PDA

View Full Version : Photo of success with my new Lee 50-250-REAL mold.

Tallbald
11-15-2014, 04:25 PM
I bought this mold to cast pure lead slugs to use in my CVA Optima V2 .50 caliber black powder pistol at the range. Basically, I find sabots too expensive to use for range fun, and round ball with patches don't excite me yet. With a 1 in 28 twist, it was suggested I try paper patching. I look forward to doing just that in the future, but realize it's another learning curve and right now I have a number of things on my plate. These slugs are supposed to run .518 inch and my pistol hasn't been slugged yet. Now that I have the pure lead slugs though I think I can slug the bore with one of them (I am hoping).
I've read about folks using this REAL slug in the same pistol with 50 grains of Triple Seven and I seem to remember, a waxed felt wad. A couple years ago I cut a can full of my own felt wads and waxed them as I read about on another forum. I'm looking forward to trying them out. It felt so nice to be casting something again too.
Any advise is appreciated as always. Thanks. Don

Blammer
11-15-2014, 04:57 PM
can't say much about the 50 cal pistol, but I do know the 50 250 REAL's work well in both of my 50 cal rifles.

I just smear a bit of lube on the sides best I can before I load and shoot. (this is target punching so I don't have to worry about the powder getting contaminated with the lube) 80gr of FFG works for me with them.

greased felt wad ought to do the trick too.

the REAL stand for Rifle Engraved At Loading, so it may take a "tap" to get them started down the barrel. Small plastic mallet works well, or a dead blow hammer of sorts, or a strong arm. :)