PDA

View Full Version : MP hollow point .45acp mold availability

Matt Agee
11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
How can one obtain a hollow point 4 cavity mold from MP molds for a .45 acp ? Every time I check they are out of stock. I heard something about group buys from this group ? Thanks in advance.

chucky64
11-12-2014, 11:15 PM
If you want fast results and be able to get your mold in a timely fashion, your best bet is to go to, http://noebulletmoulds.com . There are a bunch of molds to choose from there and you will be able
to get to casting much sooner by going the NOE route. Check the different forums on this site and
you can find lots of info on the different mold makers that cater to the cast bullet crowd.
I was able to get a 9mm and 10mm off the MP website several years ago and am happy with them both. If you go join a group buy for a MP mold on this forum the average wait seems to be more than a year. I did the wait and got two molds. PM me if you got any questions and will try to help if I can.
but patience is a virtue when joining a group buy.

Beagle333
11-12-2014, 11:26 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229962-MiHec-2-or-4-cavity-brass-45-RCBS-Cramer-HP-Rerun

This group buy just closed on the 230gr. Send MiHec a pm with your paypal info and what mold you want and he always has overruns of newly closed GB's. :cool:
It might take him overnight, or two weeks to reply to your PM, but he always comes through for me. He's kinda busy. Good luck!

He probably has some from this one too.... according to post #657
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?155635-MiHec-452374-brass-four-cavity-solid-or-hollow-point

freebullet
11-12-2014, 11:40 PM
Buying an mp mold is a slippery slope, you've been warned. For hollow points I've found none better. He might take a bit to get back to you but his overall customer service and generosity is top notch. Send him a pm about what you want and include an email or paypal.

MtGun44
11-12-2014, 11:52 PM
MP molds are works of art that produce boolits, in quantity! Our friend
from Slovenia is a real artist with a CNC mill.

Jump in with both feet but they are addicting. Just an explanation of his
business model - he got started here, offering to build a mold that he
showed first as a beautiful 3D image from a solid modeling package.
Then the molds arrived and looked BETTER. He has been producing
highest quality molds for a number of years now, and pretty much
only does group buys, with some intentional overruns now that he
is producing a lot of molds. The only stock appears to be those
overruns and they don't really last long, maybe a few months, at
best, frequently a few weeks and they are gone. Last time I checked
his GB plate was full for a very long time.

Bill

ipijohn
11-12-2014, 11:54 PM
I have a 9 MM HP from MP it's great. I also have a 45 ACP HP from NOE it is also great also. I would go with who has what you want.

Moonie
11-13-2014, 11:07 AM
I have a 2 cavity of the mold you are looking for, I think I'll be buried with it. Even with lot of use, it is a work of art.

tomme boy
11-13-2014, 11:28 AM
His pistol moulds are OK at best. I have had LEE moulds that cast better than his. I had a rifle mould of his that was so bad it was complete junk. Took 2 years to get it then everyone had to have them replaced or they sold them off as they would not release the bullets unless you literally beat the mould to death.

Call Al at NOE and get one that actually works.

Beagle333
11-13-2014, 11:36 AM
Either way you go, both brands hold their value very well, so if you should decide you didn't like it.... your loss would be minimum.

RED333
11-13-2014, 08:18 PM
I aint selling none of my MP molds, and yes, they do grow on ya.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/MP%20molds/DSCF1262_zps7cf14692.jpg (http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/MP%20molds/DSCF1262_zps7cf14692.jpg.html)

Lonegun1894
11-14-2014, 03:16 AM
Matt,
I agree. Get one when you can, but best bet seems to be the group buys, and they need a little patience. Just don't get mad at us when it isn't your last.

Red,
I'm glad someone has more of them than I do. I'm only up to 4, and like them all.

