PDA

View Full Version : Micrometer Question, Not Sure Just Where It Belongs

Alan in Vermont
11-15-2014, 03:16 PM
So I'm asking it here, seems as good a place as any.

Does anyone have any experience with "Shars" brand micrometers? The keyword here is "experience", I already know about Starrett and the other old names in measuring tools, don't need opinions.

MT Gianni
11-15-2014, 06:42 PM
A lot of mics got branded by whomever was selling them, just like tools, and appliances. I never met a Shars mic.

Calamity Jake
11-15-2014, 08:42 PM
^^^^Same here, worked in machine shops for over 30 years never hurd of Shars.

Sin Nombre
11-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Very inexpensive tools and you must be aware that there may be issues with them. I've had many Chinese and east bloc measuring tools come through the shop when I was working and they never would last and tool to tool had some interesting problems with heat-treatment, lead, and so on. Tools are the one place to not go cheap imo

troyboy
11-16-2014, 10:33 AM
They will work as designed. As with anything buy from a reputable source. If you are patient, sourcing quality used,precision measuring instruments on Ebay is a viable option.

C. Latch
11-16-2014, 10:42 AM
Have you checked your local pawn shops?

I'm not expert on ANY sort of precision tools, but I picked up a nice Mitutoyo 1" mic for $20 at a pawn shop near me.

starmac
11-16-2014, 06:16 PM
They come through the swapping and selling right here on this site pretty often.
I am sitting here looking at a nice brown and sharp, that I gave 20 or 25 bucks for delivered to my door from another member. I also have a nice starrett from another member at around the same price range.

I won't say an unheard of brand would automatically be junk, but for my use I don't see the need, plus I just have a thing for quality tools.

DougGuy
11-16-2014, 06:26 PM
I bought a really nice Mitutoyo on fleabay shipped for $39, has mechanical digital readout to .0001"

Why buy cheapo import when you can get the real deal, Made In Japan, or Made In USA for about the same money..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitutoyo-Micrometer-No-193-211-In-Original-Hard-Case-0-1-034-0001-034-/171533885427?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=G6l%252FBF2CFNSko%252BJnQHN4mP0QIec%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Alan in Vermont
11-16-2014, 06:57 PM
[QUOTE=C. Latch;3008693]Have you checked your local pawn shops? QUOTE]

Which would be a fine idea other than the nearest pawn shop is over 45 minutes away, the next one is two hours.

I'm fully in the "buy quality" sector. I've been watching evilpay, I missed one that went cheap, too old to kick my own butt over that one. I have a WTB going right now, no replies so far.

I'm also having a hard time justifying anything but cheap on this item. I have been loading for 46 years and have never had a need for a tubing mike in that time. I don't see where I will use it much once the current project, forming 6.5 R Mag from 350 R Mag, is completed so longevity isn't really a consideration. I'm not even sure that absolute accuracy is super important as long as it's repeatable. I can get a thickness check off some once fired cases I have and then work on getting the re-formed ones to that number.

I did some research on Shar tools, it appears to be a mainly 'net seller with buying power enough to get a lot of their products labeled with their name. The mics they are selling appear to be the same as can be bought from Midway, Midsouth and Graf's. I know the overseas sweatshops are notorious for not scrapping anything for as small a reason as quality. They sort by quality level, the best ones go to the highest paying buyer, the next best to #2 buyer, etc. The real junk goes to the low bidder. They all look alike but sure aren't the same quality nor usability.

joesig
11-16-2014, 07:11 PM
FWIW, I have used SHARS mills and they seem to cut just fine. https://www.shars.com/

For the prices listed on their site, I wouldn't have a problem buying one. My tubing mic is a metric Mitutoyo (so I get to do math with every measurement)

Had I known and had it to do over again, I would get a SHARS and see.

C. Latch
11-16-2014, 07:50 PM
the current project, forming 6.5 R Mag from 350 R Mag,.

As a side note, I'd love to see a thread chronicling that process.

I don't have any .350 brass; I have a pile of 7mmRM, etc, brass that I'd like to form to 6.5RM. I bought a .300WM die set cheap to shorten and use as an intermediate step in forming, but haven't found anyone local to shorten it yet. In all fairness, I haven't *looked* for anyone yet. It's sort of a winter project.

Anyway, I'd love to see how your brass forming goes.

Houndog
11-16-2014, 08:42 PM
I'll second watching the pawn shops! I bought a .00005 reading dial type Mitutoyo one inch micrometer NEW IN THE BOX at a local pawn shop for $25.00! You never know what you might luck up on in those places!

Alan in Vermont
11-17-2014, 01:29 PM
FWIW, I have used SHARS mills and they seem to cut just fine. https://www.shars.com/

For the prices listed on their site, I wouldn't have a problem buying one. My tubing mic is a metric Mitutoyo (so I get to do math with every measurement)

Had I known and had it to do over again, I would get a SHARS and see.

Since nobody had any negative experience with the brand I decided to give one a try. Pulled the trigger on a Shar's yesterday evening along with a set of cheap($11) 1/4" letter stamps. Been wanting a set for marking ingots, I doubt these would cut it stamping steel but they should hold up for stamping lead.

I'll do a review when I get my hands on the mic.