PDA

View Full Version : lube help

coalgeo
02-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Would like to use an all purpose lube - if one exists, for both rifle and handgun with smokeless powder. Not looking for super high velocity but rather target/plinking rifle loads and target and hunting handgun loads. Will likely keep rifle loads around 1,800 fps and handgun loads at 1,000 or less. I have a 450 Lyman and a currently defunct Lyman 45 that I am working on. Would rather not use a heater but am open to suggestions. When the Lyman 45 is up and running I intend to use SPG and size primarily .45-70 bullets (Lyman 45712). If a different handgun and rifle lube are required may have to spring for a new Lyman 4500.
Greg

NuJudge
02-10-2008, 06:57 PM
NRA formula 50% Alox 2138F, 50% Beeswax does it for me. I've used a little SPG and other black powder lubes, and have a dedicated lube machine for heated lube, but the rest is all NRA formula.

The only detraction is that it is a little smokey indoors with low pressure loads.

CDD

XBT
02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
I agree. The NRA formula will work fine for you and requires no heaters.

357maximum
02-10-2008, 07:54 PM
If you are not into cooking and enjoy domestic tranquility go here:

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube

Glenn will take right good care of you.

He sells the NRA 50/50 type soft lube, which will likely serve your undemanding needs. He also sells a hard carnauba red lube which is fantastic for when you want to beat on things, and he sells a BAC lube which is halfway between the two, and is actually a hybrid of both hard and soft. The BAC does not require heat in a 70-75 degree room and is my favorite of all his smokeless lubes. It is what I would call "ALL PURPOSE" or as close as one will get without spending tons of dollars in the search.

You will not find better prices, and no I am not affilliated with him, just a satisfied customer.

coalgeo
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Thank yto ou all.
357Max - I am going to place an order with lssstuff. My sizer/lubricator is only 5 or 6 feet from the wood burner so it is more than 70 degrees most of the winter. I think I will try a couple of sticks of each.
The two reds may come in handy - I do occassionaly make up some "real" 44 mag loads and 45 Colt loads for the Blackhawks.
Greg

Larry Gibson
02-10-2008, 09:46 PM
I used Javelina for many, many years with complete satisfaction. It is the NRA formula of 50/50 beeswax/alox.

Larry Gibson

44man
02-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Buy your lube from Glenn and be forever happy. I still have some of his left from the samples he sent. Haven't been shooting that much because of hunting season and now the weather. I will sure buy some more when I run low. He makes better stuff then you will buy anywhere at a much better price.
I hold him and his products in very high regard. :drinks:

chinewalk
02-11-2008, 12:05 PM
I agree with 44man. Glenn and Leah make a good product and are good people.

I've been shooting their 2500+ in my .500 and .44 with excellent results.

Two weeks ago I placed an order with them for more 2500+, but received the 50/50 lube instead. I went back to my email order and realized that I had asked a few questions and didn't state specifically that I wanted 2500+ (geez, I scare myself somethimes). I contacted them and they told me they were shipping the 2500+ that day and to keep and do whatever I wanted with the 50/50. This is A+ customer service!

I would feel guilty in using any of the 50/50 myself and have been passing it out for local casters to try.

Ed

mtgrs737
02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
I use Lar's BAC exclusively. I am thinking about trying his Carnuba Red as I have heard a lot about it. All his products are good, and it is great to support a member of this forum and a person that gives good customer service.

pdawg_shooter
02-11-2008, 12:43 PM
DITTO ON BAC. Betst thing since pockets on a shirt !!!