coupon for more of the company's product.

s1120
11-19-2014, 01:11 PM
Ive had a different experience with the Win bulk. My XT22 bolt action loves the 555 bulk! Not a issue, and more accurate then any other bulk stuff Ive feed it.

Possumcop
11-20-2014, 03:16 AM
I recently got two bricks of CCI quiet from Midway (talk about quick on the draw!). Haven't tried it yet; but with a choice of guns, I'm sure I'll find something that will shoot it. If it won't cycle the semis....

It won't.
Better get the Henry ready.

9.3X62AL
11-20-2014, 04:07 AM
I've had excellent luck with CCI 22 LR ammo over all other makes in terms of reliability and consistency. Even their Blazer cheep stuff runs in my 2 most cranky self-loaders......the SIG Mosquito and an older Winchester 290. Surprisingly, the 290 fed and functioned about 60% of the time with CCI Quiets. The down side--I haven't seen CCI rimfire ammo for sale anywhere for over 2 years. I have enough to hunt with, and to sight-in rifles to hunt with. The sitch is still preposterous, like a Third World distribution scam.

dudel
11-20-2014, 09:19 AM
It won't.
Better get the Henry ready.

And the Contender and Handi. Options are good.

Possumcop
11-21-2014, 12:35 AM
Most promo ammo is burnt up shooting at pop cans through a marlin 60

My 35 year old Marlin Model 60 was far more accurate than my 10-22 until I'd spent about seven times as much on a barrel and trigger work for the 10-22 as the Marlin cost brand new (there WAS 30 years worth of inflation in that equation).

Point is that the Marlin Model 60 is an excellent rifle, especially when you consider their low cost.

The more I think about it, I probably learned more about shooting from plinking at cans and garbage dump rats with cheap ammo than I have from my more recent activities with much more expensive rifles and ammunition.

Admittedly, there was a lot of free instruction (and ammo!) in between from the friendly DI's when I spent a few years with Uncle Sam's Misguided Children.

9.3X62AL
11-21-2014, 12:52 AM
Marlin Model 60s are excellent little rifles. I've had very good fortune with Ruger 10/22s in terms of functional reliability and field accuracy. My most recent 10/22 was a beater I bought while killing time during one of Marie's summer teacher training gigs a few years back. The hotel hosting the soiree was a couple miles from The Stockade in Westminster, CA.......best feature of the whole gig, in my view.

I meant to do a Volquartsen/Hogue mondo makeover on this rifle's receiver, but once I got the little monster cleaned up it didn't appear to have been shot much. A review of aftermarket parts price listings set off alarms for me, so I bought a scope mount & rings and attached a whatzis 4X and headed rangeward. I brought a mix of ammo makes, and a couple types hovered at or near 1" at 50 yards once I got barrel and scope looking in the same direction. That range trip saved me a boatload of cash, and that little Ruger still hunts quite well with the Scope With No Name. Moral Of The Story--don't turn wrenches on things that ain't broke.

MtGun44
11-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Good point, Al. I have a M60 Glenfield that isn't much to look at but will
sure shoot.

Bill

Tackleberry41
11-21-2014, 09:22 AM
I bought some of the Win 333 at wal mart a while back, the first I had been able to get ahold of there in a long time. I was so happy a score of almost 1000 22. Then I went to shoot some of it, misfire after misfire. Some you could put back in hit again and it go off. Some had 3 dents and wouldn't fire. Eventually it went back to Winchester and they sent me a refund.

Spector
11-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Our Beretta Neos U-22 did not like the new Winchester bulk at all. Did ok with some old American Eagle.

Geezer in NH
11-21-2014, 05:33 PM
I had a very negative experience with Winchester 333 bulk ammo today and it is something I have never experienced before in my life.

I don't know if any of you have noticed the declining quality of Rimfire ammo over the last 3-4 years? But I certainly have..

Like most of us here I have fired literally 10's of thousands of rounds of .22 LR ammo over my lifetime. Prior to the last few years I could have counted on one hand the number of misfires I have had in my entire life! Now it is an occurrence everytime I shoot and sometimes it is every 8-10 rounds!

Mis-fires, fails to fire, hang fires. Cases so soft they have to be ejected with a cleaning rod, Rounds that won't even go into the chamber?

[SIZE=6]***!!![SIZE=5]

I am pretty disgusted right now.

I ran a whole box of Federal cheap stuff thru my M2 this morning at my monthly Silhouette Shoot. no issues!.

I opened a box of Winchester 333 bulk HP's that were all I had with me. First round fail to fire, fires on second hit, and then won't extract. Had to be removed with a cleaning rod. Second shot Fails to chamber, third shot hang fire about 2 seconds. 4th shot fails to chamber all the way and had to be knocked out with a cleaning round and you know I loved doing that to a live round. 5th shot fires fine and I hit a chicken, 6th shot fails to fire,,, I'M done!.

