PDA

View Full Version : CVA Optima

kysunfish
11-13-2014, 06:54 AM
Last year I updated my muzzleloader and I'm a little let down by the performance of the load of 2 777 pellets and a 45 cal J-word 230 gr. HP. I bought sabots to fit 45 instead of 44 because I have a couple 45's. I shot a buck square on the shoulder at 25 yards and he ran 100 yards uphill and not one drop of blood was found until I found him. I could use some advice on how heavy I can go on lead and charge to get better results. Thanks to all for reading. Sunfish

Willyp
11-15-2014, 03:57 AM
2 of them pellets is plenty. On the CVA site,i read about my Wolf and it stated that no bullet bigger than a 300 grainer or a conical over 400 grains should be used.
How was the deer tore up,from the bullet hit? Did it hit bone?

11-15-2014, 09:36 AM
How'd a .45 T/C maxi-ball work? Cast as soft - hard as you like and get the performance you're looking for.

mooman76
11-15-2014, 11:57 AM
Not sure what you want. Can't get deader than dead. It's pretty common for dear to run a short ways after being shot. They just don't always drop on the spot. The only one that I've shot that dropped on the spot was because I misjudged distance and shot hight. He was shot near the spine.

Gun Nut
11-15-2014, 07:36 PM
I would aim top right of heart not the shoulder??? You hit heart/lungs and theres going to be blood. Did you have a exit hole?

newton
11-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Last year I updated my muzzleloader and I'm a little let down by the performance of the load of 2 777 pellets and a 45 cal J-word 230 gr. HP. I bought sabots to fit 45 instead of 44 because I have a couple 45's. I shot a buck square on the shoulder at 25 yards and he ran 100 yards uphill and not one drop of blood was found until I found him. I could use some advice on how heavy I can go on lead and charge to get better results. Thanks to all for reading. Sunfish

I just got an optima this year. Loving it. I know its counter intuitive having an inline and using loose powder, but pre charged tubes are almost as quick as pellets. If you want something that drives tacks, and puts a deer down in short order try the paper patching thing with the Lee S&W boolit. It might be more than what your willing to get into, but if you are willing its worth it. My optima drives them perfect and I have already got to test it out on one deer. I think I will even take it again later on this season and leave my rifle in the case.

Read up on it if you want, the first thread stickied at the top of this section has all the info you need.

newton
11-18-2014, 11:42 AM
2 of them pellets is plenty. On the CVA site,i read about my Wolf and it stated that no bullet bigger than a 300 grainer or a conical over 400 grains should be used.
How was the deer tore up,from the bullet hit? Did it hit bone?

I have contacted them and the nothing over 400 grain is intended only for those who like to shoot 3 pellets. I contacted them a few years back when I was shooting my 515 grain conicals and they said that 100 grains would be max that I should use.

newton
11-18-2014, 11:48 AM
Broadside with a 1/2" hole going in and going out, which will happen with a slug that is heavy enough no matter if you hit both shoulders or not, will leave blood on the ground 100% guaranteed. Head on might not, but will put them down within eyesight.

Full size heavy slugs disrupt so much of the internals that it takes them down quick. It does what a high powered rifle does, except without the bloodshot meat. Now, if you hit one square in both shoulders I am sure your going to waste some meat, but right behind the shoulders, or between the two shoulders if they are coming straight on, and DRT and not much meat loss.

The optima is a good gun, you just need to get the best boolit for it.

tomcat388th
11-20-2014, 06:16 PM
I shoot a 300grain 45 cal XTP with 100 grains of blackhorn 209 out of my optima. Which bullet brand were you shooting. I've shot a couple of deer with my 44 mag using nosler 240 jhp was not pleased with the way they performed if you tangled with the shoulder bone you were lucky to make it into the lungs. Same load with 240 xtp {22.5 h110} if it hits bone it went through or was in the far shoulder.
Plus I had to get myself to aim lower even a high pass through the lungs doesn't leave much blood especially if your at ground level with them at least in tree stand you can get a lower exit hole

KCSO
11-20-2014, 07:12 PM
A deer shot plumb in the heart has enought O2 in his blood to run for 15-20 seconds. Your gun and bullet worked just fine, they don't all just flop over and lay there.

koger
11-20-2014, 11:24 PM
I would try the powerbelts, 290 grain, what my wife shoots in her, my BIL also shoots them in his Optima, 90-100grains of 777, wife shoots 95 grains of 2ffg black, bores big hole in her critters, usually go about 26 inches, flop!

Motor
11-22-2014, 12:03 AM
I would try the powerbelts, 290 grain, what my wife shoots in her, my BIL also shoots them in his Optima, 90-100grains of 777, wife shoots 95 grains of 2ffg black, bores big hole in her critters, usually go about 26 inches, flop!

Powerbelt is what I use also. They are kind of the last resort for picky inlines but there are some that do better with other bullets. I'm talking accuracy here. As for results on whitetail deer I have had excellent results with the 50cal 295gr HP Powerbelt. I use 100gr FFg loose 777.

The Powerbelt is nothing more than a mini ball but instead of having a hallow base it has a plastic one and most are clad in shiney metal but some are plain lead and of course some have plastic tips.

I use them in my flintlock too and the loose 777.

koger
11-22-2014, 12:29 AM
The CVA Optimas, were designed to shoot the powerbelts, not an after thought. Guns that don't shoot the lighter bullets well, shoot the heavier ones better, because the heavier slug, starts off slower, builds up chamber pressure and seals the skirt better, according to the company. We have 3 Ml's that shoot cloverleafs at 100yds with the 295 powerbelts.

kysunfish
11-25-2014, 07:02 AM
Well I bought some orange Sabots from MML and some 405gr .458 FN Montana Swaged lead. I need to remove the lube and weigh out some Goex FFg 90Gr. ? If this doesn't work out I'm going to try paper patching. I think (like everyone is saying) that I'm hitting the deer with the wrong boolits. I've got some work to do and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks all for responding I really appreciate it . Sunfish

trickyasafox
11-27-2014, 12:21 AM
For what it is worth, I have a CVA Accura (v1) that does really well with 110gr loose pyrodex and 250gr powerbelts. Wish I found a cast that shot as well in it. Just haven't found one that grouped as tight as the powerbelts. I need a Pb to replace the PBs. . .