PDA

View Full Version : reloader no. 7 color

barrrel
09-21-2005, 07:13 PM
Iopened new can of no. 7 it was a green color and different texture than the older can i had been using,plus weighed more on scales,any ideas? TIA mike

35remington
09-21-2005, 07:22 PM
Yes, it used to be made in the US and had colored granules in it-red, green blue, etc. It is now manufactured by Bofors in Sweden, if I recall correctly. The burn rate is supposedly close to being the same as it was before. I have confirmed that is true in a few calibers but I have not worked up some new loads for the Swedish stuff in some of my guns because I have a lot of the old stuff on hand.

I can tell you it does work for some cast bullet loads, and for full power loads in the .35 Remington, .45-70, etc. just as it did before. It's pretty good for the .25-20 too.

9.3X62AL
09-21-2005, 08:08 PM
It's pretty good for the .25-20 too.[/QUOTE]

Oh, really? Talk to me.

35remington
09-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Dep. Al, I always had problems with velocity swings in the .25-20 when using a lot of the popular powders-2400, 4227, 296, etc. that were used for full power loads in the .25-20. This may explain some of my preference for filler when using most powders. And the fact that I shoot a tip barrel single shot in that caliber may have something to do with it, as the powder is often bunched around the bullet end of the case after closing the action.

This didn't help accuracy much.

With RL7, I can get a caseful with full power loads using a variety of lead bullets from 70 to 85 grains, and the case is pretty full if loads are reduced somewhat from top levels as well. Velocities are right in line with the best achievable in the caliber and do not vary as with, say, H4227. Generally, this results in the best accuracy in my gun.

FWIW, I've found 'Lilgun does not have these velocity swings with a partially filled case, the only powder I've tried that was not affected by lower loading density. Unfortunately, when my rifle is zeroed at fifty for my small game loads using the RCBS Cowboy @1150-1250 fps or so, full power loads using the Lee Group buy GC and 'Lilgun hit higher and to the right. The RL7 loads hit right in line with the lighter loads and just one inch higher at fifty (both loads shooting the Lee GC at 1900-1950 fps) with the same sight setting. This results in dead center hits at 100 with the heavier load. I carry the heavier loads with me in case I stumble upon something bigger during my rabbit/squirrel hunts.

The load interchangeability and low velocity variation of RL7 work for me. It's sorta like loading the .270 with H4831-a case full of powder always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.