This is not a Gun problem and it damn sure it ain't a ME problem!

I thought SAAMI specs require factory ammo to function in any gun chambered for it. The rounds that wouldn't chamber in my M2, which admittedly has a tight chamber, also wouldn't chamber in an 85 year old Remington single shot rifle which certainly doesn't have a match chamber.

This stuff was pure garbage, and defiantly the worst ammunition of any kind I have fired in my entire life.

As I said earlier on I have noticed a decline in the quality in just the last few years.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I wonder what they are thinking dropping QC standards to this level?

Randy
IMHO all bulk sucks. **** powder, non-filled rims with primer etc. You get what you pay for.

Federal bulk was sweet plinking ammo at 8-9 bucks a 550 box who cared abut 2-3% misfires then. Remington was junk then with at least 10-20 not firing. But at prices wanted by some, no I will pass.

W.R.Buchanan
11-22-2014, 12:17 AM
IMHO all bulk sucks. **** powder, non-filled rims with primer etc. You get what you pay for.

This was the first affordable .22LR ammo I had seen for sale in my area in two years. I Paid $27.95 for this box which was from Turner's . It had been taken off a guy who had already bought some that day and came back thru and got caught right before I went in the store. The cashier had it and when I bitched that there was none there after the shelves had been stocked an hour earlier he came out with this box.

I thought I got lucky! Instead I got screwed, and that's what this whole thread is about.

I didn't get what I paid for,,, and they won't take it back.

Randy

WILCO
11-22-2014, 12:38 AM
For years, it's been my understanding that there's different grades of rimfire ammunition.
I've always purchased my ammunition, based upon intended application with a specific firearm.
Failing that, I've acquired different brands with the acceptance of general purpose performance.
Not all rimfire cartridges are junk. If that was the case, there'd be a gluttonous supply.

jmort
11-22-2014, 12:43 AM
I have had nothing but good fortune with 333 or 555 or 500 bulk ammunition. All mine is a few years old. Still have a few thousand rounds thankfully. This will make me think twice about new production bulk rimfire.

weasel 21
11-22-2014, 10:30 AM
Winchester wildcats ( at least 20 yrs old ) would not extract in my 1975 Ruger single six.

MT Gianni
11-22-2014, 09:38 PM
15 years ago Winchester Dyna points were top quality matching Federal Gold Medal target in accuracy. They can make great stuff, I am sure the quality control is less through the line the last 3 years.

Horseman1
11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
Went to the range with one of my friends years ago. I was shooting my Marlin 60 and my friend had his JC Higgins bolt action. This was before I got wise and started reloading my CF guns. I was shooting Federal bulk and he the Winchester.

He was having all kinds of problems feeding the Winchester bulk bullets he bought and I was having no problems with the Federal in the 60. I traded him, suspecting maybe his gun was having problems with that flatter bullet profile.

The Winchesters ran fine in my model 60 but didnt work at all in an old JC Higgins bolt gun and the Federals were fine for him. After we switched, we both shot the rest of the time with no issues. Things have probably changed since then, since this was well before the latest shortage, but after the Clinton Scare.

It seems that some guns may or may not like certain types of ammo and you need to feed them what they like!

butch2570
11-23-2014, 07:49 PM
I have a bunch of the rem goldens and federal 550 packs and have had good luck with both in my 2 ruger mark II semi and 617 smith revolver, and bolt rifles.

Horseman1
11-24-2014, 12:05 AM
The last time I used the bulk Golden Bullets, they all worked fine, but the difference in the powder charge between one round to the next was pretty apparent. They all still cycled fine in the slicked up model 60.

TXGunNut
11-24-2014, 12:59 AM
It seems that some guns may or may not like certain types of ammo and you need to feed them what they like!-Horseman1

That, my friend, is the secret to .22's! Always has been, probably always will be. My Ruger MKI thinks the old Winchester Wildcat is target ammo. My S&W 617 likes the Remington HV HP ammo.
I think the issue Randy (OP) is addressing is the current state of bulk rimfire ammo. I suspect the manufacturers are addressing the need for more ammo instead of the need for quality ammo. Hopefully that will change before my little stash runs out.

Possumcop
11-25-2014, 12:58 PM
15 years ago Winchester Dyna points were top quality matching Federal Gold Medal target in accuracy. They can make great stuff, I am sure the quality control is less through the line the last 3 years.

They're still good to go, at least they were a year or so ago when I managed to pick up a couple bulk packs of 'em.

I was a little disappointed at first since about 20% of them went supersonic in my new 16 inch barrel Savage Mark II bolt action, but they all stayed quiet in the 16 inch 10-22.

They shot dime sized group's at 25 yards through both rifles, so the accuracy is still there although I've never compared them directly with Federal Gold Medal target.