PDA

View Full Version : My other hobby. Leather holster design and making. Ruger SR9C IWB for family member

Tallbald
11-12-2014, 02:37 PM
I know that for the most part all I've done here is ask questions and show my progress towards becoming an adequate bullet caster and loader. Another hobby I've had for several years is designing, making my own patterns, cutting and sewing leather holsters for self and family. I dye black holsters with a home made "vinegaroon" mix as did our ancestors. Basically, it's iron dissolved in vinegar and just like rain on nails in oak barn wood, the tannin in the leather blackens. I finish my holsters with commercial leather conditioner followed by a 50/50 homemade mix of beeswax and neatsfoot oil. I had to give up hand stitching last year because of arthritis, but bought a clone of an old design true leather sewing machine.
These two holsters are for a family member needing an in-the-waistband holster in which to carry his Ruger SR9C pistol. I made him two different styles, and he can use the one he prefers and do whatever with the other. The pancake style holster has the rough (flesh) side against the body for retention. Double stitched for strength on my machine, I'm still having to accommodate my arthritis in tight sewing turns so you may see where I veered off a small amount on the one. As with casting, I'm still learning the craft of machine stitching. A world different from the cloth sewing I enjoy on a vintage 1934 Singer 201 hand crank sewing machine, the leather has a mind of its own at times. The nickeled clips are secured to the leather tab with a solid copper rivet, then the tab is sewn to the holster before the holster is sewn itself. That way there's no contact between the rivet and the finish of the firearm.
Thanks for looking. Don

Iron Whittler
11-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Nice job. If you venture into western style gun rigs, I would like to see your work. You may be very busy. Best wishes to you.:cbpour:

11-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Wow. You have talent! Thanks for sharing the pics.

John Allen
11-12-2014, 03:09 PM
Leatherworking is something I always wanted to learn. The holster looks great.

Tallbald
11-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks folks. I appreciate to input. Don

dondiego
11-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Where do you get the leather sewing machines? The ones that I looked at were over $1000!

kbstenberg
11-12-2014, 05:14 PM
Don my hats off to your ability! I have made a couple holsters but nothing as good as yours.

Tallbald
11-12-2014, 05:44 PM
Dondiago I used proceeds from sale of several "safe queens" back in the spring to pay for the sewing machine. Penny urged me to buy the machine, and also urged me NOT to sell the safe queens (but I did because I feel it was the right thing to do). Mine is a Cowboy 3500 from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machine in Ohio. It was $2300 shipped, but came assembled, tested, and adjusted. Yes, it's Chinese clone of a Japanese Juki industrial machine, but was better priced than the $6000 real thing. I don't know of any new USA made machines like this I could dream of affording. There are several brands of the same machine sold by dealers across the USA. The only difference in many of them is the color scheme and cost to ship (East of the Mississippi versus West I guess). I received lots of advise and did a lot of research before buying. Dealer support is a critical factor too. I went with the machine that can sew almost an inch thick layers of leather instead of 1/2 inch capacity, because if I ever have to sell out I'm in horse country and these machines can be set up to run off a non-electric line shaft (to satisfy Amish users I'm told) also. My machine is cast iron and weighs in at about 300 pounds on its casters.
It was a lot of money to spend but I had to consider this: the price of four unused safe queens that had appreciated a lot in 10 years paid for it. And I can't sew leather to sell at craft shows with a 10 inch stainless Super Blackhawk, a 9 1/2 inch Super Redhawk or a third stainless Ruger Old Army that sat in the safe for years loved but unused much.
Yes it's Chinese, a clone, and an import. But thanks to the current administration shutting down the last lead mine in our nation not long ago, withinn a few years any new lead I buy is going to be Chinese mined too. What am I going to do then? Refuse to cast because I can't find new lead mined here? Don

Oh. I'll add that if you folks only knew how many holsters have ended up in my "educational box" I'd be embarrassed. Good leather isn't really cheap at about $7 a square foot, but the nice thing is a holster mistake can usually be cut up and turned into say....a key ring.....or a knife sheath. Gotta accept there will be some re-purposing done (grin). Don

rintinglen
11-13-2014, 06:08 AM
I'll bet I have at least two dozen samples in my own "educational box." I have thought about springing for a sewing machine, but 2300 is a lot of dollars, so I'll still be sewing by hand. But that is beautiful work.

OuchHot!
11-13-2014, 03:38 PM
You do very nice work. The designs look to be comfortable....I like the shield next to the body and full access of the grip.

Charley
11-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Nice looking work. Definitely a learning curve, my first holsters were pretty awful. Somewhat better now.

Handloader109
11-13-2014, 10:24 PM
Love the design, really pretty work. If you want to make me one for my PPQ, I'd love to discuss.....

kir_kenix
11-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Nice looking holster! This is another hobby that I've always wanted to try. I think your holster looks very professional, and you could recoup all of your $2300 making pieces like that for sale. Maybe even enough to add a few more "templates" to your stable.

MaryB
11-14-2014, 12:10 AM
I am just learning leather work, couple of Tandy Leather kits and some small knife sheaths so far. Patterns I can cut on the laser engraver/cutter which is nice.

Bullwolf
11-14-2014, 02:00 AM
Very nice looking holsters that you made, you have some serious skills.

I am envious of your Cowboy 3500 sewing machine. I used to have an old metal heavy duty upholster Singer that would do a couple thicknesses of leather, or as many as 4 layers of Naugahyde. Have always regretted letting it go. The newer machines I have used just don't work quite as well, and I consequently end up doing a lot more sewing by hand.

I look at the saddle stitching machine they have at Tandy Leather, and I simply start to drool.

Again, excellent job there.

- Bullwolf

Tallbald
11-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Thank you all so much for the kind and generous comments. I'm still learning to design practical leather items. I must emphasize that the wonderful members of a couple different web forums were instrumental in helping me understand holster making from start to finish. I only create holsters right now for family and self. I really don't believe my skills are yet marketable. I've become faster though. I'll share a photo later today of an in-the-waistband one for my stainless CZ75B. It had to dry overnight under the table fan in our bedroom after rough forming on my gun itself (gun wrapped in plastic kitchen wrap though), and should be ready for belt snaps, final sewing and finishing today. A little cold to be out in the shop trying out my new 50-250-REAL mold, I'm sort of forced to remain indoors today.
Anyone wishing to learn the craft should visit the CasCity.com forum, and leatherworker.net and browse the tutorials and other postings. Full of kind and helpful members just like here, these two forums answered the multitude of questions I had and still come up with about every aspect of leather work. I'll add though, if you think you will ever want to make black items, give home made "vinegaroon" a try. But start making it now, because it takes several weeks to brew from table vinegar and de-oiled steel wool (there are several recipes from which to choose). Thanks again. Don

sigep1764
11-15-2014, 04:38 AM
I absolutely want one in black for my CZ 75b. If you are willing, I'd definitely discuss. I know you said only for friends and fam, but I can't resist trying.

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Good designs and quality work. Always a demand for that. Machine like that should be able to earn it's keep.

blackthorn
11-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Hey segep1764! Cast Boolits members ARE family!!! No????