MiHec
11-14-2014, 09:04 AM
I will have some molds ready to ship in few days.... 452-200 HP in 4 cav brass....

mold maker
11-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I aint selling none of my MP molds, and yes, they do grow on ya.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac165/redintn/MP%20molds/DSCF1262_zps7cf14692.jpg (http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/MP%20molds/DSCF1262_zps7cf14692.jpg.html)

I have the same experience, and you can't beg, borrow, or steal them.
Likewise with the NOE molds. You can buy bigger and cheaper, but not better.

dragon813gt
11-14-2014, 09:48 AM
Sign up for a GB and wait. It's a slow play w/ his molds, not instant gratification. I have a bunch of them but the hollowpoint appeal wore off quickly. Brass molds have a narrow operating band and everything needs to be just right to cast perfect hollowpoints. I think I have around fifteen of his molds. The 640 nose profile is outstanding. Those molds are really worth the wait.

Dale53
11-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I have been casting bullets since about 1949. I have about 80 moulds from all of the major manufacturers. The finest moulds I have EVER seen are Mihec's with NOE a close second. I still do a good bit of casting (under 10,000 per year) and LOVE my Mihec and NOE moulds. For the record, I have not had the opportunity to buy an Accurate mould but they get very good reviews on here.

Good people, the "good ol' days" are NOW!!

FWIW
Dale53

MtGun44
11-15-2014, 03:28 AM
Have to laugh about someone saying MPs are no good. I'll bet
there is no problem selling any you don't like.

Finest quality molds I have ever used, and NOE are excellent, too.

Bill

NoZombies
11-15-2014, 04:26 AM
His pistol moulds are OK at best. I have had LEE moulds that cast better than his. I had a rifle mould of his that was so bad it was complete junk. Took 2 years to get it then everyone had to have them replaced or they sold them off as they would not release the bullets unless you literally beat the mould to death.

I own a number of both brands. My first NOE mold had so many problems it took a long time for me to buy another, but I was glad I did, as all the others since then have been fine.

The only problem I've had with MP molds were when the HP pins were made too large in diameter for the blocks. Are your referring to something else, or was that the problem with yours?

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 08:46 AM
He's referring to the 30 Silhouette mold. It's the only MP mold I've ever gotten rid of. It has a really deep lube groove and would not release from the mold. Particularly the third cavity. Every mold had this problem. I didn't wait for a fix because I have the three cavity HP version. Even w/ the HP pins pulling it from the block the deep lube groove design causes problems. Bases tearing off or crooked bullets is a problem. It's more of a design problem then mold problem w/ that one.

MP molds are not for everyone. They can be very finicky. None of mine operate at the same temp/cadence. Finding the sweet spot can take some time. But when you do they rain bullets.

On the flip side I recently purchased two NOE molds. They are the easiest casting molds I own. Bullets literally jump off the blocks when opening them. I only have one MP mold that does this. All the others require light tapping.

I'm a fan of both brands but have moved away from hollowpoints because of the quirks of the molds. It's much easier to produce a large quantity of solids.

tomme boy
11-15-2014, 09:46 AM
I also had 2 other 45 cal HP molds that were problem childs. I have another 45 and a 9mm right now that if you use the blank pins, you have to beat the heck out of them to get the bullets out. I have tried running temps all over the place and casting at different speeds and heating the mold up at different temps. The only reason I still have them is they shoot really good. The 30 SIL, now that is a whole another story.

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 09:51 AM
You have some bad luck ;)
Sorry to hear about all the problems. I've never had any major issues when using the blank pins. The 358156 is a pain until the mold temp is just right. And it's an extremely narrow band. Over two year wait and then the frustration of getting it to work properly does get long in the tooth at times. But like you said, the designs shoot well.

jmsj
11-15-2014, 12:18 PM

I only have 3 of his molds but my experience has been the opposite of yours. Mihec's molds have been quick to break in and start casting/dropping beautiful on spec boolits.
That said I have not gotten a bad mold from NOE either.
The only complaint I could possibly have w/ Mihec's molds is the long wait to get them but I know that going in on a group buy.
I bet if you put your MP molds up for sale you could sell them fast if they aren't beat up.
jmsj

ballistim
11-21-2014, 05:32 PM
I will have some molds ready to ship in few days.... 452-200 HP in 4 cav brass....

This is a fantastic mold for my RIA 1911, I love it!