PDA

View Full Version : Too Early For Christmas Carols?

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 02:15 PM
The radio beside my reading chair is generally tuned to a station that is already playing nonstop Christmas music. When they started Thursday I was initially a bit annoyed but for the most part I'm enjoying it now, just wondering how I'll feel about it a few weeks from now. Could do without "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" but having a good time other than that. Hard to believe another year is almost gone. Tempus fugit indeed.
Do you think it's too early for Christmas music?

DLCTEX
11-15-2014, 02:34 PM
I prefer to focus on Thanksgiving first. Too early for Christmas.

bangerjim
11-15-2014, 02:44 PM
"Yes....we need a little Christmas, right this very minute." (to quote the song)

Peace on earth.....goodwill to men.......applies all year.

The Yuletide music just gets the thoughts of Christmas's past flowing once again! And the heart racing in anticipation of the Christmas yet to come!

I am known as Mr. Christmas and know pretty much every (normal!) Christmas song by heart. Love to be able to play them on the keyboards without feeling too much out of season.

bangerjim

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-15-2014, 03:02 PM
I enjoy Christmas music for the week before and the week after Dec 25th.
otherwise I prefer the news/talk...even some of the Liberal stuff on NPR.

and YEP, this fall went quick here in MN

HeavyMetal
11-15-2014, 03:15 PM
I like Christmas music but not fond of it starting before Holloween!

and Grandma got run over by a reindeer needs to have the master burned and buried, not a music critic but even Bing Crosby couldn't make that tune "Sing" LOL!

MT Gianni
11-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Singing with a local choir this year and they start early. I don't care to listen to it much before the 15 of Dec and after the 1st.

williamwaco
11-15-2014, 06:49 PM
I enjoy Christmas music for the week before and the week after Dec 25th.
otherwise I prefer the news/talk...even some of the Liberal stuff on NPR.

and YEP, this fall went quick here in MN

My favorite quote from "NPR"

"The pro choice demonstrators were ligned up orderly on the west side of the street protesting calmly.
The pro life hoodlums were on the other side of the street yelling and shouting."

I saw a TV clip of the event later that night. They were all hoodlums.

blackthorn
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
I think Christmas anything should start no earlier than December first! I also think new car models should not be for sale until January first! Finally, Grandma got run over by a reindeer is one of my favorite songs! I think it's funny! So there! LOL

Sweetpea
11-15-2014, 07:04 PM
The rule in my house ( from me ) is no Christmas music until after Thanksgiving.

Not that the wife pays me much mind...

If its gonna be Christmas music, I prefer the Trans Siberian Orchestra.

runfiverun
11-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Dec 23rd is too early for Christmas carols.

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 07:40 PM
No Christmas until after Thanksgiving. We used to take a drive after Thanksgiving dinner to see the Christmas lights people had put up. This year I was in Walmart before Labor Day and they had Christmas items out already. Way to early and the stores need to stop ramming it down our throats.

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Too early to see Christmas stuff in stores IMHO but well aware of the fact that many retail businesses live or die depending on Christmas season sales. Commercial side of any holiday season brings out my (not so well) hidden Ebeneezer Scrooge.

xs11jack
11-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Its the repetition that drives me crazy. How would you like to hear Elvis P. sing Hunk Of Burning love every 15 minutes fore two months straight. Geeeeze!!
Ole Jack

bangerjim
11-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Its the repetition that drives me crazy. How would you like to hear Elvis P. sing Hunk Of Burning love every 15 minutes fore two months straight. Geeeeze!!
Ole Jack

That's why I make my own mixes on a 1G USB stick for the car and family room player. Never a repeat for a looooooooong time. And I have S-XM in the car with several channels of Christmas music starting the other day. The local FM stations do not start until ~ Turkeyday.

Ho....ho....ho!

banger

dakotashooter2
11-16-2014, 01:07 AM
It gets earlier every year. Anybody notice all the Pre- Black Friday ads that have come out. I guess the day after thanksgiving isn't soon enough so now they have started 2 weeks before................. Next year we can probably expect PRE-PRE Black Friday sales the day after Halloween........... Please stop the madness.... This brings out another point.... why do we have to get November or December dated magazines in September or October. Just date them for the month they hit the news stand.

2wheelDuke
11-16-2014, 02:41 AM
The ice cream truck has been driving around playing a really crappy rendition of Christmas songs lately. I yelled at the guy when he passed by the other day. Bah humbug!

buckwheatpaul
11-16-2014, 07:33 AM
My wife has been watching Halmark Christmas shows for weeks.....if it puts you in a Christmas mood then I think it is a good thing.....I'm not talking about buying presents....I'm talking about putting you in the mindset of it is: "The Reason for the Season!"

dragon813gt
11-16-2014, 08:22 AM
It gets earlier every year. Anybody notice all the Pre- Black Friday ads that have come out.

Not only that, have you seen the times that stores are opening on Thanksgiving day? This country has no respect for holidays and vacations in general. There is no good reason to be open on a holiday. I get it, they're opening to make money. I blame all the sheep that run out and wait in line to buy a TV for $200. I like Amazons deals the following week where I don't have to do anything special. Just check the app on my phone and wait for it to show up at my door.

lancem
11-16-2014, 10:33 AM
It used to drive me crazy listening to a month of that, but since we moved and can only get one station that I don't listen to (NPR), I realize how much I wasn't missing it!!! Sort of like a hemorrhoid after it's gone :)

obssd1958
11-16-2014, 01:08 PM
Bah humbug!!!!

runfiverun
11-16-2014, 02:23 PM
the best sales prices are the sat/sun before black Friday.

TXGunNut
11-16-2014, 09:38 PM
the best sales prices are the sat/sun before black Friday.

Maybe sooner than that. Cabelas had my long sleeve shirts on for less than I've seen them for a long time, even had three in my size. :-) Even scored some LVR powder and caught RP 9 1/2 primers on sale. After using my points I made out like a bandit tonight--and can't recall hearing any Christmas music while I was there. ;-)